US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Rich, looks there is not much left of the rigging of Argus. Great job you have there and also great help for building Syren.
Will be helpful for my build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, looks there is not much left of the rigging of Argus. Great job you have there and also great help for building Syren.
Will be helpful for my build.

There's a tremendous amount of rigging remaining.

Rich, 
What you are doing looks so simple.
How long time does one stay take to make and put in place?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, 

It comes with practice. This is not my first model.

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Rich, 

Installing one simple stay will takes several hours since I have to wait while the glue dries at one end then do the other end. then Wait until that glue dries, then trim the excess rigging. 

I'm starting to plan to fabricate deadeyes. I discovered the holes in my "new" deadeyes are so small I can't get a decent size line through them without drilling them out. Next, I realized that the new deadeyes have no depth. They are half the thickness of some old deadeyes I have. I'm going to have to purchase different deadeyes since I can't work with theses. Oh well?

deadeyes old vs new 001.JPG

deadeyes old vs new 002.JPG

Rich - those deadeyes are a kit.  Go to the website and find the instructions to assemble them, there are three pieces to each deadeye and when complete they will look great but they do require a little bit of assembly and finish work.

You should not be removing the individual bits from the parts sheet until three sheets are glued together.

Rich, once you download the instructions Gunther referenced you’ll see how easy they are to assemble. Each sheet of 21 parts makes 7 deadeyes. 

I found that it is possible to reverse a face and get the relief slots reversed.

A dot of wood glue is all you need. I did find I had to clean glue out from the holes before I could run my lanyards. A reamer from micro mark worked wonders without splitting the deadeye. 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I just received new deadeyes from Amati and they are very high quality. I shall start rigging ASAP

new deadeyes 001.JPG

new deadeyes 002.JPG

I rig my shrouds differently than most. I make jigs and pre-make the deadeyes. I use a bent paperclip bent to size and use a dab of CA glue to make a needle point of the rigging cord. I make a small knot at the end and thread it . Then I paint the back with PVA glue to hold it all in shape. I then install the chainplates with the deadeyes. When that's done I rig the shroud.

deadeye jig 001.JPG

deadeye jig 002.JPG

Here's my deadeye factory. From mounting the blanks, to preparing the rigging cord, to threading the deadeye, To glueing the deadeye, to trimming the finished deadeyes.

deadeye factory 003.JPG

deadeye factory 009.JPG

deadeye factory 004.JPG

deadeye factory 005.JPG

deadeye factory 006.JPG

deadeye factory 008.JPG

deadeye factory 001.JPG

deadeye factory 002.JPG

On 4/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, src said:

Thats a novel way of doing it Rich. I see you knotted one end but how do you finish off the running end of the lanyard?

Sam

I just give it a little dab of PVA. It's not very visable so I can't see going through great lengths to make it realistic.

Edited by HIPEXEC

I'm straining my 80 year old eyes to make chainplates for the main shrouds. Tiny chain, tiny everything.

making chainplates 003.JPG

making chainplates 001.JPG

making chainplates 002.JPG

I'VE ROUGH MOUNTED THE DEADEYES AND CHAINPLATES. NOW I HAVE TO GET THE ANGLES CORRECT BEFORE NAILING IN THE "TAILS". THEN I CAN RIG THE FIRST SHROUDS

chainplates and deaeyes mounted 002.JPG

chainplates and deaeyes mounted 001.JPG