US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Jim & Jesse,

Yes Sapele is a beautiful wood, but hard as steel. I built my whole US Constitution out of it and it was very difficult. It will good for pinrails though

I marked the top of the pinrails so they will all be on the same plain. I've found in the past when I'm trying to glue things on the same plain "by eye" somehow they never line up.

marking pinrails top 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I'm starting gluing on the starboard side pinrails. BTW the glue side of the pinrails have to be curved to fit their particular section of the gunwale.

Starboard side pinrails curved 001.JPG

I touched up the installed pinrails with a light coat of varnish. Now I'll move on the the boarding ladders

pinrails varnished 001.JPG

I'm experimenting making the perfect boarding ladder rungs. So far, no good. I'll have to go shopping for different woods to make them to my satisfaction.

boarding ladder experiments 001.JPG

Rich - I'd be happy to help you.  I have some woods that I think you'd like, and we could mill them to whatever size you need.  Come on down!

12 minutes ago, Mahuna said:

Rich - I'd be happy to help you.  I have some woods that I think you'd like, and we could mill them to whatever size you need.  Come on down!

Thanks, Frank. After the holidays I probably will come down. 

Merry Christmas! :piratebo5:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm finally back. I've been dealing with the "Big C" since February and there was no time or energy to focus on my build. It feels good to focus on something other than medical stuff.

boarding ladders 003.JPG

My prayers for you Rich. I struggle with Chronic Lyme and I know what you mean. Got another Dr. appointment this afternoon. There is something therapeutic about getting back to the work bench.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Now I'm building the Main Fife Rail. Tiny little bugger that wants to break even though it's laminated. I'm going to pin as well as glue the rail to the deck.

buiding the main fife rail 001.JPG

Hello, Rich! I recently joined MSW and have been readying through your log these past couple of days. I finally caught up on it all and I feel like I've been learning a lot just by watching your progress.

I'm sorry to hear about the big c. I'll be praying for you and yours. It's rough on everyone involved. :(

I look forward to seeing more on your build!

Cheers,

Andrew

----------

Current: Amati Viking Drakkar

4 hours ago, Ryzuhr said:

Hello, Rich! I recently joined MSW and have been readying through your log these past couple of days. I finally caught up on it all and I feel like I've been learning a lot just by watching your progress.

I'm sorry to hear about the big c. I'll be praying for you and yours. It's rough on everyone involved. :(

I look forward to seeing more on your build!

Thanks, Ryzuhr

I just built the deck thickening around each mast. Tricky devils drilling the mast sized holes in this fragile wood.

deck thickeners masts 001.JPG

deck thickeners masts 002.JPG

9 hours ago, rafine said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to see you back at modeling.

Bob

Thanks, Bob

9 hours ago, rafine said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to see you back at modeling.

Bob

Thanks, Bob

for & aft masts deck thickenerd installed 001.JPG

for & aft masts deck thickenerd installed 002.JPG

The above pics are of the deck thickeners around the main mast and foremast. Delicate stuff kept wanting to break.

Main mast fife rail installed.

I hate to complain, but the wood that comes with this kit is terrible. It splits, cracks, and just plain difficult to work with. I have substituted my own wood in many instances. This fife rail is an example.

fife rail on deck 001.JPG

I've built the bowsprit bit ( inboard support for the base of the bowsprit.) Now I have to clean it up, stain it, then pin and glue it to the deck

boesprit bit 001.JPG

Yes you are right Rich, the kit supplied wood is awful. I had to use other wood for many parts too, especially the fife rail.

Jesse 

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle