US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

22 hours ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Rich, you can do as you like. in reality the ships changed as each Captain liked, and you are the Captain of that beautiful ship.  I asked my son to take some pictures of my old Argus, may take some time- my 2 year ago and 3 month old grandsons keep him busy.  Weather on L.I. has been great, I should be doing yard work, but I am trying to finish the hull work on my Frigate Philadelphia so I can start rigging.  And I started the frames for the 1799 Frigate Congress.  If I can learn how to do it I will start a building log.  Old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes time.  Stay safe and good luck with the Storm!- Hal

Thanks for everything. Please, start a log!!!!

5 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich - I know this is taking you way back. But I need help. As you can see from my log I am about to add the upper wale. I do not see any marks on the bulkheads of my kit nor does Per. so I am not sure where it should lay. How did you make sure it was correct? Planking is my nemesis, and I want this one to be as good as yours.

I can't open your Syren build site?

5 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich - I know this is taking you way back. But I need help. As you can see from my log I am about to add the upper wale. I do not see any marks on the bulkheads of my kit nor does Per. so I am not sure where it should lay. How did you make sure it was correct? Planking is my nemesis, and I want this one to be as good as yours.

Look on page 6 (six) on my build site. That's how I started the wales

Hi Rich,

Reading through the first page of this log I found a post where you were asking how to put this log into your Signature. I've cleaned your Signature up a bit - the ship's name is now also the Link. I also removed the link to HMS Surprise as the log no longer exists.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

6 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Hi Rich,

Reading through the first page of this log I found a post where you were asking how to put this log into your Signature. I've cleaned your Signature up a bit - the ship's name is now also the Link. I also removed the link to HMS Surprise as the log no longer exists.

:cheers:  Danny

I give up trying to make gudgeons that look good. I will now try to purchase them. The kit only provides a strip of brass for pintels and gudgeons. In the meantime I am still pre-making different components that will be added later. I can't glue too many things that stick out while I wrestle with installing the rudder. After the rudder is installed, the ship will stay basically upright.

The pics show the mass production of planks that will make up the gunports whether I make half or full gun port lids, I now have the pre-cut pieces I will need

mass production of gun port covers 001.JPG

mass production of gun port covers 002.JPG

I finally bought hardware to mount the rudder. They are pre-made but I will have to bend and cut them to size. That's easier than trying to make them from scratch. I had to pin and glue the top portion of the rudder since it snapped off while sizing the inserts.

I also installed the full size gun port lids on the two forward gun ports as per the instructions. Hinges will be added after a while.

rudder progress etc 001.JPG

rudder progress etc 003.JPG

rudder progress etc 005.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

6 hours ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Hi Rich, some pictures of my 1:96 Argus, one of my first ships:

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.d37bedfed1a02aa799e82cd29ed43112.JPGIMG_1026.thumb.JPG.73c4515e97070c500b98477ba12a06e2.JPGIMG_1029.thumb.JPG.e5ee34d161b83f6eb6d7c40d1193035f.JPG

Oh! She's a beauty!!  I shall study these pics many times.

Thanks to Seahawk1313, I now have multiple views of a model of the Argus! Hooray!!  :dancetl6:

I'm finally starting fitting out the rudder. I always struggle with pintels and gudgeons.

working on the rudder 001.JPG

Seahawk1313's Argus has a beautiful eagle mounted on the stern. I'm going to dig up and eagle and glue it on my transom. 

The Eagle has landed!                 Just like Seahawk1313's Argus

eagle has landed 001.JPG

Trying to move on but have now  started being a detective. The kit comes with a few sheets of laser cut parts THAT ARE NOT NUMBERED OR LABELED!  The drawings only show various parts but also are not labeled. Obviously some parts are easy to identify having built several models that have similar characteristics, but some I have to play detective to figure out what and where they go. Most kits have detailed numbering or lettering systems to show where parts go. Not Model Expo. Oh well....nobody said it would be easy.

laser cut parts 001.JPG

laser cut parts 003.JPG

laser cut parts 002.JPG

To me this is the scariest part of this build. I can't wait to see what you do.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I'm still playing detective looking for pre-cut parts that the instructions say are supposed to be there? As you can see from the instruction picture versus my picture...the pieces from the bowsprit across the stem onto the hull are missing? I called Model Expo but now we are playing phone tag and without pre-labeling or numbering on the kit's part, I can't imagine how I will even communicate what I can't find. Oh well, I'll just have to design and fabricate my own parts.  

missing bowsprit pieces 001.JPG

missing bowsprit pieces 002.JPG

With the help of pics in Rustyj's Syren, I figured out where the missing pieces were. Thanks Rustyj!:dancetl6:

Are you going to use the razor method to create the groove in these pieces?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I just added extensions to the bowsprit scrolls since the pre-cuts didn't reach the hull.

scroll extensions 001.JPG

I've pre-bent the plank I'll be cutting for the hawse holes plank that sits between the "cheeks" on the forward hull. I'll select two small pieces that coincide with the exact shape of that section of hull. It's just a slight curve but enough so a straight piece will not lie flat.

pre bending hawse hole plank 001.JPG

pre bending hawse hole plank 002.JPG

I had pre-varnished the veneer planks on the hull to protect them while I worked on the boat. Now I have to sand and scrape the varnish off in order to glue anything to it.

sanding varnish off 002.JPG

I started glueing pieces onto the bowsprit after days of designing the way I wanted to do it. I decided to just use contrasting colored wood instead of micro carving scrolls, etc. I carefully measured and marked everything and glued the port side pieces first then glued the starboard side pieces. Aaaargggh!    After I glued the last piece on the starboard side I took a look from straight on...somehow one side was almost 1/16 off???  I quickly stripped the newly glued pieces of and cleaned them up then re-glued them so the bow was  now symmetrical. The moral to this story is....keep checking balance when gluing port and starboard sides no matter how good all your marks are. One peep is worth a thousand pencil marks.

working on the bow 001.JPG

working on the bow 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC