US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Another pre-bent plank easily glues on with no clamping. The picture shows the plank 1 minute after gluing on. 

another pre bent plank easily glued 001.JPG

Pre-bending two more soaked planks. Only 9 more to go on each side, then it's planking the stern inside and out, then planking inside the gunwales.

9 planks to go 001.JPG

Sam,

I never have been able to do that before! I don't know why. With my Connie...I struggled, breaking plank after plank.

The pre-bending system is not perfect. This one took one clamp to get it tight at the stern

a one clamper 001.JPG

another day another plank being pre-bent. The open gap is shrinking, though. Slow but sure

more pre bendng 001.JPG

Anxious to see how you line off your hull for the second planking with your vaneer strips. It'll be interesting to see this ship finished without copper plates as it usually is. 

Steve

20 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

Anxious to see how you line off your hull for the second planking with your vaneer strips. It'll be interesting to see this ship finished without copper plates as it usually is. 

Steve

Steve,

I have never put the copper on since I like looking at all the wood working. My  first and last ship were veneered and I didn't have any trouble lining off the first veneer strip. Never gave it much thought.

Below is a pic of my last veneer job.

veneer 001.JPG

I will try your technique with my Syren.

Looks so clean and easy.

Very nice job.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Well, into each ship model build a little rain must fall. While pinning some planks for pre-bending, that very fragile stern proved to be too fragile....snap!  I'll repair it tomorrow after the planks dry.

a litle rain must fall 002.JPG

a litle rain must fall 001.JPG

a litle rain must fall 003.JPG

Aargh!  I had this idea that I would cut the stern shapers from some hardwood on the hope they'd be stronger as I've gather from several Syren build logs how fragile they are - probably wouldn't actually be any better would it???

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

56 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

Aargh!  I had this idea that I would cut the stern shapers from some hardwood on the hope they'd be stronger as I've gather from several Syren build logs how fragile they are - probably wouldn't actually be any better would it???

Perhaps if I pinned all the stern pieces it would be stronger. In this case I got careless and didn't protect the stern with foam pads that I usually use. It can not take any stress. Planking it will do the trick.

CAUTION! For those pre-bending soaked planks like I am....make sure you clean off all glue from the previous gluing. If you don't, the wet plank will stick to the old glue and you will probably break it to remove it so I can be glued properly

caution pre bend 001.JPG

Well...it took all day, but I finally put Humpty Dumpty together again. Then I fixed the pads near the stern to prevent that from happening again. I usually put those in place, but got lazy this time. Haste makes waste.

humpty dumpty 001.JPG

humpty dumpty 002.JPG

So close to close!  I'll bet you can taste that sweet success!

Nicely done!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

4 hours ago, bbrockel said:

Nice repair job.  I know you were not a happy camper when it happened.  :(

Well, it was a good lesson....to slow down and plan ahead better. I sometimes get on a roll and hate to slow down. Bad habit it ship building.

6 hours ago, Heronguy said:

So close to close!  I'll bet you can taste that sweet success!

Nicely done!

Yes. It will feel good to enclose the sides. Then I have to finish the stern with very poor plans and photos in their book. I'll figure it out ,though.

After that there's my veneer planks, then inside the gunwales, then the deck. So...a long way to go. But I will be happy with the sides closed in.

Down to two short planks on this side. I'm using the Philistine method of making stealers. I just use sharp points shaped to fit. I'll leave the correct method of making stealers to real ship builders and the purists.

Phillistine stealers 001.JPG

The last main piece on this side. Two very small pieces at the rudder post then I'll finish the other side.

last piece 001.JPG

Down to two pieces on this side. I'll probably finish the sides today if I'm not distracted by life.

Down to two 001.JPG