US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

The instructions call for me to finish the stern trimmings and cap rail before plunging into installing the decking. I pre-made the gold piece a while ago. I'm pre-shaping the stern cap trim. I am also shopping for 1/8" letters for the name "ARGUS" since the kit only comes with "SYREN" letters.

The gold trim piece has been glued but the cap is just snapped on for photo purposes.

stern eye candy 002.JPG

Cap trim on the transom is trickier than meets the eye. I got it on but I will have to do some artistic filling to make it look like I want it. Oh well, if it was easy anybody could do it. 

transom tricky work 003.JPG

Rich looks like you are off to a great start. Just remember old dogs can learn new tricks if motivated enough. OLD FARTS RULE!

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

2 hours ago, xken said:

Rich looks like you are off to a great start. Just remember old dogs can learn new tricks if motivated enough. OLD FARTS RULE!

Yea! Old Farts Rule! I like that. :10_1_10: By the way, your Connie looks great!

Edited by HIPEXEC

3 hours ago, src said:

I hear that phrase at work all the time!! :)

Looks good to my eyes Rich.

Sam

But with model ship building it's true. It's a challenge sometimes. :piratetongueor4:

I finished the basic trim on the transom. I'm not sure if I like it or not? I'll keep looking at it and tweaking it.

stern finished 001.JPG

I'm finishing the hull planking for the sliver I left off because that edge under the cap rail would have been too delicate while I planked the entire hull. I'm also bending the cap rail. The cap rails have to be bent flat side up which is difficult.

finishing hull planking 001.JPG

I'm using Chuck Passaro's method of flat or edge bending the cap rails. Only I did soak it for a little bit.

flat or edge bending 001.JPG

I'm fine tune bending the cap rail. Pre-bent was just a little off. By the way, I sanded down the bulkheads to make them just a bit thinner than the cap rail as per the instructions.

fine tune bending of cap rail 001.JPG

Starboard top rail glued and being held flush with masking tape. I now am tweaking the port top rail to get the curves exactly.

starboard rail glued 001.JPG

starboard rail glued 002.JPG

Port side top rail is now glued on. I only see one place on the starboard rail that will need my attention when the glue dries. I don't like the way it sits there. It will take some filling and sanding to make it right. Top rails are much easier when they come laser cut in the box. Making them yourself is many times harder.

port side top rail glued 001.JPG

port side top rail glued 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Now I'm prepping for planking the deck. I framed the companionway and a long time ago I pre-drilled the holes for the masts. The kit comes with two laser cut deck framing pieces for the forward part near the bow that don't quite match the curve of my hull. I'll have to tweak them.

planking prep 001.JPG

I made the cut to match the laser cut pieces to my raw material. Tricky cut. Now I'll tweak the laser cut pieces to fit my hull. They are just a bit off.

matching laser cut to raw 001.JPG

I glued on the margin planks with a little kentucky windage, forcing, bending and other acrobatics. It still isn't perfect but I have to eventually install waterways which should cover the small gaps.

margin planks 001.JPG

Well here's my hull without painting but it still gives the same dark/light look. I added some doo-dads to the stern to make it more pretty. The clamps on the bow are to show Heronguy that even at the state I'm in. The bowsprit is still vulnerable to breaking. I have been using these clamps since I broke off the bowsprit a while ago, but I still have to maneuver the hull where it could still be broken.

np paint look 001.JPG

np paint look 003.JPG

np paint look 002.JPG

np paint look 004.JPG

Very nice Rich.  Your Argus is going to be beautiful broken nose and all!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I decided to give all the veneer work a coat of varnish to "toughen" it up. It has a tendency to splinter when handled too much. The varnish will seal it. I've masked the few deck pieces I've installed since I don't want the deck varnished.

masking deck 001.JPG

masking deck 002.JPG

I masked the bow stem and keel since I do not know what I am doing with them yet and varnished all the planks to seal them. I used semi-gloss clear poly.

varnish 005.JPG

varnish 004.JPG

varnish 001.JPG

varnish 003.JPG

I'm finished with this stage of varnishing. Where ever I have to glue something to the varnished hull, I will sand a small space down to the wood for the glue. The whole thing will get some more varnish when finished to cover those sanded spots

varnish finished for now 003.JPG

varnish finished for now 002.JPG

varnish finished for now 001.JPG

Now that the varnish is done for now, it's back to deck planking. I'm using a number two pencil to darken the edge to simulate caulking. A good old #2 pencil can do a lot. It can make tree nails and other details.

continued deck planking 001.JPG

continued deck planking 002.JPG

21 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

I'm finished with this stage of varnishing. Where ever I have to glue something to the varnished hull, I will sand a small space down to the wood for the glue. The whole thing will get some more varnish when finished to cover those sanded spots

varnish finished for now 003.JPG

varnish finished for now 002.JPG

varnish finished for now 001.JPG

I'm going to do the letters again using a professional lettering person. They are just stick-on

The sign maker just finished the ship's name way ahead of schedule. I won't put it on until the ship is finished and final varnished

decking and ships name 003.JPG