I've posted odd questions before, so I feel comfortable posting another one.

Hardware stores can replicate nearly any color paint and sell small sample containers.  So why not use latex paint?  

Maybe everyone is and I am the last to figure it out.

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Latex is the current base for most model paints.   The difference between house paint from the hardware store and model paint is the size of the color chunks.  They're larger in house paint.  Model paint makers grind the paint color into smaller pieces.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Household latex paint is very thick as a result of the heavy pigment and will bury any detail. On the other hand if your woodwork is rough....... Hmm. If you were to model a water feature it might work pretty good over carved foam and then about 8 coats of Modge Podge over that. Might make passable water.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

The acrylic model paints usually have a pigment size of one micron vs the latex house paint having an average pigment size of 37 microns.  No way do you get a scale appearing coat of paint from latex house paint.  The same goes for the pigments in hardware store paints - much bigger than model paints.  Note that all the house paints tend to advertise "one coat coverage even over...."

Only a model paint with finely ground pigments can give you a scale thickness of paint on the model (or at least a lot closer to scale than with house paint).

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a little guidance here, I know this site is for highly detailed static models...   I am hoping for suggestions as to which type of paint for my RC boat's hull. It has been sealed with 3/4 oz fiberglass and 2 part epoxy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,. Thank you 

4 hours ago, cdnfurball said:

I'm looking for a little guidance here, I know this site is for highly detailed static models...   I am hoping for suggestions as to which type of paint for my RC boat's hull. It has been sealed with 3/4 oz fiberglass and 2 part epoxy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,. Thank you 

I would suggest a paint shop selling paint for cars. You will get amazing result with that type of paint.

You will also lay down couple of layers of putty (preferably auto putty (sanding in-between)) and primer as well, that if you want a great finish.

Look at my T37, which is pro-painted (not by me of course). My yacht has 12 layers of blue coating and two layers of clear coat on top of primer.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry