The Jolly Roger by popeye the sailor - Lindberg - 1:130 - PLASTIC

When I was at Hobby Lobby over the weekend I found this kit along with Captain Kid and they almost joined my ever growing shopping cart! Luckily the Admiral was with me and reminded me that I still needed food for the week. :D  I've yet to learn how to go into those stores and buy just the item I originally set out to get....

Keep up the good work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I was looking at images of the Capt Kidd kit online,  the day I made that earlier post concerning the three kits.  I think it's the same scale,  but it is a lot more involved than the jolly Rogers.....probably more parts to the kit as well.   I wanted to pick it up too,  the day I went.   the lower shrouds posed a problem for a little while.......thinking over just what to do about them.  the lack of instruction is bothersome.......since it doesn't direct what is to go below the channels.  I will have to scratch a solution for this,  I'm sure......most likely with wire ;)    I did figure out how to thread the shrouds through the channels....half the battle.   the channels have slots in them........why,  I'm not certain....but I drilled holes at the innermost depth of the slots,  and now I'm able to insert the tabs of the shrouds in them.

5940301a2c593_1.jpg.474373ea29effabd8b50243f6bcdb8dd.jpg

this does pose a small problem for the gun port lids......they might get in the way.   I wanted to add them before I did the masts,  but now I'm thinking I should wait,  so I can better situate the chains under the channels.   should have more soon on this.

I'm just as bad EJ.........I'm supposed to go back.......I need thinner and a few paints.   I always wish I could come back with something to add to my trove ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey you got it out!  Always fun to see this kit.  Your doing a great job with it. 

hey Daniel :)    yes!  here she is!  I saw yours too ;)   so far this week,  I've managed to get a little done.......got the bow spirit in place now.   I also got a bit of a setback.   after I took the picture above,  I removed the shrouds and laid them on my desk.   today,  I was moving stuff on my desk,  and I only had one of the shrouds.......I couldn't find the other one.   once I was sure that it was not anywhere around my desk.........I went to the dreaded cavern.  I found it in our bedroom,  under the bed.......Gibbs had gotten it and chewed it.  it's in three pieces.......I've managed to assemble the bottom parts....the top part is still in one piece.   if I can repair the bottom part,  then I can repair the rest.  if I don't try,  then I can look forward to this ship look'in weird.

thanks for the good word.......dig out your J.R.  and join the fun! :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Bob :)   it's not a bad kit.....it just has a few rough points.   

I've on and off this week on her.......later today,  I get to do a brake job on a piece of junk.....lucky me  :rolleyes:    I showed the remedy for the lower shrouds....I just drilled holes through the furthest point of the slots provided for them,  and it made the task easier.   I did install the bow spirit and the plastic imitation gammoning.....I touched it up this morning and made it look a little better.

5942bc8c3c35f_2.jpg.fba015b3f4666825ec00d087e43932a1.jpg

5942bc9a8be14_3.jpg.e663d4b2102b1560aaf9a9c49545ca16.jpg

I also reported that the carpet monster snatched up one of my fore mast shrouds,  and made off to his cavern lair.   it was an easy rescue.......I was surprised that it wasn't chewed to bits!  it was found in three pieces.....and not in too bad a state.  probably got interrupted by the furry four footers that rule the trees {seen out the window},  and rushed off to intervene the oncoming invasion.

I started to piece it back together......but forgot that I hadn't taken the initial picture of it's rescued state....so this will have to do.  the two halves of the bottom section,  have been somewhat pieced back together.  you might ask why I'm doing this......I think it best to have all the shrouds the same....having hand made ones on the lower,  with the plastic upper ones,  might look a bit weird.  5942bf9cd164c_4.jpg.25bdc3198469fe5289c1523fad5f60d4.jpg

After the mend job.....sanded and painted with flat lacquer......it doesn't look too bad.   I'll likely make a final adjustment when they are in place.

5942c23b074d9_5.jpg.4a21d7c84de4e9f0315cc1b8d8e983ba.jpg

at the moment,  I'm working on the masts,  installing eye bolts for rigging.   I'm using the smallest ones I have.   they may be hard to see.

5942c3cf6f56c_6.jpg.fe13b3d56df03652f921d6abd40e57e2.jpg

5942c3e025539_7.jpg.40ca4a81500938a96a23d16c244f6a86.jpg

5942c3efb48a3_8.jpg.ff98b862902419546d160a72a7600f1b.jpg

5942c402575f2_9.jpg.2ce6b6f6e5ed3e9e48783264114494d9.jpg

5942c411b5557_10.jpg.932413eab73eaecc543cb2f33a9307b7.jpg

I'll be sorting out the blocks in a bit.......I have some brown ones {mostly single blocks}.......but I have quite a few gray ones,  and they are a mix of single and double blocks.   I'll likely stick with one color.....chances are I'll dab 'em with flat black anyways.  I'll be touching the eye bolts up to lose the copper look as well.   more soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice repair job on that shroud. I've had several parts and one whole car look like it was used as a teething toy by Godzilla and I expect that despite my best efforts to prevent it, it will happen again. Love the four legged children but they can be a disaster around models!

Jolly Roger is looking better with each update! Great work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

The shrouds get very brittle over time.  My son got to mine one day and snapped them apart piece by piece which is why mine's in the condition that it is.  :/  Still it is a lot faster than rigging each line. 

thanks E.J.   I'm usually pretty careful.  {he's sitting right next to me,  so I gotta be careful what I say} ;)    look'in for his usual dose of lov'in......we just came in from outside.  I don't blame him, he's just do'in what's natural......it happens.  I lose more parts with the tweezers,  than I do with Gibbs ;)    yea......he's my little guy ;) 

doing the eye bolts for the back stays.....one sides done.   my brake job is here,  so I better go do that.   it won't take long ;) 

thanks for the good word :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi Daniel.......little hands can do a lot of damage.  when my grand sons are over.....it's all I can do to break the desire to play with my boats.   I can't blame them......I love play'in with them too :) 

thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Denis

I have been lurking about several of your builds, in fact one of them has gotten me in some trouble! I was reading your Titanic build and the Admiral saw it and made it clear that instead of building all the "Junkie looking" models that I like, that if I REALLY loved her I would build HER a large lit version of the Titanic of her own to be placed on her personal TV as a night light when she watches TV at night. Adding sound so that it plays the music from the movie would have to be considered as well of course!

So now I have accrued a 1/350th Titanic, (eBay) and means for lighting, and have identified the photo etch stuff that will be required. I have not lit a ship to this degree before and I have never worked with photo etch stuff at all, even though I have scratch built brass stuff for small plastic ships in years past. Now I will have to do it, just because of you! :default_wallbash: :)

I also have this kit, (Jolly Roger) in my horde and at first when I thought of getting started in building ships again after A LOT of years of not building I was going to build it as either the La Flore, or the Hermione. I built it as a much younger person some 35 or possibly 40 years ago and at that time I though it was a great kit and made into a very nice model, (But you know the memory can be misleading when you get to my age) that was why I have two of them on the shelf!

So you need to quit doing this kind of stuff! I am already trying to get a Brigantine done to give to a friend for his birthday, get time to start and build the Admiral's Titanic, and I want to build a MS Sultana, (Also already on the shelf from years ago) for one of my sons who has expressed an interest in that kind of ship model. I only have so many years left at my age and I need to get some of these done before they become eBay inheritances for my surviving kids to sell!

All aside though I do enjoy looking at your builds and am interested in seeing how this one turns out.

Lou  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I sincerely apologize Lou........to be honest with you,  my imagination has gotten me into quite a few situations,  that I would have rather avoided! ;)   if I had gone with LED,  my Titanic would probably be better off,  but I don't know enough about it to change it.   I would have liked it bigger too :)   I'm not much with photo etch either.....all I use is thin brass sheet and rod/wire.  the Thermopylae is the only one I have ever bought a photo etch sheet for.....and with how thick it was,  I wouldn't even classify it as photo etch.   I'm glad you enjoy reading my other logs...feel free to use any idea that I put in them.......especially if will keep you from getting into hot water with your admiral.  I know where your coming from ;)   she doesn't like me buying all the weird stuff.....she thinks I can scratch build it out of thin air.

thanks for the good word.....I hope you will follow along.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I will have to look up your build on the Thermopylae and see what you have done with her. I had not done so as yet because to be honest Clipper ships are not my favorite subject and second you do not provide links to your builds in your signature so I have to take the extra effort to look them up in the search feature of the forum. (I'm lazy) I have now corrected my slothfulness, (Is that a word?) and will be reading your post probably today.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

though I'm not quite ready for the rigging yet,  I figured I'd separate the blocks and see what I have.   I used some on the Gundalow,  so I'm hoping they look better on this model too.   better than the rings they supply in the kit.  I still have the revell Cutty Sark instructions......but the United States instructions are right here in the binder I keep at my desk.   on all of the rigging sheets for this series of Revell 1:96 scale kits,  they have a block identification diagram,  since to create some of them,  an eye needs to be cut off.

59441e729a500_1.jpg.3dd8e3b79053949f6487ef3b242a95fc.jpg

so,  with them all laid out..this is what I have,

594421fe7b37a_2.jpg.456ad328c52f0d2db02b693158475e44.jpg

5944220ae151e_3.jpg.29cde711b2c254e2cb9639e96d6a9470.jpg

since I have a better selection of the gray ones,  I will be using them.   trying to give you an idea of how big they are,  I could have used a coin.  I used ruler instead.

5944234edeb32_4.jpg.7256abf18917cd31bf50d8776c59af53.jpg

eye bolts were added to the channels for the back stay rigging.....the starboard side is done.

5944240d9226d_5.jpg.772e191ef85e020871b099d5db4fe365.jpg

5944241d22e6a_6.jpg.f7ae3aeee2ea10283500b50937acdbae.jpg

the mizzen stay rigging will be done as I've seen with other ship rigging logs...there will also be a block assembly associated with them too.  a pair of c blocks {with an eye cut off} are fastened to the deck at the base of the main mast.

594425a7ce77c_7.jpg.fc0db40d8e80bdc47a7d8e7248bf68d7.jpg

for the main stays,  a pair was tied at the base of the fore mast..

5944263cbc9a1_8.jpg.5dd1d0a7f02617c32083670a4a8b407a.jpg

as can be seen,  the port side back stay eye bolts are done.   once I've tied blocks to the masts,  they will be cemented in place.  more to come.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Nice repair on that cat eaten shroud! And nice progress too!

Regards

Gerhard

PS.: Me and you seem to have the same admiral................................

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Great fix on the shrouds Denis and nice progress with the build, sorting out blocks ^_^

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Gerhard......but Gibbs is a dog :D  ;)    I've run into another uh-oh moment.......with the bow spirit in place,  the fore mast won't fit into it's lower hole.  bother!....I was afraid of that :ph34r:

.......now I'll have to get a saw ;)   since this is an ocean going vessel....should I use a sea saw?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks Gerhard......but Gibbs is a dog :D  ;)    I've run into another uh-oh moment.......with the bow spirit in place,  the fore mast won't fit into it's lower hole.  bother!....I was afraid of that :ph34r:

.......now I'll have to get a saw ;)   since this is an ocean going vessel....should I use a sea saw?

Sorry, did not want to offend the DOG!!!

Why dont you file a bit away from the lower end of the mast to fit it into the hole? If its only the lower hole, noone will see it after.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

I'm so sorry Marc.....I try to acknowledge everyone.   you are correct.....sometimes it's good to dabble in something out of the ordinary.   I started building plastic models....seems like ages ago....cripes,  back when I was eight or nine!   of course,  paint came later.....I was too interested in build'in 'em......crash'in 'em.....and then put them back together :D:D 

if you haven't found it yet Lou,  it's here:

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/14830-thermopylae-by-popeye-the-sailor-sergal-1124-scale/

the kit has a lot of aspects lacking with it......I did the best I could so far.  I should be back to her soon.

hello Piet.......thanks for the good word.  I'm liking the blocks....I think they will dress up this model quite a bit.   way too much thought about which ones should go where though ;) 

you didn't offend Gibbs Gerhard,   right now he's preoccupied with squirrels ;)    I did......I cut the fore mast root shorter......a bit too short I think.  it's OK........I think I can manage.   there has been a new development with the Jolly Rogers saga.......can't wait to show it to you all!   at the moment though.....this light is so darn poor......can't get a decent picture of the blocks I have tied on :( 

I'm gonna have to juggle the tables......with the build reaching upward......I need a better light :)   the kicker is..........is that I knew about this.   I knew I should have cemented in the fore mast first,  before the bow spirit.   I wanted to outfit the mast tree with blocks before I did it.   one of these days I'll smart'in up ;)     update soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Yes I found your Thermopylae build and started reading it last night. For some reason I thought it was going to be the plastic version.

It may be a little too late on the Jolly Roger but did you consider leaving the mast footing intact and removing some of the base of the bowsprit? I know it was glued in but I would think you could have still removed it, shortened it and reinstalled it without too much issue. After all look at the almost invisible repair you did to the ratline piece!

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

interesting thought Lou........but I already shortened the fore mast root.   I find that,  with wood,  I seem to get away with it better.........but then again,  if the paint isn't scraped away on plastic parts, the glue doesn't adhere as good.   so,  either way it probably would work.   thanks for the thought......enjoy the read :)    I do blog logs too,  if you really want to laugh ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Where do you get the time for a blog? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed just trying to keep progress on the dumb Constructo kit that I stupidly thought would be a "quick build". Now I am adding the 1/350th Titanic, with lights, to my list and I want to do the Sultana as a gift as well! I'm retired and don't seem to have that much time!

By the way there are a couple Revell Thermopylae listed on eBay for what seem to be a good price in case you don't think you have enough to do. :P One of them is a dual kit sale that also includes the Cutty Sark.

Just trying to be helpful. I'll go back to my corner now. :)

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

:omg:........thanks for the info!   I'll be sure and check it out! :)   no need to go into the corner.......I appreciate all input ;)    this forum is based on the thoughts and views of us as a whole,  we would not grow otherwise.   as said,  there is no such thing as a silly question either.  the big obstacle will be to get the admiral's consent,  if I should start giggling like a school boy,  when I find it ;) !     I have a friend in Hawaii that has three other Cutty kits in his stash......one is the first production,  another is the 'museum' version,  and the third one is the 1959 release with sails.   I have built two of them so far.....a Thermopylae would be the feather in my cap right about now!  {oh god.......now you got me all peckish} :blush::stunned:

the time aspect is hard to say.......we all are different slaves to it.  my blog writing started when I built my first wooden model.  when Billing Boats was located in Wisconsin,  I contacted them to order the hardware fittings for it.   I met and befriended the owner,  and he asked me if I would be up to doing a log on it.  I built two kits for him as well,  during the time of our exchange,  and I would help with customer service.  I wrote many build logs on the wooden kits I built.......even now,  I'm still writing them.....a habit that I view as fun,  since I love to write.  I also wrote blogs for a website called 'Model Buzz' ,  a Q&A site that I envisioned could be more than that...but the owners wouldn't listen.   I dropped them quite a while ago.

gotta take Gibbs out.....I'l be back......I have a story to tell ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis

Hope your dog walk went well. Isn't this Fathers day? The day that the other half is supposed to do all that kind of stuff?

In case you haven't found them yet the links for the two eBay listings are : HERE and HERE I am surprised that the first one does not have any bids while the second already has two! I would think that having two 1/96 scale kits would be better than one.

I have the problem of hording kits that I find interesting. It is a bad habit but in the long run tends to save a ton of money. I have model kits that when I bought them were VERY inexpensive. If I was to buy them now in some cases I would be out hundreds of dollars for each kit. I also went through a phase of building 1960s prototype, endurance, and Can Am sport cars some of them are now worth several hundreds of dollars each if I could find them, and others are available no where at all. Ever hear of a Bre Hino Samurai?

At any rate it is interesting on what you intend with the rigging on this kit. I was thinking that what I was going to do when I built it again was to rig it with the little loops provided and then fill them in and paint them so they would look like solid blocks.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

OK....I'm back.  oh......by the way.....Happy Father's day to all of you out there!   I'm home today....I took the day off :)    the admiral also talked me into taking tomorrow off,  so I did.  I really hope that all of the Fathers out there have the best day today.   I call it  'white hair counting day' ;)     since yesterday,  I've been doing a little research on the Lindberg line company.  what I've found of it has been somewhat interesting.  I grew up with Lindberg line kits,  and the roots trace all the way back to the 30's.

http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2016/12/new-lindberg-line-1959-century-coronado.html

the original Lindberg line company was formed later from another company.....after Paul Lindberg joined up with a fellow,  only known as Olsen,  to form O-Lin models.   the very first companies to be formed to create the model industry was Varney,  Hawk,  and Empire.   Keen to note here,  that during the time between 1947 and {I would say} 1955,  these two had also been busy creating molds for other companies too.  Pyro models entered into the fray in this time frame....becoming another link in the chain........they phased out in 1972,  being sold off to a company called Life Like.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/early-plastic-model-kit-development-in-the-usa/

Lindberg acquired some of the Pyro molds........could be that they created the molds for them too..........but they released the Pyro line of car models.  to me though,  Pyro's claim to fame was the series of gun and rifle models that they  released.....which can now be heralded as collector's items.   I haven't done much more research than this,  but Lindberg has either merged,  or was bought up by Round 2 models.   what I did find out points to this......research uncovered more.

http://round2corp.com/product/1967-oldsmobile-442/

http://round2corp.com/product-category/lindberg/

Round 2 has been reissuing older kits by MPC,  AMT,  and other by gone manufacturers.   Polar lights has been doing the same.   what cause this interest in Lingberg was what the admiral bought me yesterday.  while I was at work,  she went to Hobby Lobby and bought me some thinner and flat red.   she also bought me one of the other installments in the Jolly Rogers series {I now see that this is a series of models fitted under this pirate banner}......the Flying Dutchman.

5946cb0ab950d_4.jpg.2ef9fad6508affab76811725f3c2d127.jpg

5946cb17b0ad1_5.jpg.57404b77875d2773532a74ca1e1ca67e.jpg

this ship is the exact same as the model I'm building now.   the plastic that it's molded from is a special glow in the dark formula.   I've built one of these in the past {I believe it was a Revell kit},  in which it was painted with a solution when assembled, to possess this quality.  so long ago...........I forget the name ;)   the parts for this kit is molded in a pearl, greenish white plastic.   it's the same scale.....the instructions are the same {with slight variation in procedure}....and the sail sheets are the same......I paired them up with the ones from the Jolly Rogers kit ;)    the one thing that  ruins the concept of this kit,  is paint.   those who wish not to paint it will benefit more...but if paint is used,  it will kill the glow in the dark quality.  I failed to find the production date on the Jolly Rogers.....but I did look for it on this model.

5946cdfe024fc_6.jpg.aa27014b4310c562bedf016235ad2d74.jpg

interesting to see that it also has a date of manufacture too.  also interesting to see that this is laser printed,  and not etched into the mold.   it will be a bit harder to date the association of kits vs molds.   there was a bit of a pause here.......Kevin and his girlfriend Crystal came to visit.   the got me a father's day gift......so sweet! ^_^   I was surprised when I saw it.......and it convinced me that the Jolly Rogers and the Flying Dutchman are clones.  they got me the Henry Morgan!

5946d568688a0_7.jpg.7109b61694f530bfa6a5bf754421aa24.jpg

5946d576d1aca_8.jpg.e5cf3098030eac7b08380b493799c63e.jpg

closer examination revealed that this is nothing more than the Capt Kidd.

5946d5b625b85_9.jpg.1890695ad9986432c7c9215ca99ab4e3.jpg

it has the raised stern and galleys like the Capt. Kidd and the instructions show all the tell tale 'points of interest' similarities.   it has plastic sails and actual decals of the pirate crests.  it can be seen that this kit is also put out by  Round 2 models,  and the date stamp confirms it.

5946d7408da63_10.jpg.0f14e282a8ac58b64c40b235288a3ec8.jpg

the kit that I'm building now is not put out by Round 2 models........but by J. Lloyd International, under the Lindberg banner.   the instructions are dated 2009,  but I don't believe that this reflects the production date........it might though.   I know......what's the big deal..........I always had this thing about when a kit was produced.......I love the older models.   I think it's cool to pick up an older kit and think that you might have built it in your younger days :) 

there is a small bit of progress with the Jolly rogers.   trying to get a good picture of the blocks tied to the mast trees,  was a pain.  I did get a couple that were palatable.

5946dda8d7ba6_1.jpg.12e75e9c149d38a3fe4d6c3dc18e5b93.jpg

5946ddba1b18b_2.jpg.cfc73920ba4854923bf604833fd6c25d.jpg

the main mast is partially done too.

5946dde057472_3.jpg.29704f1143dc37ab06a559f12ba31d52.jpg

I will try to get more done today..........I hope you find this post interesting :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry to get back to you late Lou........with everything going on here,  this last post took most of the day ;)    thanks for sending the links....I did look them up......believe I found one and not the other.

bids are hard........I tried it a few times before but lost out.   my friend in Hawaii told me about a formula........wait till the bidding is just about over,  then with the last few mins,  post a bid.   this is how I got my United states,  although I posted a higher bid,  I won it for the bid that was on the table....substantially lower bid.   I will try it.......what could go wrong.   I could win and the admiral angry with me  >shrug<   thanks again :) 

I deal with oldmodelkits.com    if your looking for older kits,  that is.   sounds like the kits you mentioned are not kits readily found in the US   I've had a few 1/16 scale cars...as well as large scale aircraft and ships.  it's one of the reasons why the 1:96 scale ships that Revell offered in the day,  appealed to me.

I've had these blocks for quite some time.......I figure they will work better than those silly rings.   I know they make 2 mm wooden blocks....smaller would be insane to do....if they make them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

No problem on the reply, I am being a little off topic anyway.

Glad to hear you made an extended Fathers Day of it all. Now you will be extending into my birthday, (Tomorrow):dancetl6:

As for eBay, my preferred method is to hold my bid until the last fifteen seconds or so, (Ten is better but a little nerve racking) and bid the very highest I feel I can justify. Sometimes that is as much as twice or more than the showing bid! Much of the time I win because it is possibly unexpected by the other bidders and there is very little or no time to counter my bid. On the times I lose I at least have the satisfaction that I made the winner pay a much higher price than they would have. I did that a few months ago on a bid for a Fair American solid hull kit in 1/96, (+-) scale made in Holland by a company I never heard of. I placed my bid with something like 30 seconds to go and darn if one of the other bidders didn't manage to place another SIX bids before the bidding was up! I still won the bid because he only made small bids instead of going for broke but the extra few seconds cost me $30 extra!

I tend to stay away from Oldmodelkits.com because they seem to be a bit over priced in most cases. Just my opinion. What is over priced when you can find it nowhere else?

I am looking forward to how your 1/96 scale blocks work out as I also have some spare plastic stuff in the stash box and if your's turns out I may do the same when the time comes, but I still cannot help but think they will be massive at this scale. I also think you are right in that 2mm blocks seem to be about the smallest available commercially. I wonder if Chuck could make them to order in a smaller size? Another alternative I have been considering is using the small (1mm?) craft beads then filling and painting after rigging.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

well.....Happy Birthday to you! :)   the pictures above show the blocks that I've tied on already.......yea,  they are a little over sized,  but in relation to the supplied rings,  not by much.  with what I'm planning to do.....it's looking like I'll get this one shot at it........I have those other two kits.   I think they can be had in 1 mm.......but scratch making them seems to be the latest craze.  I've made a few for a past project...drilling the holes is the hardest part ;)   the fore mast is ready and has been cemented in place.  the yards will be added later......I wasn't gong to,  but I've gone to this much trouble,  I may as well add them in.    darn!  broke another drill bit!  :angry:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"I think they can be had in 1 mm.......but scratch making them seems to be the latest craze."

I think that possibly you didn't spell the last word right! Shouldn't that be "crazy"

Making a couple or even a few block in 1mm or 1.5mm would be OK I suppose, making enough to rig a frigate, or even worse, enough to rig both this ship AND the Thermopylae could drive one over the edge. In my case I need to use special care as I am not that far from the edge to begin with! At least that is what the Admiral tells me.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

you can do it if you have the mind to ;)  one would never evolve,  if the envelop is never pushed.

I wanted to post this last evening.....but I never got back to the computer.   substituting the rings for blocks,  and plotting them out took a lot of thought.  the mast trees are done now,  and they have been cemented in place.

594a63b3632dc_1.jpg.871211a31d210339c0a62d898f32a9c0.jpg

Since I trimmed the root of the fore mast,  it required being propped up to align it.   it also gives you  good idea,  with the scale of the blocks.

594a645c43799_2.jpg.5180eaae651aeca1acc0e9b49c840853.jpg

594a646ba7bb4_3.jpg.751a230ae4e1b69dd06a083164dee43b.jpg

I let this dry for the day.......did some stuff outside and replaced the stereo in our car.   the next day,  came the installation of the lower rat lines.   with the ratlines the way they are....they do not fit.....they are too long!  they need to be shortened,  and the most logical place,  is at the bottom.   Ratz!   I thought I had a picture of the process,  but no.......:default_wallbash:   what I had to do,  was cut the bottom off,  leaving a stub at the base of each dead eye lanyard.   you need to be careful,  because the plastic is somewhat brittle {trust me}.   after doing this to both sides,  the mizzen lower shrouds are in place.

594a66de987b1_4.jpg.2209c1d7364c5f29ece3fc00ac5cd7a5.jpg

I will have to do something with the lower part of the channels....there's more to do there anyway.   the main mast shrouds were next.

594a6780eec46_5.jpg.4ac0b614ce1d7fb9c59b57fd7a50b485.jpg

594a6795eda72_6.jpg.43975c473c548d36be2eab15e808d74a.jpg

I will reestablish the grooves in the channels when I complete them......something simple {I hope}.   the fore mast shrouds were done last.....carefully because of the past damage.

594a686dcfe4e_7.jpg.7f5b6f329c8687eb13b7c5a2c1d112c2.jpg

the port side is the damaged one.........noticeable,  but it passes muster ;)   all this will sit for another day.......I want them to fully dry.  trivial,  but the fore mast did come loose during the fit.....it needed to be cemented back in place and rejigged for alignment.  the fact is.....they are done!......and once dry,  I can begin with the standing rigging.

594a6993d15bd_8.jpg.cfa6b81f7c2521d8a45c39318cacdb6a.jpg

while waiting,  I gave the yards the flat black wash.

594a6a15d7117_9.jpg.8d64238f521fe67586531ecbf99e010e.jpg

I'm debating........sails.......or no sails.   it's not going to make a difference,  since one......maybe two sets of lines hang in the balance here....clew and sheet lines {I lumped the tack lines in with the sheet lines.....clever huh?!?!}.   they supply what amounts to black sewing thread........in the instructions,  they tell you that the thread is not to scale,  and to make the model look better,  thicker thread must be used {not supplied in the kit}.   I get it........plastic genericide!   that's OK.......I'm ready for ya! :)   I have some thicker thread.   more soon my friends :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: