The Jolly Roger by popeye the sailor - Lindberg - 1:130 - PLASTIC

I did two more sails yesterday......lashing the yards on.....and I had a better time of it.   knowing when to avert problems is a big help ;)   the lower fore sail assembly is already done,  so the two additional sail assemblies,  complete the fore mast.   I quickly looked up the names of these sails to make it easier.......I may be wrong.....so be kind and let me know :D;)   so.....anyway...before I knew it,  I had the fore course and the top sail cemented in place.

595e3d4b579cc_1.jpg.0aa5d0be794e2ec9b9b08b7d43a59913.jpg

I rigged the fore course sail lifts before adding the top sail......the lifts for that sail was next.

595e3da379687_2.jpg.8c6fc798d0d796d1f8ce60ecf20e388f.jpg

the sheet/clew lines are not done yet,  so not to make it too confusing.  the top sail.......for this large a sail,  I probably should have given it a pulley assembly......but I opted to use single blocks instead.   the fore course sail got the pulley assembly.

595e3e66ef370_3.jpg.3766c78e49f60fbcc427fd3ba76682c9.jpg

the top gallant sail was the last assembly to be cemented in place.

595e3e971d856_4.jpg.040e347db4e7a63ecf6fd84cb1e54105.jpg

I'm thinking that this would be a fixed yard,  so no lifts would be needed.....simple fixed lift lines was added to it.   I will have to do the same to the main top gallant sail,  but I had to remove the single block that were tied to the yard.

595e404a9e6cd_5.jpg.2e0324d7663668875cd8d3311bf2cda8.jpg

once all of the lift lines were rigged,  they were set up to be terminated.  once that's done,  I can rig the sheet/clew lines.

595e40bfb8500_6.jpg.146f2f4c3fb555345ff5f21a3b82366d.jpg

one thing I see,  that I will have to remember to do, is rig the tack lines on the fore course,  before the sheet/clew lines are done.   three more sails to go......the main set.  it might appear that I've added a lot of the rigging......actually.....no.   this model has most of these lines.......I'm merely doing it differently,  adding in some extra detail due to the use of these blocks.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Shes looking incredible.  Well done.  

thanks Daniel......and to those who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Tom........awesome work on your Connie ;)   very soon,  I'll be doing ratlines and shrouds too :)    thanks for the likes EJ!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great job. I do love the washes you do. The ships boats on my Friesland are stacked like yours, With NO plans for chocks between the two. Now after seeing you scratch your own chocks I will take you up on this idea and do the same:) Beautifully done.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

thanks Scott for the kind comment.........I'm not that good with weathering and stuff.   it's just something I tried out........happy to see that it came out good and well received.  as for the ship's boats,  they were the same....the smaller one inside the larger one.......looked terrible.  I was going to leave it at that,  not being able to come up with a good solution.....but then I stumbled onto that thwart part in my plastic bin {I have a small collection of plastic spare parts}.   with a little modification,  I was able to fit it into the large boat and add the chocks.  I've seen these chocks in other logs...that's where I got the idea from in the first place ;)    I hope it works for you as it did me.

I dunno Carl........a quicky to me,  is something you throw together fast....no mods and extra stuff to slow you down.   I wasn't even going to paint it at all ;)    then the crazy thoughts came and blew all that out of the water.  I don't regret though....the model did come out looking better for it.   I'm waiting for the finish to come.......I have other fish to fry ;) 

OK......what did I do yesterday?   well.......I did the rigging for the fore top and top gallant sails.....

595fc996037cf_9.jpg.842f86d161ae5e180959aeeaed36c831.jpg

...and then tied the main course sail to it's yard........cementing it in place on the main mast.

595fc9e3abd56_10.jpg.06801e90fd95b746a47da31a43804d6c.jpg

so,  now I'm down to two sails {cripes........I'm beginning to sound like the count on Sesame Street}......three billowing sails..........TWO billowing sails!........ {and then you hear Sonny and Cher.....

....and the beat goes on...........

.....the beat goes on.        NA-NU..........NA-NU!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

For centuries people have been trying to turn lead into gold. You come along and bang!! Plastic into gold. Great work 

thanks Don.....plastic used to be my medium.   I feel I've lost a little of the touch,  since moving on into wood,  but I still enjoy it.   planes and cars seem more plausible to me though....the admiral might be rubbing off on me.......they just don't have the look,  unless they are of wood :)    thanks for the very kind comment.   thanks to all who hit the like button :)    I haven't made any more progress on her........and I'm running the gambit with the work week at the moment.   I was {still am till they are done} at the table with the sails,  sewing them using the helping hands.   there's only two more left...once they are done,  cemented on the model and rigged....the all that is left,  are the braces,   the tack lines,  and the anchors.........oh.....and the yo ho ho pirate flag too ;) 

while I was sewing the main course sail.........I did something that will be added on another project {not a new one........one in progress ;) }   that will be coming soon.   I appreciate you all look'in in........the best thing I'm finding with this hobby,  is sharing it with friends! :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did do a little to this model yesterday.  it's so humid here............been this way for a couple of days now.   the lines on the model are drooping a little........I was kind of afraid to do any rigging.  If I did,  it might cause all the other lines to stay that way.......not good.   I did find one mistake.......the up haul line for the main stay sail is wrong......I have it routed through a opening in the top,  and it will be in the way in cementing the main top sail in place.   white glue has it's good points.   I was able to untie the line and reroute it to the railing at the base of the main mast.

59661ba59ce68_1.jpg.d6b24bb8167535860b3fb3b2a3d7d82d.jpg

I tied the line on for the course sail and top sail lifts.......I still have the top sail and top gallant sail to sew yet.   I likely get them done today and then I can continue.  in the meantime,  the clew lines will hang in limbo.

59661d6c6deef_2.jpg.2078cb1b0764ceacd06dd6738fe8a3d5.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I started off on the wrong foot this morning.........I sewed the main top sail........but I had it set up upside down.  .....had to take it all apart and redo it.   then disaster struck.......the admirals comes in and shows me this bent piece of plastic.........it is the top gallant sail yard!    it was right here on the table.........I saw it!   I must have knocked it on the floor,  and the carpet monster got it!  she found it just under the bed.........the dreaded cave of doom........sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst! :o  luckily,  it's just bent......with very little distortion,  and two of the single blocks are missing.

I'll sew two more on and get it sewed before anything else happens to it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

small progress here..........side tracked with thongs to do 'round here and humidity.   haven't had this much of a problem with it here......but it has been play'in hell with the rigging.   we all know what happens when additional lines are belayed with it going on.........sag :(   but I've done my best to thwart it as I've gone along.   all of the sails are on the model now......that's a plus.....now it's time to rig them up.   the fore mast clew lines are set to be belayed.

596f92b878ed4_1.jpg.1ff3787ac458542e9769d001dc31ce07.jpg

with the main sails,  as they were cemented in place,  the lifts were rigged,  but not belayed.

596f9341d532a_2.jpg.51c10ec90fe2621c177bda3e37d079d6.jpg

....the main course sail..........and then the top sail lifts.

596f938ce7925_3.jpg.9ab4a1fed45aa571f329c38816ae37be.jpg

the top gallant yard was straightened out,  after it's bout with the carpet monster.......sewn........and added to the model.  just a hint of damage is all that's left.

596f947be7a3c_4.jpg.4585d78076694dc7f8cec341a4b311ea.jpg

it's lifts were added too..   once the lift lines are terminated,  the clew/sheet lines will follow,  and then I can work on the braces.   then the tack lines and the anchors.......and that should put the finish on her.

596fa075b0fad_5.jpg.30f6437311860577edab6e2cdac41b9c.jpg

I find myself doing what I usually do during my visits here..........working on the model,  while browsing.   I'm getting the best of both worlds,  although one can be much more tedious than the other ;)    I have done the main mast clew/sheet lines and started on the braces.  I also find that I had better look to see if the admiral has any more of this tan thread in her sewing box,  because I'm running out.   more updates in a bit ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She looks nice all dressed up.....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank and Patrick.......humidity can be a problem here.....with the way we move between temps.   in the morning,  I noted a lot of sag........but by the afternoon,  it was gone.  this morning,  it's back,  but not as bad.  I'll just continue rigging,  keeping it in mind ;)    thanks for all the likes as well.....I'll get 'er done sooner or later ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the clew/sheet lines were rigged.......it wasn't till I rigged the lower and top sail braces,  that I realized I forgot to photog the steps.   so I took 'em...focusing on the groups.  first the clew/sheet lines.

5970dfb07cead_1.jpg.426e882c9aaed3143c5aae99c06713b7.jpg

5970dfbf11e29_2.jpg.60986ec2ab425c905b7ab276f4e37a57.jpg

then the braces......I like how the blocks show up in the rigging

5970e014e16c0_3.jpg.1ba2c94a00553b41ea006f69a4506a28.jpg

5970e02fda1a3_4.jpg.2d8192e7e9831263e4e3d32c1268ae22.jpg

5970e03f33432_5.jpg.7f8dedeb888f0a221a29a4f707ab40de.jpg

I'm done just in time to take Gibbs out...........time to appease the carpet monster :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am still trying to decide if I like plastic sails. I have made a couple of plastic ship models in my time, the Airfix Victory and the Heller Nina, so am not averse to using them myself, I think it is they look too clean. Though they actually look as if they are full of wind, something very difficult to achieve with cotton. Can't decide.

However, the model is looking really good now she is getting dressed.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

Very nice!

I've rigged plastic sails on three models now. Both Conny builds and my Cutty Sark. I liked them on my Connys but not as much on the Sark. The Sark was such a small scale model that they look too crowded and the lack of details in the rigging had nothing to distract the view of the cheap plastic sails. The Conny builds however allowed for a complete rig and having them appear to be full of wind added a nice element to the build. As for the plastic look, well, they are plastic ships so it is what it is.

To get the wind filled look with cloth, I would think that you would have to hide wire frame in the edges of the sails and possibly use a starch or similar stiffener to help hold a wind filled shape. I have not yet tried it myself on cloth. Maybe one day...

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I'm on the fence with them,  since I've done cloth.   on my second Cutty Sark,  I had to paint them because I got replacements and they were beige......they were off white in the kit.  I couldn't get the complete set,  so it was the only option.  they did come out quite well actually.....got rid of that sheen and everything.   painted a flat gray with a wash coat,  and they look pretty good.   the one thing they lack though is the life like detail that only cloth sails can provide........the stitching,  the seams......you can add the corner reinforcements and even eyelets.  I haven't sen too much done with plastic sails......but it's like anything else in modeling.......how far do you want to go with it? ;) 

I've seen cloth on plastic.......done right,  it looks really good.  thanks Glenn and EJ for the kind word....this is a really neat subject to touch on.   funny too......I was looking through my old pictures,  and I happened on the first U.S.S. United States,  the C.S.S. Alabama,  and the first Cutty Sark....all three are from the 1:96 series.  I did a Connie too,  but I have no pictures of her.  all of these models sported their plastic sails.......it was all I used to do,  before I came here ;)

have you ever gone into a craft store,  and seen those prebuilt ships  {nautical decorations}......Hobby Lobby sells them.   I look at the sails,  and some have been sprayed with so much lacquer,  they look like plastic....and they are cloth sails.   they look terrible!   the admiral tells me...."you could do better than that!"   of course,  I tout the rigging as well.....but I still imagine what I could do to change it.  

thanks as well to all who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

in doing cloth sails,  I usually paint them with diluted white glue.  then I'll lay them on a crumpled up beach towel {you could use any large sheet of cloth for this} covered with plastic wrap.  it will take on the shape of wherever they lay.  when I tried the experiment of embossing sails,  I used the decal bonder.........works much in the same way,  but I only sprayed that one side.  for that though,  I made sure the material was stiffer than most....I have like three different grades in my inventory :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

it been a while since I last posted....fine time for me to get the itch to do something.......my weekend is almost over!   there's not much left to do on the Jolly Rogers, just finish the braces,  rig the tack lines,  the course sheet/clew lines,  and the anchors....oh,  and of course, the pirate flag.   starting with the braces,  I had rigged the fore mast braces,  so I continued with the mizzen braces.

599f5e399f743_1.jpg.609732c2f5fbbb0dd91dc99c259d8011.jpg

there were only two sets.......the mizzen course yard and the Mizzen top sail yard.   I then noticed that I didn't rig the pair for the main and fore top gallant yards.

599f5eba5413d_2.jpg.b1c01e4ee418c5f4ff6f35496647a866.jpg

I hadn't tied any blocks for these lines,  so I ran them through the blocks for the fore top sail yard braces.  I ended up doing the same for the main top gallant yard, running them through the main top sail yard brace block,  that I had tied to the mizzen mast. 

599f612175908_3.jpg.82fef164b7ab9bc0d0cf3281f05879ef.jpg

I also pulled a blunder.........I had tied the tack lines for the fore course sail on the port side.......I also tied on the sheet/clew line.  when I got back to it.....I saw this and forgot why I had done it,  so I cut it off.........DUH!!!   now that I remember,  I need to tie another on on in it's place,  as well as the lines for the main course sail.   I began to rig the tack lines.

599f63b9a80b5_4.jpg.b499585f4991a43918ab4633ef0d34ae.jpg

the stand works great......I haven't had any problems with the model becoming topsy-turvy,  with the exception of knocking off those darn gun port lids!   I just keep gluing them back on as I go along,  thankful that I haven't knocked loose any cannons in the process.   the top gallant braces are dry enough by now,  that I can trim off all the excess thread.   the redirection in the rigging process doesn't look bad at all. ;) 

599f651260b53_5.jpg.a745ef929b013a28043136464337d5be.jpg

Another thing that I'm looking at,  is the bow spirit and boom.   I did not rig any sheet/clew lines for the sails.......and I'm sure that the yards must have had braces.  I didn't rig any blocks for any of this.....I'm kinda stuck on what to do.  I can remedy the braces dilemma.....but tying blocks for the clew lines might be a bit tight....I may forgo them.  I'd really like to finish her this week.........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Glenn...and all who hit the like button.   I was having a problem with the like button.....not sure if anyone else was.......it would intermittently post my like.  I'd get the 'X'....but if I went back to the log,  it would be gone.   it seems to be fixed....very happy to be posting my likes on all of the fine projects I watch! :) 

I did make a little more progress today........I thought I'd get another random shots of how the upper braces are rigged.

59a0b92a78d18_2.jpg.c9a86fe40cff0e67258f22980edd1a47.jpg

59a0ba18496a1_5.jpg.11dc371dc86bbbf2a9c09261ff05ff78.jpg

they are done now......even the tack lines.   I did the sheet/clew lines for the course sails........fore and main.

59a0b985f41f7_1.jpg.c675c2bf601923ec97066eee9861437e.jpg

59a0b9959578f_3.jpg.6b8c0504341c55ae0cd90fb154cfeedc.jpg

59a0b9a6b73d2_4.jpg.6999dc5af502a7347c874fa5b25e133c.jpg

I also rigged the flag staff.....I routed the thread through one way,  then routed it the other way....which is the way it is now.

59a0ba8e6a1fa_6.jpg.a3763434caf3c356492d62cabe388aed.jpg

59a0baa542ef8_7.jpg.e049049db11ff231255ce9c46af9f6c5.jpg

I'm a bit surprised with how much rigging there is......it's not a large model......I suppose there could be more,  if I were bold enough ;) 

59a0bb27d2f01_8.jpg.9508de9a8204dd8108769a9874e4842d.jpg

now I tackled the braces for the bow......I'm not sure if they are rigged this way,  or down further on the fore mast.   it does add a bit more to the bow

59a0bbf140dd9_9.jpg.32de41baa924c76351a49b24bdc9274f.jpg

just a tiny bit more to do..........then......

thanks for look'in in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.......yea,  you know us pirates.......we sneak in your back door :D:D    it's almost finished.......but not the log.   it's a fun little kit.....I wouldn't suggest running right out to buy one though.   but it is good for a bit of comic relief ;) 

thanks for the good word my friend!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your rigging is coming along. :)

These square riggers always had a lot of rigging. Each sail had as many as a dozen lines.

Russ

thanks Russ......I put in all the instruction rigging plus a few other lines.   I'm kinda surprised that I'm not experiencing limp lines........only when the humidity is around.   by the afternoon,  the lines tighten back up and all is fine......I've even noticed it with the trawler.  the only ones I'm not sure of are the bow braces....I hope I did them right.   the anchors and the flag is all that's left.   the blocks are another add-on that I found are working really well,  even though they came from a 1:96 scale model.   I'm very pleased with how they worked out.......they do enhance the model quite a bit.

there is a second part to this log....I'll begin that when the Jolly Rogers is finished :)    I appreciate the kind word........I can respect those who do the larger scale models of these particular ships.......there's so much to them!  thanks again! ;) 

thanks for the likes every one!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yes Bob....I did get a chuckle.  you may find that other known vessels can be built from this kit.   I didn't like those rings at all.......1:96 blocks are slightly out of scale,  but they do work reasonably well.  back in the day,  older and now defunct companies sold their molds......I believe this to be an old Pyro kit.  Lindberg models used to be called O-Lin.   here is an interesting article....there are others here that might be of interest as well.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/the-kits-of-pyro-plastic-company-an-illustrated-guide/

the kit does have it's drawbacks,  but to me,  it's hit or miss to find the perfect kit.   heck.....I'm even using a couple of the cannons for my Thermopylae project...close enough to scale for me ;)   enjoy when you get to it.   thanks for the good word.

thank you Lawrence!  having a bit of a bout with aches and pains.....but I'm still stand'in ;)    I only have the anchors left to do on the model.....I may have to skimp a little.   I had drilled hawse holes....not in the correct place,  so I will have to live with it.   thanks for the good word and birthday wishes :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Pop..,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR POPEYE...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...now blow out your candles:champagne:

images.jpg.f6fe7e6839d92c76b99ae14b0a83ed21.jpg