LA NINA By Jerry - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:65

Hello again everyone,

I started to write this log about an hour ago and for some reason, it disappeared.  So, I'll try again and hope for better results.  I started to build this model last December but for selfish reasons didn't begin a log.  I did have a couple more medical situations which discouraged my contribution to this site but after some additional surgeries I am feeling much better so I decided to make this post.  I worked a little here and a little there on La Nina and little by little I made some results.  I am going to treat this log as more of a pictorial by listing my progress by date until I catch up with the present and then finish in normal style.  I hope nobody minds.  My admiral, Charlene, actually built the hull frame so I'd like to acknowledge her contribution to this build.  She is now busily painting the "cross" emblem on the two sails, as at present the mounting of the sails to the two lateen booms is at hand.  My next post will begin this story.

Best,

Jerry

Hi,

Unfortunately, my body must have been in trouble as the new year began because, suffice it to say, I had to lay off ship modelling for a couple of months due to one or more infirmities.  But this old guy wasn't about to give up and as soon as as I was able to, I once again began working on La Nina:

April 22, 2017 through April 27th....

3-22-2017 Shaping the bulkheads and bow for planking strips.jpg

3-22-2017 Preparing the aft end for planking.jpg

3-24-2017 Begiining planking of deck.jpg

3-27-2017 Deck planking completed and  bridge deck supports n place.jpg

3-27-2017 Bridge and foredecks attached.jpg

3-27-2017 Another view of bridge and foredecks in place.jpg

3-27-2017 Bridge deck supports in place.jpg

3-27-2017 Bow deck supports in place.jpg

Hello,

Continuing on...April 13 to 15...

I  don't remember the reason, but i didn't do anythng on this project for a couple of weeks afetr April 15th.  Thank goodness, it wasn't due to any medical reasons..enough is enough!

Best,

Jerry

4-13-2017 Beginning of the second planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Another view of the 2nd planking beginning.jpg

4-13-2017 Bow sheer completed and hull wood filled, sanded and ready for 2nd planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Bow sheer completed and hull wood filled, sanded and ready for 2nd planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Bottom of hull wood filled and sanded.jpg

4-15-2017 2nd planking starboard side almost completed.jpg

back again...

May 1 to May 8, 2017----

The laser cut stem, keel and stern post were terribly out of fit so I bashed the kit and made my own from the billets that fortunately had enough wood left in them.

5-1-2017 Stem. Keel and sternpost attached to hull.jpg

5-1-2017 Another view of the stem, keel and sternpost fitted to the hull.jpg

5-8-2017 Aft gunwale covers pierced ready for rail columns.jpg

5-8-2017 Column shown with pin inserted ready to be attached to gunwale cover.jpg

5-8-2017  Rail columns being attached to aft gunwale covers.jpg

5-8-2017  Aft deck railing and columns in place.jpg

5-8-2017  Another view of rear deck columns and railing.jpg

5-8-2017 Forward section of hull showing gunwale covers and stanchion.jpg

5-8-2017 model with all gunwale covers and rudder attached.jpg

5-8-2017 Rudder detail shown.jpg

With this posting we are up to date and will present our work as we complete it.

June 10 to June 26, 2017

6-10-2017  Mizzen and main Yards ready to be riggged.jpg

6-26-2017 Emblems painted onto sails.jpg

You are doing a great job and I am enjoying your journey.

snoepert

Current Projects: Souvereign of the Seas by De Agostini

Sciabecco. By Amati

Finished projects: Port Jackson by Modellers Shipyard

Botter boat by Amati

King of the Mississippi by Artensia Latina

Endeavor by Artensia Latina

Hello, snoepert..

It was very nice of you to visit my site  and I'm very appreciative of your comments.   It's good to be back with MSW and I hope you'll stop by again to see where I'm at.  Have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I 'm really enjoying your approach to building, it's awesome, well done. I've strung up an hammock to lay back and enjoy the remainder of your build. I too am building the same model so if you don't mind I may be stealing an idea or two. I'm struggling a little right now on how the pump is assembled, a close up pic would be invaluable if at all possible.

Have fun.

Len

Hello Len...

Thank you for taking the time to read my log.  I hope you will find it helpful even though my approach this time doesn't include verbal information.  I have attached a couple of closeups of the pump and hope this is helpful; if not, let me know what specifically you are looking for and I'll try to accommodate you. In the meantime I hope you enjoy your progress on this model.

Best,

Jerry

20170627_105623.jpg

20170627_105658.jpg

Jerry!...so good to see you've returned ;)    so sorry to hear that you've had a few set backs.......hopefully there are calmer seas ahead.   La Nina's looking good......you've done some real fine work there.   Charlene did a nice job on the sails.......I've done some experimenting with embossing sails.......I used my decal maker and printer  {I suppose photo shop could be used instead}  but yea.....ran the cloth right through my printer!   came out really goo too.

https://wenzelswharftips.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/embossing-sails-part-1/

you can read through ......figured you might get a kick out of it ;)    so glad to have you back........say hello to Charlene for me :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye...

Nice to hear from you again.  It's been a while but it's hard to get the tar out of these old bones.  I am feeling very good right now and right now it's where it's at.  Thanks very much for taking the time to send me the link.  I did read it and stored the print matter away for further reference.  We've got a lot of things in the works these days so I'll really be happy to finish La Nina.  We're building a house on Lake Keowee in South Carolina and plan to move there early next year.  It looks like La Nina will be it for a while as there's just too much on our plates to think about another model.  I'm sure you have the same problem we have:  another model?  Oh dear, where will we put it?  Anyway, take good care and many thanks for saying hello.  Charlene said that it's very nice of you to remember her.

Best,

Jerry

Gooe evening everyone...

Well, we're back on track and moving along well.  We have started to rig the sails and work on them to bring them up to sailing condition.  The mainsail has been attached to the Main Lateen; it has had its "tie downs" mounted and is ready for its running rigging.  The "tie downs" took a long time to place but it was just another of the many repetitive processes that when completed,  make ship modelling great.  The following photos will show where we are at today's date:

Best,

Jerry

6-27-2017 sails attached by stiching to  to lateens.jpg

6-27-2017 Another view of stiching.jpg

6-27-2017 Closeup of sail stiched to main Lateen.jpg

6-28-2017 Main Mast Lateen halyard holding Lateen in place.jpg

6-28-2017 Longer view of Main Mast Lateen rigged to mast  (Viking Ship in background).jpg

6-28-2017  Truck collar shown in place.jpg

6-29-2017  Starting to attach the Tie-offs.jpg

6-29-2017 Tie offs on Main Lateen sail completed.jpg

wonderful progress Jerry.......nina's really look'in good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello Popeye...

Thanks for look-in.  Yep, Li'l Nina is coming along.  I don't agree with some of the directions put forth as the kit maker seems to take a lot of short cuts.  So, I'm just doing my thing as I move along to the completion of this model.  Hope all is well with you in NH and that you are enjoying the beautiful summer usually had up there.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Lawrence:

Good to hear from you once more.  I don't have much to say as we talked on skype but it's always so nice to read your complimentary posts.  I am taking a few liberties in making this kit as I don't agree with the manufacturer's directions.  They seem to want to skimp so I decided to use my experience and do things the way I believe they should be done.  For example:  the directions call for wrapping a tackle line around the bottom of the Main Lateen instead of using an eye bolt .  I just don't think it should be done that way and so I plan to use the method I have always used in the past; attach an eye bolt to be used as the anchor for the rigging.  When I get this done I'll show a picture to help explain what I mean.

So it looks like things are back to normal here and I hope it stays that way for a while.  The past couple of years haven't been too easy on this old body but thank the good Lord, I'm still cooking.

Take care and the best to you and Bernadette always,

Jerry

Good morning, Everyone...

We were able to get a little more work completed during the past couple of days.  The rigging is in full blast and the mainsail is just about completely rigged to the mast.  The sheets and guys are completed except for the coiling of the ends which I usually do as one of the final steps.  This process was very tricky as it is necessary to hold the starboard lines in place with clips as the port lines are attached to the forward cleats in order to keep the proper tension on all the lines.  The topsail guys must also be temporarily held in place in order to give the proper tension to the sheets as they are put in place.  The tie downs and blocks were attached to the mainsail after it was rigged to the mainmast.  I don't recommend that one do it this way.  It would be much easier to prep the sail with all its blocks and tie downs  before the Yard is attached to the mast.  I plan to prep the mizzen sail before attaching it to the mizzen mast.  I hope all my friends are enjoying the 4th of July weekend.

Best,

Jerry

7-2-2017 Broad end of Mainmast Yard tackle completed.jpg

7-2-2017 Mainmast Yard guys attached to peak.jpg

7-2-2017 Guys attacched to stern cleats.jpg

7-1-2017 First block tied to broad end of Mainmast Yard.jpg

7-1-2017 The three blocks attached to broad end of Mainmast Yard.jpg

Hello Ron,

I sincerely appreciate your visit to my log and many thanks for your positive comments.  We're in the homestretch now with the mizzen mast and sil to be rigged and then the finishing touches:  coils, flags, pennants, touch-ups, etc...It's been a fun build and surprisingly challenging for such a small size kit.  Come and see us again.

Best,

Jerry

great progress Jerry :)   she's look'in super nice!  we all have our ways in attaching sails.......we do what is comfortable and easier.........there's no wrong way in that ;)    amazing how quickly you moved through this build........very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Happy 4th of July, Popeye...

As a matter of fact, I had to completely detach the mainsail from the mast as It looked very delicate and ready to fly away.  So, I spent yesterday redoing all the rigging after having reattached the main lateen with its sail.  All is well now and I'm about ready to attach the mizzen lateen with its sail also.  Not too much more to do after the mizzen rigging, mainly coils, flags and pennants as mentioned above.  Hope you are enjoying the holiday and many thanks for your very positive comments.

Best,

Jerry