Byzantium by qwerty2008 - Scale 1:20 - RADIO - based on the Pride of Baltimore

I have been slowly chipping away at the Byzantium and have got the deck glued down and finally permanently installed the keel bolt tubes. I have also done some work on the bowsprit and other misc. details as well as making a new stand from a leftover piece of the build board and the keel bolts.

106_0499.jpg

106_0508.jpg

106_0504.jpg

The track for the 18 pounder and the main hatch are glued down in anticipation of sealing the deck with resin.

106_0511.jpg

Here is the new stand.

106_0510.jpg

The bowsprit flagpole.

106_0490.jpg

Lashings for the jib boom.

106_0466.jpg

106_0476.jpg

106_0471.jpg

106_0474.jpg

Lashings for the bowsprit.

106_0488.jpg

And the set screw to hold the jib boom in place.

106_0484.jpg

Some battle damage (they have since been fixed).

106_0497.jpg

106_0496.jpg

PS. I have applied at a local collage and if accepted I will start this fall.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

I have a question about deck hatches, in the attached photo I have arrows pointing at the locations of several hatches and was wondering what the function of these hatches would be? also how would they be covered, grating, trapdoor, plank things like the main hatch...?
hatch%20locations.jpg

Lextin.

Have two atta-boys!!!!  Lextin.    The Byzantium is making progress and the college decision.   I'm happy for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have been hard at work on the model today I made the stovepipe (last night) and now that I have the hatch thing sorted out I have been making the remaining hatch combings (one left). The beakhead grating was made out of some plastic from the window blinds at my last house which I drilled holes in then pressed a small file through them to make them square, the companionway grating was made the same way. The stove pipe was made from some spent shells and an old bolt, the top rotates freely due to a mechanism that involves the groove at the base of the shell and some well positioned dents.

106_0542.jpg

106_0540.jpg

106_0537.jpg

106_0515.jpg

106_0523.jpg

106_0533.jpg

106_0530.jpg

Lextin.

Hi Lextin,

maybe I'm late with the answer but I hope that will help you photos Pride of Baltimore model that made my friend (Leut on forum).

You're doing a great job and it's nice to keep track of progress.

Matija

I hope you do not mind these images in your log construction

if you bothered, I'll remove them.

post-7355-0-50746500-1425924887_thumb.jpg

post-7355-0-12852100-1425924914_thumb.jpg

post-7355-0-08378500-1425924997_thumb.jpg

post-7355-0-35418400-1425925029_thumb.jpg

post-7355-0-14635500-1425925057_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have got back to work on the Byzantium and have made the rest of the gratings aswell as the binnacle. The pumps were made last week but forgot to post about them and this time I forgot to take pictures of them but you can see one in one of the other pictures. The compass was made from a .45 cal. shell and a .38 cal. shell, the lamp from a .25 cal. shell and the chimney from a .22 cal shell. I still need to paint the binnacle but other then that it is finished.
I have also changed the ladder hatch to only have one ladder and a grating over the other side.

106_0689.jpg

106_0691.jpg

106_0693.jpg

106_0695.jpg

106_0692.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

Clever use for the shell casings.  I like it and they look great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got much work done on the Byzantium the past couple of weeks due to working on the sloop Mediator. After planking half of the Mediator I am getting kinda tired of planking so I decided to switch back to the Byzantium and start coppering, well sorta. I made a plate press and started work making the plates last night, sofar I have made and installed over 200 plates completing the starboard side of the hull.
The progress as of this morning.
106_0910.jpg

106_0919.jpg

106_0925.jpg

106_0929.jpg

106_0930.jpg

106_0934.jpg

106_0937.jpg

106_0942.jpg

I also have painted the binnacle.
106_0725.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

Your plating is coming along nicely and I cannot wait to see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

David B

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been working on the Byzantium much lately, life has been kinda hectic the past few weeks and I haven't much felt like working on my models. I did however manage to finish up the 'copper' plating today. Sorry no pictures but maybe I can manage to do a float test soon.

Lextin

I have really enjoyed going through your build. I rechecked in today as I am struggling with sails.  When I started my build I mentioned using muslin and you happened to visit my first log and gave me a connection to the supplex group.  I have used some newer materials indirectly as I had nylon sails made for my 50 inch  marbleheads.  they perform well.... they are all about the sailing.

anyway I thought you might enjoy my struggles now that I am getting to that stage and still trying to be a traditionalist.  

cheers

jon

I I did a float test with the keel today. I did notice a few problems when it comes to moving the model as I bumped one of the davits again today, luckily it didn't break but instead came loose from the hull, the channels are fairly fragile and get caught on doorways, the cleats for the gammoning are easy to pop off the gammoning, the figurehead goes exactly where I grab the model in the front to carry it and the weight of the keel amplifies any damage caused by collisions with obstacles wile carrying it. Now to how it held up to the water, I splashed water on the deck and soon noticed the cardboard deck swelling at the hatch corners, the lower portions of the mast had swelled from water that got into the hull and the water inside of the hull would reach the electronics before I would be able to notice her sitting lower in the water. With the 12 pound keel it took six additional pounds plus the battery to get her sitting at her waterline. To test stability I puled on the mast until water started flowing in trough the fairleads this took one pound three ounces force applied to the top of the lower mast to achieve with with the keel about 6 inches (shallow bathtub) below the hull.

106_1078.jpg

106_1073.jpg

106_1081.jpg

106_1076.jpg

Lextin.

Hi Lextin

It's always exciting to do the first floatation test. However, I hadn't realised that you'd put a cardboard deck on the boat. Do you think the swollen cardboard is recoverable, or will you need to replace it with a wooden deck? Hopefully you'll be able to improve the waterproofing without needing to resort to other measures.

In spite of the deck issue, I gotta say, your ship does look in the water. Way to go!

All the best

Patrick

We always coated the hull and deck with epoxy resin even if we did mot use the glass fibers.  You can't beat it for water proofing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Patrick: The deck is recoverable, just needs to be sealed better in a few spots. I would like to replace it with wood but don't have the money or the patience to do it.

Bob: The whole model is sealed inside and out with resin but the cardboard is especially susceptible to water damage. I definitely wont be using cardboard for my next model.

Lextin.

• 2 months later...

The cannon now fires.. COOL!!!!  Just make sure not to take out your own mast or rigging.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to get myself to sit down and actually work on the Byzantium lately as I have a lot on my mind. My dad got laid off at work so moneys been tight. I am going to be leaving next Sunday, to Seattle Washington for a week long Microsoft convention I will be working at, should be interesting. Then I will be leaving again in September this time for a 9 month long missionary training program. Needless to say I will not be finishing the Byzantium this year as I had planned. Also I will not be going to college this year either.

PS. my dad did get a new job with significantly higher pay so things should be getting better financially.

Lextin.

That's good that that your dad got a better job, Lextin.  I think you're headed out for some adventures... and sometimes these are more important than college.

If you get a chance, check in from time to time and let us know how you're doing. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since I worked on the Byzantium but I'm finally starting to get back in the swing of things. I got the paint for the copper plates and wasted no time with applying it. I also painted the lower portions of the mast with epoxy paint to protect the wood. Lastly I have been working on the main yard.
   I have made the decision to axe certain details in favor of finishing the model sooner. The cannons will only be rigged with breaching ropes, I will not make pinrails, Rigging will be comprised of only essential lines, etc....etc......

post-1993-0-18234300-1441057390_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-14085700-1441057423_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-18761500-1441057536_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-02994600-1441057615_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-45438400-1441057665_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-72073200-1441057721_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-87321600-1441057767_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-65272400-1441057833_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-36872200-1441057902_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-89103200-1441058038_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

I hit the hull with a few coats of black epoxy and made some combings for the mast to keep water out. I have also been working on the coarse yard and made the ("chopsticks") stun'sl booms. Lastly I picked up some wood beads to use for parrels.
Today I realized I am up to 19 cans of spray paint on this model.  :o

post-1993-0-12084600-1441168337_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-42976700-1441168387_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-74165800-1441168453_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-51491600-1441168532_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-21720900-1441168600_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-93730600-1441168639_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-30352400-1441168737_thumb.jpg

Lextin.