USS Melvin by gluedandscrewed - RADIO

Being able to successfully keep discus is quite an achievement. You should leave the fish pic in.

(P.S. I used to keep and breed African cichlids in 22 tanks in my basement, which was too much work!)

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

sweet looking hull  :)    very well done.  I think the life boats are cool too.......the engines are a nice touch..very detailed.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks sailor, its slow going with having to dig up a lump of coal to draw the plans, hacking  out the parts  with a stone ax, constantly having to sharpen the damn thing, now gonna have to fair it with a deer antler,,, good thing deer season is here cause i'm running out of antler,,,,

don't forget to throw the kitchen sink at it.....that'll help!   if you run out of antlers,  just grab a chain saw.......it'll go quicker :)  :)     all kidding aside,  no matter how fast your build'in her......your doing a great job!  

oh......if your still insistent on the antlers,  my brother is a hunter.   I'm sure he can find you some that the deer shed over the past year  :)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so i put away the drill press and brought out the soldering iron,, got the drive shaft and the steering paddles temporarily mocked up,, took  longer than i thought, cypherin on the abacus is a bit slow...waiting for the neighbor to turn some bushings for the shafts on his nice craftsman mini lathe,, one i have been trying unsuccessfully to buy for five years,, and to add insult to injury he bought it at the estate sale for the previous owner of our house:angry:

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

so while waiting for the hull plate to arrive i've been making some of the small stuff, like the whaleboat canopies, and i'm willing to bet this is the only boat here with a pair of boxer shorts and panties as constituent parts, yes indeed, the little lady contributed a pair of her finest to the cause,,, what a women!!!!! and willingly i might add,, guess its true when they say " a family that builds together stays together"

IMG_0155.JPG

never though of using material like that?!?!?!   awesome idea!   very nice job......what cement did you use?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

too funny.........first thing that came to mind was.......what....spit?!?!?!  :D    still very resourceful.......but if you two persist in these follies,  you won't have a stitch of clothing left  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so, i have not been skylarking, been , want to say planking but that just doesnt sound right for a destroyer, so been plating the hull, one coat of epoxy and a light sanding so far... taken 40  1/16x3x18 sheets of basswood:(  did, however, discover a talent for a new avocation in my off time,,,,,quilting!!!!!

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

looks really good  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

First let me say your efforts and use of materials are first class. Great paint job.

Please forgive me for being a bit of a nitpicker but chock it up to me being somewhat of a Fletcher class fanatic.

The 5" mounts would not be flush with the deck, the whole mount swivels, an easy fix. I believe the structure on the upper rear of the turrets

is a blast shield to protect the gun captain. They should face forward, another easy fix. Your project is too nice to let some easily fixed details detract from it.

Penterest has a ton of Fletcher class pictures to serve as references.

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

you're about the the gun mounts tiger, as reklein said, i just wanted to get a look see, right now i'm debating if i want to go ahead and make the 5 inchers and the gun director mobile,, as for the blast shields,  i just copied the guns on the lindberg plastic kit, as with the rest of the model its not super detailed or scale,,,,

P.S.  what does a guy in idaho know about ships???;)

P.S.S.  my apologies idaho, you guys did sail the prairie schooners;)

Edited by gluedandscrewed

Dear Mr.GnS, I spent 4 yrs in uncle Sams Navy. Yeah sure I was a Dental tech but was still on the Intrepid and later on a destroyer tender the Yosemite. I spent a lot of time up on vultures row was flight ops, And with the AD I saw a lot of different types,although we didn't go anywhere on it except for Boston and a weekend in Halifax. Also anyone worth his Salt should know that Lewiston ID is an actual seaport despite the fact we are 400 miles inland.

Also you SAID the photos were mocked up.    :P

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

now Bill !!! my eye still hurts from the BIG wink,, just injecting a little levity into the conversation:) no offense meant

P.S. looks like you have a lot more salt time than me,, naval air , took one cruise to the Med my last year, thought it would be embarrassing to admit to 4 years in the navy and not having set a foot on a ship:D

Edited by gluedandscrewed

think i might have done a dumb thing,,,decided to make the 5 inch mounts,gun director and maybe some of the bofors and 20 mm guns mobile,,,,at the start of the build i made a prototype 5 inch that rotated and elevated the barrel but decided against it due too the complexity and was going just static,,now i think i will  just rotate everything, hopefully with just one servo,,,,,we will see!!!!!

Speaking of "salt time" did I mention I lived 28 years on the beach in Sitka AK? Plenty of salt water boating and fishing,I was also harbormaster for about a year. Not one of my best gigs. Big fishing community there and tons of wooden boats. 

No offense was taken , now lets see some more progress on that destroyer please.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

she's look'in really sweet GaS........in spite of any short comings.   I'd love to get into something of this magnitude.....but I don't think my admiral is ready for it yet  ;)    I'm sure refinements are in the winds for the future.   Keep up the fine work  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

no video but i got the 5 inch and the director rotating 90 deg. port and starboard and the bofors 45 fore and aft, think it took about 10 ECR's before i was happy with it,,,,rube goldberg would be damn proud of this contraption :D gonna tie the 5 inch with the other fivers and maybe a couple more AA's mounts,,, if i dont shoot myself first!!!!

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG