Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

I'm not ready to try nibbing yet.

However, I plan to keep the rest of the deck planking authentic.

waterway.jpg

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Mikeik has been helping me understand bands and what not using proportional dividers. I have band a in and all the planks fell right on top of the marks.

banda1.jpg

banda2.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Band A and B done. Time to mark of C and see what's up with D. I'll start with D next and go back to C last.

I've been using the proportional dividers to mark off the bands. Since I laid 2 planks in at the top to follow the curve of the hull, I have 3 bands of 7 - 1/8" planks per band. So far that's exactly how it's laying out. Looks like D will be something like 3/4" with a steeler or 2.

anb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Box wood. Shark Steamer.

twist.jpg

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a couple stealers are coming. So far it's the best planking I've done.

narrow.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Decks done.

No stantions until the planking is done, but that's okay, I need time to figure out the best way of doing them.

planking done.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Man, those pictures are BAD!

In Dry Dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Planking done. As you probably noticed above, I was crowding at the bow. I was able to fix it without breaking any rules.

Thanks to Mikiek, I'm sure my next ship will be even better.

Onto the dreaded stantions.

done.jpg

In Dry Dock:

On 12/26/2017 at 6:26 PM, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

Man, those pictures are BAD!

The pictures appear to have a lot of JPEG compression artifacts.  If you have a way to reduce the JPEG compression, it will likely help.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Oh, I can photo shop. These are extremely hi res pics from a Galaxy 8+. I send them to my self via email. It's easier than hooking up a cable... Perhaps when I'm doing things with great detail. Rigging.

Thanks.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Hi Brian

Good to see you still making excellent progress.

Remember, old age and perseverance will always overcome youth and ability. :D

Lou  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

youth and ability

It's their agility that gets me every time.

In Dry Dock:

Its their agility that KEEPS me FROM getting them anytime! (But then the Admiral kind of likes it that way). 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

If the admiral even so much as thought...

In Dry Dock:

16 minutes ago, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

If the admiral even so much as thought...

If she did then you would be broke and agility would no longer matter!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Is vagrancy illegal?

In Dry Dock:

Used to be when I first became a police officer. Then it changed and continued to change until today it is a privileged life style. No bills, no boss, free medical, everyone else cleans up after you and takes care of you. How can you loose?

Lou 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Saw a guy on a corner with his hand out. Wore a sign that said, Son abducted by aliens. Need karate lessons.

In Dry Dock:

I found out today that I can tag someone to say thanks for all your help @mikiek

Use the @ symbol and start typing the username.

In Dry Dock:

Your welcome man. Thanks for the good word.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

@Nirvana @Worldway

Getting ready to start cutting.. and cutting and cutting... fake stanchions. Near as i can figure, 7/16" long?

In Dry Dock:

Brian, make two "Masters" - one for fore-deck  and one for aft-deck.

Use them as guide for marking then cut all the pieces.

Adjust the height afterwards by sanding.

Don't measure and cut one by one.

WorldWay has done the procedure very nice.

Wish I had done it the same way, the only way - The WorldWay:piratebo5:

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

And then there's always my way - "measure once, cuss twice.":D

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Can you tell me more about the masters? What are they compared against?

In Dry Dock:

Everything is compared to your masters. This way you don't have to measure each one and you don't introduce human error. Also if you have an error it is consistent and sanding will fix. So carefully make one for the foredeck to the size you want. Then make all the rest using that one as a pattern. I would create a jig for my chop saw or a similar solution. Then do the same for the Aft-deck.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Got it. I pretty much want the stanchions to be 1/16" above the top of the 2 planks, correct?

In Dry Dock:

So, here's my idea for the fake stanchions. I'm going to try a blend of ideas I've seen. I'm mounting a plank temporarily while I add the stanchions. My thinking is that the strength of wood glue against the bottom and planks should be enough to handle adding the second plank. I'm hoping with only 1 plank to deal with it'll be easier to cut off the bulkheads. 5a6e595bcb01b_amix.thumb.jpg.6dc131a6a20fa0d823d5a434b4430e67.jpg Like my hi-tech jig? I'm still not comfortable with the length of the stanchions themselves though. I've read and read, following other build, but I don't seem to understand. Oh well, I can always rip it a part or use wood filler.

5a6e59bf75e1f_myjig.thumb.jpg.daa3c2e0421231736cb2f43b1d15c84e.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Easy build, huh?  :D

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I'm thinking the masts should be no problem.

In Dry Dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Using the process described, I think it's working well.

1.jpg

2.jfif

3.jpg

4.jpg

In Dry Dock: