Jump to content

VOC Retourship BATAVIA by UdoK - 1/72 kit


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Because of the fact that I lost my interest and the enthusiasm for some of my started models, these were canceled and the corresponding build logs deleted.

Other projects such as the build of the Bounty, Gunboat William and the HMS Endeavor take a break.

 

After a visit to the Batavia shipyard in Lelystad / Netherlands, I finally started to realize my long-standing desire to build a model.

The Kolderstok kit was ordered and the construction began, this was in July already. Unfotunately I didn't take pictures from the beginning, so the Photos below show the Status as of today.

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Scott, this glue is my favorite too.

 

Before the construction goes on a short look inside the Kits box.

The wood is of very good Quality troughout, the Accuracy of the Laser cut parts like Bulkheads, Keel, Stem and Stern parts is excellent. Walnut strips are included for the single Planking and Furniture. The figures and carvings are casted from resin and obviously also very well done.

The Assembling guide consists of 6 sheets of Drawings plus a photo-illustrated booklet.

 

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Edited by UdoK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Piet and Robin.

 

In the museum shop of the Batavia warf I had the opportunity to inspect the kit of the Duyfken, it is also a very interesting ship.

I am already very excited about the Kolderstok kit of the Zeven Provincien which is supposed to be released at the end of the year.

 

The pictures show the model of the Zeven provincien at a scale of 1/10 in the warf Workshop, it's huge!

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Thank you for your Likes, construction continues!

 

After planking the stern and closing the gun ports with walnut strips the last remaining bulkheads got filled with plywood and sanded to create the largest possible surface to fix the single planking.

Unfortunately a few of the very fragile bulkhead stubs broke off during sanding the hull, but not major issue, will be a easy fix.

The lasercut parts for the keel are cleaned up and glued together along with a basswood strip to form the false keel. As the hull below the waterline will be painted the keel is made from basswood, the upper stem and stern parts are walnut.

While waiting on the glue to set I have constructed already the gunport boxes for the canon dummis from the lasercut parts.

 

 

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The positions of the gunports has been determined and the boxes have been glued in place. To add more strenght to the boxes and create a bigger lip for the surrounding planks some extra strips have been installed.

In order to determine the run of the wales and position of the gunports all the bulkheads come with laser marks for each wale. Basically a good idea, but due to my decision to close the hull with plywood not many of the marks are still visible. So I had to take the dimensions off the drawings and transfer it to the hull.

Before starting the installation of the wales I did plank the concave area above the transom with basswod strips 1x4 and sanded them to shape. After one coat of sanding sealer and intermediate sanding several coats of a acrylic paint (Ivory) were applied.

Finally I have prepared the transom wales from a walnut strip 1,5 x 5 and glued them into position.

 

 

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some progress to report.....

The gunports inside have been painted black prior to installing the first wales on port and starboard from 5 x 3 walnut below the gunports.

After this the deck A was glued in position, perfect fit and not much to trim.

The after hatch in deck A has been framed and is ready for the planks to be mounted.

IMG_0436.thumb.JPG.7456d6ccfc06413b0935083b45fb3b7a.JPG

IMG_0435.thumb.JPG.c5bcc93b287c6db7f05a056bea5778d1.JPG

 

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.c5b9cdcb4b686e34711cbe7e6f4a156e.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After closing the after hatch with walnut strips 2 x 1, I have fitted the deck support beams on bulkhead 1-5 and 12. The bulkhead in front of the foredeck got installed, klinker planked with walnut strips 5 x 1 and door frames glued on, painted with two coats of dull black.

 

IMG_0437.thumb.JPG.aeefe8f3864ad9c182d4d438e1c8bfd7.JPG

IMG_0438.thumb.JPG.c53722f430a31f72eb27fbe2602bbdb5.JPGIMG_0440.thumb.JPG.3b7f7566623394e196a52db14c26272e.JPGIMG_0444.thumb.JPG.1bd1ec719782cadfe678bcc2834ba35a.JPGIMG_0446.thumb.JPG.84164d32b80d70c9b2986a535dcaddaa.JPG

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some trials and research on how to achive a good and realistic looking tarpaulin to cover the main hatches.

I ended up with the method of a paper tissue, glued on the milled plywood pices with water diluted wood glue as the best result. After setting of the glue the tarpaulin got painted with one layer of Tamiya XF78.

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...