Yacht Mary by Mike Dowling - Mamoli

Well, it took a lot of filing, some very careful whittling, a few minor modifications to the plans and now I have the front and sides of the rear cabin windows and all. There is still loads more bling to put on yet!! Sorry Gregory, my impatience got the better of me.

I don't think it shows on these pictures but I have been very brave and drilled out and decorated the gun ports as well.

DSCN1384.JPG

DSCN1385.JPG

DSCN1386.JPG

DSCN1387.JPG

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

what a big difference!   very nice progress  ;)    love what you did with the stern cabin!  is that a gap at the top of the transom?  will it cover with the stern decorations?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The gap is for a piece of wood which needs drilling to take the rear lanterns - I haven't done it yet but there is still loads of rear bling to come.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

The progress so far. I have spent the last couple of days trying to avoid the 2ft of snow and getting on with making the fiddly bits of 'deck furniture'.

I have also added more bling although there is yet more to come at the stern. I don't want to put it on yet for fear of knocking it off again. I am currently working on the rudder and the strange bits at the sides which a lot of Dutch boats have. I think they are called 'drifts' but I don't know what they are for ?

Anyway - a few pictures so that you know I am still alive!

DSCN1396.JPG

DSCN1397.JPG

DSCN1398.JPG

DSCN1399.JPG

DSCN1400.JPG

DSCN1401.JPG

DSCN1403.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

No I don't have to paint it. It is all gold although it doesn't show up very well on the pictures. It is snowing again now actually and we are surviving but I haven't seen this much snow here since we arrived 11 years ago !! It is at least two feet deep and that on the un-drifted part. Some of it is a good deal deeper. Even the snow plough got stuck today !!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You have done very well without me, and much quicker than I ever did..  Sorry I did not reply sooner, but I did not expect you to progress this fast.

You have achieved a great balance between paint and natural wood.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

yepper!  you've made some great progress and it looks super  :)    hunker down and stay warm ;) .......we've been seeing crazy weather here in the states as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The rudder is on and painted, the strange 'drift' things are done and on, the anchors are on, steps, cleats and cannon are on. The next stage - not my favourite - is to make all the yards, masts, spars etc.

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1413.JPG

DSCN1414.JPG

DSCN1415.JPG

DSCN1416.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well done. She is looking good. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Help!!! It s so long since I have done any I have completely forgotten how to put shrouds on. Is it from one deadeye up to the and round the mast and back to the next deadeye on the same side or, is it from one deadeye, round the mast to the deadeye on the opposite side ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

the rule of thumb is,  depending on how many shroud lines there are:   starting with the starboard side,  they are done in pairs.....two to starboard,  then two to port.  they are tied together at the mast and run down to the dead eye along the rail or channel.  the leading shroud lines are usually a bit thicker than the rest,  due to main sail chances of rubbing on it.  if you have an odd number of shroud lines,  save that one for last.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nice progress BTW  :)   she's looking superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye. I must be getting senile!! Only 4 lines each side so I reckon even I can work the rest out. Really glad you like her so far, I have made all the masts, yards etc so it's time to start the dreaded string !!!! 

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Next Question. I seem to remember that there is a fairly specific distance that should be maintained between the upper and lower deadeyes. Can anyone help me with that ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hi Mike , i,m not sure there is a fixed distance , as i understand the distance would be shortened over time as the rigging was tightened , i could be wrong ? in a few examples i looked at the space seemed to be about twice that of the deadeyes themselves , eg if the deadeye is 10 mm the pace should be 20 mm .. Personally i think it more important to have them all spaced the same be it wide or narrow , hope this makes sence , Others may have a more specific answer .,,

yea,  they say about 1 1/2 times the size of the dead eyes,  but that rule is pretty flexible.   as long as you don't make them like an inch long,  you should be in the ball park.  you could do like Shihawk suggests and still be alright :)     they do get adjusted when needed,  so if your off a little,  it's no biggie.  folks do them all the same height as more of an aspective appearance...they look neater if all even.   folks achieve this by joining two wires together and bend the ends,  so they will fit in the outermost holes of the dead eye.   the middle hole is always center - bottom dead eye facing downwards,  upper dead eye facing upwards.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Before I tie them off, do these look about right ?

DSCN1417.JPG

DSCN1418.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

you nailed it!   they look great :)   some of the dead eyes aren't turned the right way......but if your happy with it,  that's fine.   if not....like Brian demonstrated,  the channel dead eye center hole should be pointed down and the shroud dead eye center hole should be pointed up.  the center lanyard rope is the longest.  just browse any number of sailing ship logs and you'll see what we mean.   I was going to tell you about the term 'leeboard',  but I figured some one would.  there are a couple of other names for them,  but that is the most common.  it also depends how they are installed. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Brian and Popeye. Can I be bothered to re thread the wrong ones ? I'll think on it. 

So, what are the leeboards actually for ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks very much for that Carl. (propeller?)

Re done one side. Is that better guys ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

DSCN1421.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

(propeller: I know the parts are laying on my bench ... waiting, like you. to busy with intruding life and work)

Looks  good Mark MIKE. Usually they use a light colour on the lanyards, maybe not on this type of vessel. You start at the top deadeye, and end at the top as well, so you can fasten it to the riging above the deadeye

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's Mike Carl but I forgive you. I am not undoing them all again !

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

OK I lied !! Colour changed so please can I tie them off now ? 

What colour should I do the lovely ratlines that I am so looking forward to doing ?

DSCN1423.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

that looks much better Mike.......wrap thread {thin diameter} around the shrouds to seize them.  I've seen folks use different thread {rope}...don't be concerned.

sorry to make you do all this extra stuff :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: