Yacht Mary by Mike Dowling - Mamoli

I think I have gone as far as I dare now going from the top down. Clinkering is becoming a real problem so I think I have to go from the bottom up to meet it. I nearly got to the waterline at the front which was my hope.

DSCN1357.JPG

DSCN1358.JPG

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

planking looks pretty good Mike........if there is clinkering,  it's minimal :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hi mike , long time , i was brousing and happened on your log , so thought it was only manners to let u know i,m still keepin an eye on u . like u i took  small break , well a long break i suppose , but my mojo has revived and i,m back in the workshop  have almost finished the vic but not made any posts incase i fall of again , your yacht

Mary is lookin good , your usual high standard , i hope the business is still going well and still hope to get up to see u some time if the price is right lol 

best regards Boyd 

Hi Boyd, lovely to have you back and thank you for the comments. As you will have gathered, Mary is proving a bit of a struggle but I won't be beaten !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Darn missed the start. Next time send me a PM ;) 

Looking good so far Mike. Considering the shape of the hull, you could have taken a look at the Staten Yachts from Holland. We have had quite a few plumb nosed ships 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sorry Carl, I hoped you might turn up. Hope all is OK with you.

For those following along I am still trying to finish the gap in my planking from the bottom up. I think just maybe I was over ambitious with my working down layers and should have stopped a bit before. As a result, no matter how hard I try not to I am going to have some very pointy pieces. I realise this is a complete no no but within my planking capabilities it will be the best I can do. The saving grace will be that as the mess will be below the waterline and eventually painted white I reckon it will be hard to spot !

Watch this space !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I am a bit late,  I just saw this thread and have a few comments. I built the Mary as well and working on the Utrecht (scratch). 

With flat bottom boats such as yachts and many other Dutch Ships planking the hull is a completely different ball game. It is not like the other models you see here on MSW. It is an exercise of extreme bending. 

I start with the wales first than a few planks below the lower wale. There isn't much of a garboard stake. I align the plank straight next to the keel and let it flow naturally, going straight up at the bow. You will install many steelers 

When you're facing the bow, your wales need to be straight. I know you cannot change that now. Your last picture shows that you are forced to start at the keel and work your way up. Just lay the planks and let them flow, don't force the curve. When you reach the completed planking there will be lots of measurements. Overall the planking that is completed is well done. 

With the Utrecht I used walnut as the second planking. I soak the planks for about 4 to 5 days and over bend them because walnut springs back a bit. When the are soaked I lay them down on the hull and use push puns, clamps and whatever I can find to hold it down. After they are formed I use Elmer's white glue to glue them in place. Wales are also walnut but I laminate them to get the thickness. This has worked well for me for several boats. 

Search for Utrecht and Mary under flying_dutchman2. The Utrecht built has many planking pictures. This would take a long written description.

I built only Dutch Ships and have built several flat and round bottom boats. Similar ships of extreme plank bending would be the Endeavor. 

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add more

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Nice advise Marcus but, as you say, a bit late for me. I have nearly finished the second planking now. It will look OK above the waterline !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well here it is folks warts and all ! Finally covered although I must give up my dream of exhibiting in a museum !!!

The clinkering looks worse than it is in the photos I promise. I have to cover the false keel at the bow and stern and will then give it all a proper sanding and a coat of sealer. I think it will look OK then.

DSCN1359.JPG

DSCN1360.JPG

DSCN1361.JPG

DSCN1362.JPG

DSCN1363.JPG

DSCN1364.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I dunno........looks pretty good to me  ;)    if you have any small gaps you want to get rid of.....here's something easy to do.   I lightly rub white glue into the gap and wipe off the excess.   them I sand over it.......it will push sawdust into the gap and mix with the glue.   instant filler  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks like it should finish out very nicely..  The tip from Popeye should go well also..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Popeye 's tip is good. I do something similar. Collect the saw dust from the wood you are sanding. Add just enough white glue to make a paste. Mix well and then apply to the area. I use toothpicks. I also use it in areas to strengthen parts. Once dry it sands well and it is strong. I keep it handy in syringes and in different colors. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

The hull has been sanded and sealed. It still needs sanding again before final finishing. I have marked the waterline and am very surprised to see just how much of the boat would have been in the water.

I have also cut the tops off all the frames. I am very glad I was careful with the glue when I did the bulwarks. I just used the frames as a guide and avoided gluing them.They would have been a nightmare to get off otherwise. They were then smoothed flat level with the deck. The inside of the bulwarks then had to be covered with loads of little vertical strips before planking to give extra thickness. I have planked the lower deck and bulwark sides and I have what I think is called the poop deck to plank.

DSCN1365.JPG

DSCN1366.JPG

DSCN1367.JPG

DSCN1368.JPG

DSCN1369.JPG

DSCN1370.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

bet it feels great to see you've reached a milestone ;)    looking good !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The toprails on the bulwarks had to be made with 2x1mm strip laminated 4 wide and then on the outside edges 1mm square of walnut and 1mm square of boxwood all of which had to be bent to fit the bow and stern !! Is it surprising that I was about 5mm short on the front rails !! I think my patch up job is OK. 

I have now planked what I think is the poop deck, put on the waterways (more bending), the bulwark rails and the two rear boxwood strips and added the steps. I finished covering the stern and the bow piece. Nearly all the bending done thank goodness except for the ram edges which are drying as I type !!

DSCN1371.JPG

DSCN1372.JPG

DSCN1373.JPG

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1375.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thank you very much Gregory.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

looks like smooth sailing from here!   you did a wonderful job on the hull {and you thought you couldn't do right by her}   the deck area looks very clean and neatly done :)   I'm still very curious about the stern area........I figured that the port and starboard should have run up the bulkheads,  to form the transom.  I'm sure you'll show me in good time  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

popeye,

Not sure what you are alluding to, or how familiar you are with the Mary,

but the stern/transom gets very busy with trim and ornamentation,

as seen here:

Marystern.JPG.da7e03f5f71403fca90945fcfc17328e.JPG

Correct me if I am missing something with regard to what you are refering to.

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE

there has to be a build up to the top of the transom,  unless that segment of the transom is mostly windows along the sides.  are there windows between the ornamentation?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know what he's on about either Gregory but, while you are here so to speak - did you have to cut part of the rear decoration out to allow for the rudder ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Actually Popeye I have just worked out your query. Yes there are windows in the sides that make up the transom. It's all going to be very frilly !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

yea...I'm not real familiar with the vessel.   I was referring to along the sides and the fact that you haven't planked to the top of the transom.   now I can see why  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

popeye,

If you look at the pictures  of a museum model back on page three, you can see how it's finished.

Mike, I will PM you about the stern decoration and the rudder.

The last picture I posted was from the site I linked to earlier.

http://modelshipbuilder.la.coocan.jp/yacht-m2.htm

Edited by Gregory

—MICHAEL ROSE

I have painted my bottom white !!! It was quite brave of me actually because I rather liked the wood but, in view of the fact that the boat is going to have so much decoration I decided to stick with the real colour scheme.

I have done a bit of decorating. I had to put the pieces on the bow stem or ram in order to get the surrounding wood in the right place and thickness.

I have also made the main deck cabin. I hated the nasty windows provided. They were just printed outlines on thin blue plastic so I decided to make my own with some left over net and stuff called 'kristal klear' which is a glue really but dries transparent. I'm afraid my pictures don't show the result very well at the moment but they should look ok when in position and light shines through them.

DSCN1376.JPG

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1377.JPG

DSCN1378.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

nice work Mike.......I agree,  they should look very good when in place  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Here is the hull to date. Three coats of white paint sanded in between each and another coat of dope for the wood. The deck has just had one coat so far. Any more will stop all the additional stuff sticking.

Oh by the way, I painted the insides of the holes and the frames at the stern black so that they will look hollow when the rest goes on.

So now for the bling !!!

DSCN1380.JPG

DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: