Yacht Mary by Mike Dowling - Mamoli

you can use a thinner white or black thread.   the same color can also be used.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well all I can say Popeye is that despite the fuzziness of the photo, you had better be pretty impressed or I just won't like you anymore !!!

DSCN1427.JPG

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

it's OK .......I still love you!  :wub:   it looks great.   time to rat'em up I think  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, you didn't pick a colour for the rats !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

look a couple of comments earlier  ;)    again,  it seems a matter of taste.   in plastic kits,  they do them all one color.  with wooden ships,  color can be detail ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I will use a pale thread then - I don't like white as it just gets dirty.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

On 3/8/2018 at 2:20 PM, Mike Dowling said:

It's Mike Carl but I forgive you. I am not undoing them all again !

I stand corrected ... next build you'll know ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I decided on gold thread to match the rest of the 'bling' !

One side done. I had forgotten just how tedious rat lines are. Also I have had to them very loose as the shrouds are not nearly as tight as I would have liked. Probably my fault for undoing the deadeyes so many times.

DSCN1428.JPG

DSCN1430.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I'll bet he can climb 'em just as fast!  ;)   nice job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Both sets of ratlines complete. The bowsprit is on after quite a struggle. The binding or whatever it is called from it to the keel was murder. It kept trying to slide down and wouldn't stay where I wanted it. A bit of glue go me there in the end.

DSCN1431.JPG

DSCN1433.JPG

DSCN1432.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The standing rigging is done. How come is it that when trimming the threads I always manage to cut one I shouldn't. It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am I always manage it !

Next step - making sails.

DSCN1436.JPG

DSCN1437.JPG

DSCN1438.JPG

DSCN1439.JPG

DSCN1440.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You can't see it because it is not there ! I had to redo it.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I see your well under way with the rigging....looks really good :)    for the gammoning on the bow spirit.......to stop the thread wrap from sliding down,  you could have added a small chock {or a stop} on the spirit boom,  to hold the gammoning where you wanted it.   nicely done ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My work for today.

The sailcloth with the kit must have been very old or just strange! I died it with tea to give a nice golden colour. Marked out all the sails and carefully sealed the edges with white glue then left it to dry. The glue dried - purple ???!!!

So, I dug out some sailcloth saved from a previous build, soaked it in coffee this time - preferred the colour. Marked out all the sails - again - sealed the edges with white glue and left it to dry. Wonderful !!

I have sewn rope all around the edges and made the necessary loops. Next stage of course is to fit them. The pictures are of course from the second attempt!

DSCN1442.JPG

DSCN1443.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Run Brian, Run ;)

You are even versatile with needle an thread ... better keep out of the way from now on, or I should need stitches ... Nice work on the sails. I refrain from comment on the reefing cords :) 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

nice work on the sails........the reefs could be a little longer,  but they are good enough ;)    very well done..... !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The reefs are actually a bit longer on the other side but, I only followed the destructions !

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well folks, Mary is finished. I was surprised at the complexity of the rigging for a vessel with so few sails and it took me longer than expected. I added the remaining 'bling' and all the flags.

I have to say that I am rather pleased with th end result and I hope you like her too.

DSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1468.JPG

DSCN1469.JPG

DSCN1472.JPG

DSCN1473.JPG

DSCN1474.JPG

DSCN1470.JPG

DSCN1471.JPG

DSCN1475.JPG

DSCN1476.JPG

DSCN1477.JPG

DSCN1478.JPG

DSCN1479.JPG

DSCN1480.JPG

DSCN1481.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

congratz Mike!   she looks absolutely amazing!    you done a great job :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Another break from boats I think. I have two planes and a tram waiting my attention.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Great build Mike!

I envy your timely perseverance, and ability to create a great result with essentially what was in the box.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon