HMS Victory by spider999 - Mamoli - 1:90

Thought I would start my build log, have just had a good look at Gil's build, am truly inspired, so here goes...

Am currently approx. 90 hrs into a build that I started about 11 and a half years ago, two children and a major house move/extension have seen her in dry dock for 5 years now, but house work is nearly at an end so with a bit of luck should be back in the boatshed in the next couple of months, should be done for Xmas (note: didn't say which year!!)

I bought the kit nov 2005, it was an early xmas present to myself.

I didn't take any pics till these, in sept 2008, the time span between the first one and the last one I took was 3 years.

Our daughter was born in may 2009 and we moved house 5 years ago.  I haven't done anything since she was born, and when I got my boatshed set up at our new house I said I was going to start the boat again, till the admiral of our fleet said in no uncertain terms i was NOT going to touch it till the kitchen was extended, the bathroom and toilet rooms knocked into one, the log burner was installed, the loft boarded out and the kids bedrooms sorted ( plastered, decorated etc)  ....

well, I am happy to report all the above are within a heaving line throw of being moored up!!!

I should be back in the boatshed by the start of the school summer hols......

Here are the first few of my build pics, I will post as many as I can till you all get bored!!

enjoy.

SEPT 2008

DSCN8664.JPG

DSCN8662.JPG

DSCN8661.JPG

DSCN8660.JPG

DSCN8659.JPG

DSCN8658.JPG

DSCN8657.JPG

DSCN8656.JPG

DSCN8678.JPG

DSCN8663.JPG

You can tell this is my first proper model.  I didn't level all the frames when I first made the skeleton and it became obvious when I started to put the deck planks on then the hull planks.  There are a few slight waves in the lines, but once I have all the first layer of hull planks done I have some modelling filler to fill out the low points and can sand the high points to even it all out as best I can.

I am better at making bellropes and knot boards!!!!!

The ship behind my Victory is one my old neighbour, an old fishing trawler skipper, icelandic trawlers, bought after seeing my model.  It was already made when he bought it.  When they moved house he left it behind in the shed so I adopted it, didn't want to see it thrown away.  Dont know what the ship is.

IMG_1771 resized.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.

No, never heard of a rabbet line so guess not.

I just thought with a £300 model the instructions would be good enough to allow you to build the kit.

I have followed them step by step so far.  Having found this forum site I will use them only as a rough guide.

we will see how it goes.

good luck with yours.

spider

• 3 months later...

this is the one that somehow ended up in my bag when i paid off one ship, i found it when i got home and resolved to take it back with me if i ever sailed on her again but they scrapped her so i guess i am stuck with her, damn!!!!!  it looks good on my flagpole but i need a bit more wind than we have at the moment!!!

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

• 8 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:26 PM, spider999 said:

this is the one that somehow ended up in my bag when i paid off one ship, i found it when i got home and resolved to take it back with me if i ever sailed on her again but they scrapped her so i guess i am stuck with her, damn!!!!!  it looks good on my flagpole but i need a bit more wind than we have at the moment!!!

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

Finally the extension to the house and various jobs the admiral put in the way before she would let me continue with my build are finished, so am back as a boatbuilder...

I have picked up where i left off 6 or 7 years ago, has it really been that long!!??

I knew i had to start tapering the hull planks, am doing the bow section first before tackling the tricky job of the stern..

I thought i had hit a snag when i realised there was going to be no support for the forward end of the lower planks between frames 1 and 2, and thought of a clever little solution..  Turns out one of the other builders (and no doubt countless before us) on here - YT, (what an inspiration)  came up with the same idea....

A small block of wood between the frames, shaped to fit .. Genius..  problem solved, for now!!!

Looking at his build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18016-hms-victory-by-yt-mamoli-190-scale/page/9/   it makes me want to tear mine apart and start all over again, must resist that temptation and remind myself I didn't but the kit to do the boat, i bought it to do the rigging!!!  Being an old sea dog I am never happier than when i have a bit of string in my  hands.

Here are a few pics of my recent attempts to be going on with, full steam ahead,..

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 10:59 PM, Wallace said:

Aha, now I do know which kit you are doing :)

Stick at it mate - you will get there. I will pull up a stool and follow along if you don't mind. 

good to have you aboard my friend, got some more pics to post in next couple of days, got bow planks done, ready to start the stern.,.  watch this space

Edited by spider999

have been doing a bit more, got the first layer of planks finished at the bow, am now starting on the ones at the stern.  She isn't as pretty as some other builds, but i am not too worried how the first layer looks, so long as i can sand it to roughly the right shape/profile i can take my time and get the outer layer of hardwood looking like the original, bearing in mind i only really bought the kit to do the rigging..

my progress so far:

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3966.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

Edited by spider999

On 4/3/2019 at 11:18 PM, Y.T. said:

Hey, spider99. This work looks very impressive. Thanks for showing this.

YT, thanks for that mate, it's not on par with yours but wait till i get started on the rigging, I am going to try and give Gill a run for his money!!

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't too sure how or where to finish the bottom plank of the bottom section, YT has it flush with the bottom of the rear sloped section, but looking at some of my pics of the ship herself it seems to "birdsmouth" around the corner itself, see pics, so i thought "why not", 

IMG_0074.jpg

P1010222.jpg

On 4/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, Y.T. said:

Hi spider999. I have this detail flush temporarily. I will be adding a wood profile strip there. I am very impressed with your work. Hull shape looks very good. To me it is one of most important features of the model and an expression of builder skill.

Thanks for that YT, I am just winging it really, using the mamoli plans but referring heavily to your log, I have made a decision regarding the green tiles versus just planking and have decided to do one side of the boat as per the original, painted black and gold/yellow, and putting all the green tiles below the waterline, and the other side unpainted, with the planking all the way down to the keel.  Pretty much the same as the model displayed on the real ship in some of the photos i posted on your log.  I get the best of both worlds that way.  If i decide to eventually go with the paint job I can just paint it!!!  I am not too bothered that it wont have the little green tiles both sides, as I have said before, I just want to get my hands on the rigging..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

am laying her up in dry dock for a while till i finish a couple of outstanding jobs in the house, should be back aboard her by xmas......  here are some pics of progress so far:

The curly bits might not be in exactly the right place, but what the hell, like i keep saying, i only bought the kit to tie the knots!!!!

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

Edited by spider999

On 7/7/2019 at 10:00 PM, diablo0007 said:

very nice 
i like the work soon we will be in same stage 
good luck in your house work and enjoy summer my friend 

Why thank you my friend.  Kind words go a long way to bolster one's confidence..

Glad someone is enjoying my attempts at building a boat, you'd never guess it is my first go!!