HMS Victory by spider999 - Mamoli - 1:90

I'm gonna stick to the plans on one side, little green tiles and black/yellow paint scheme but on the other side I am just gonna run the planks down past the waterline to the keel, and give the timbers a waxed oiled finished to bring out the natural beauty of the wood, no black/yellow paint!!.  best of both worlds..

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As the airport I work at is now only open 18 hrs a day instead of 24, only for cargo flights and childrens air ambulance flights/police air we have changed our shift to 1x 18 hr shift on, 2 days off.  so in the downtimes at work I have done a bit more of my boat here is the latest:

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

Edited by spider999

• 1 month later...

Done a bit more, got one side done down to the break in the pattern, it shows 4 rows coming to a point at the waterline at the bow, so I just drew that line, it shows a further 8 rows amidships, approx, then tapering back towards the stern.  see pics, dont worry too much about the brick pattern, I am covering it all with the copper tape, so will get the vertical joins right then.

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Update time.  I have managed to finish both upper sets of planks (port and starboard), sanded them to remove any imperfections, and worked out the layout of the lower set of tiles, working up from the keel.  According to the book I am following there are 10 rows of tiles up from the keel, then at the stern there is a stealer, followed by 3 more rows, then 2 stealers, finally 6 rows brings you up to the upper band of planks.  At least that's how I read it.  enjoy:IMG_2017.thumb.JPG.456587ff0f8f12dc8c8a1ef5fddb69c6.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

I’ve just stumbled upon this masterpiece; a very nice ship you have created. I’m now working the coppering with those cranky green strips and will be looking at your log for the secondary planking, among other things, once I get there. I like that you have shown step-by-step along the way with plenty of details. Very nicely done! :)

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

On 6/17/2020 at 5:30 AM, Rob S said:

I’ve just stumbled upon this masterpiece; a very nice ship you have created. I’m now working the coppering with those cranky green strips and will be looking at your log for the secondary planking, among other things, once I get there. I like that you have shown step-by-step along the way with plenty of details. Very nicely done! :)

On 6/17/2020 at 5:30 AM, Rob S said:

Rob, I dont know if this is of any use to you mate, but here are the 2 pages from the book I have showing the details of the copper tiles, I have clearly marked where the break in the pattern lies, as well as the position of stealers etc.  I found it very very helpful.  Hopefully you can make use of it.

Regards

spider

IMG_20200618_0001.jpg

IMG_20200618_0002.jpg

IMG_20200618_0003.jpg

As you can see from the photos on my build, I started with the 4 rows at the waterline at the bow, , then went to amidships and put 12 rows (held on with masking tape) in place, drew a mark on the planks, then same at the stern.  joined the dots so to speak and glued on the first 4 rows.  After that I just filled in above them up to the waterline.  did both sides, then started down at the keel working up parallel to it until I got up to the first set., just got to cut and fit the shaped ones now.

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

Spider - Rob S here.  Thank you for the information you provided!  I had previously reviewed your log and found your reference material most interesting.  However, to this point I'm following the Mamoli instructions for the coppering and pattern detailed with their scale drawing that has the initial pattern down 13 rows, starting from mid-ships and working down, upon which the next pattern starts. I do like how your Vic is turning out; copper sheathing very nicely done, especially with the way you have washed out the green coloring.  Appreciate the review, information and feedback.     

Keep up the good work!  I'm enjoying the journey:)

Rob

Also noting that the green tiles provided in the kit are not all the same dimensions... some longer than others as well as wider.  Not sure if Mamoli meant to do it this way to assist in the build or just poor quality control.  

Rob

Gentlemen/Ladies, I am pleased to announce that I have finished.....  The bloody green tiles.  They went a lot easier than I thought they were going to.  That set of plans certainly helped.  I have a question , having seen a few of you go through this stage, and not wanting to mess it all up now I have gotten this far:

Do I A: just stick the copper tape straight onto the sanded down green tiles

or B: as I saw on YT's build, he sealed the tiles with acrylic matt varnish.

What is the benefit of actually sealing them first?

Advice please..

here are a few new pics showing my milestone achievement!!!   (big smiley face emoji..)IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.3b1a646e2303ec824ec2e4d873be726d.JPGIMG_2064.thumb.JPG.31b9bc85ffc68ea14dec0db567ca3be9.JPGIMG_2066.thumb.JPG.1b65724ac88ecd6efe65d1600aa79650.JPGIMG_2069.thumb.JPG.af9974d07344bd023ad6d46deb2bebab.JPGIMG_2071.thumb.JPG.2436707a50c7ebe4d842084c68383cf1.JPGIMG_2072.thumb.JPG.0cd5a80c7108b256566dfbbe31630257.JPGIMG_2073.thumb.JPG.d5eeb8b43e87ff692734349316a44458.JPGIMG_2074.thumb.JPG.d608847b9dbb8c6aed3865ebc9e52f37.JPGIMG_2075.thumb.JPG.78196d320004c2340982bff55d0ba0f1.JPGIMG_2076.thumb.JPG.8765bab41f12c482bedadd8316b7940f.JPGIMG_2079.thumb.JPG.54bdd3af544b70352e6448a23c1332f1.JPGIMG_2080.thumb.JPG.8978e42f95f4ee9269a7bd87785e7824.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

14 hours ago, Rob S said:

Also noting that the green tiles provided in the kit are not all the same dimensions... some longer than others as well as wider.  Not sure if Mamoli meant to do it this way to assist in the build or just poor quality control.  

Hi Rob, thanks for your feedback mate, always good to hear that I am going in the right direction..

The tiles appear washed out only cos I sanded them down to leave a nice smooth surface to stick the copper foil tape onto.  I was originally going to put the green tiles on one side and paint the black/yellow on that side  only , then on the other side I was going to carry the planking from above the waterline all the way down to the keel, and give all the planks on that side an oiled waxy finish, best of both worlds , but then I saw YT do the copper foil tape on his build and had a rethink.

I decided to put all the green tiles on both sides, but to then cover them with the foil tape.  That way I can use the tiles as a reference for the vertical joins when I indent all the little rivet lines... (really looking forward to that little adventure..)

I am glad that stage is finished because I was getting a bit fed up with the tiles being different sizes etc.  Oh well, character building I suppose.  Nobody said theis boatbuilding lark was gonna be easy..

On 6/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, J T Lombard said:

Hello:

Which book are you using for your tile layout?

regards

J

Hi J, answered you on the other forum, but for the benefit of anyone who isn't on there :

It's HMS "Victory": Her Construction, Career and Restoration by Alan McGowan but I have loads of books about her,
The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships by C. Nepean Longridge
Haynes owners manual by Peter Goodwin
Rigging Period Ships Models: A Step-by-step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-rig by Lennarth Petersson
THE MASTING & RIGGING ENGLISH SHIPS OF WAR (Conway's History of Sail) by James Lees
The Art of Rigging by George Biddlecombe

I was just flicking through the first one and came across the layout plans for the copper plates and thought it would be very helpful as that was the stage I was approaching. To be honest, I haven't really looked through the others yet as I only got the books to help with the correct layout of the rigging.. I can tie knots, I am a former Able Seaman in the British Merchant Navy, I just want to know which line goes where!!

I forgot to say, I also just got hold of a mint copy of
The 100-Gun Ship Victory, Revised Edition (Anatomy of the Ship) by John McKay.

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Interesting -- I have often heard the green wooden tiles spoken of, but haven't ever seen them being used. It will be interesting to see how the finished task looks.

Cheers!

Hi there, They do look ok, shame I'm gonna cover them in copper foil tape...  I like the shiny authentic look so many other people have on their build logs.  I just used the tiles to give me the reference for the vertical joins when I do the rivet lines. (it's a scale thing)

36 minutes ago, spider999 said:

They do look ok, shame I'm gonna cover them in copper foil tape... 

Ah, I see. I've seen a lot of unflattering comments about the wooden tiles, but I don't think that they would look all that bad if given an appropriate finish. Gotta hand it to you for perseverance, though, doing both the tiles and tape -- whew!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Looking good Spider. I’m only just catching up with your progress. I used the little green tiles on my Victory and then painted them over with copper paint and then lightly sanded the copper paint to allow some of the green to show through, then sealed all with a clear finish. I think it came out okay. You are certainly taking it to the next level by applying copper tape over the top of the tiles.

14 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Ah, I see. I've seen a lot of unflattering comments about the wooden tiles, but I don't think that they would look all that bad if given an appropriate finish. Gotta hand it to you for perseverance, though, doing both the tiles and tape -- whew!

Hi mate, thank you for your comment.  I took my inspiration from YT, he did pretty much the same, ties then covered them with the foil tape.  His looks a lot better than my effort.  But then again a jeweller does have a very good attention to detail, bless him.

regards

Spider

IMG_2075.JPG

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

Spider - Love the way your tiles turned out - very well done!  The finished work impresses; now I’ve got a standard to shoot for!

Rob, dont thank me, thank YT, he is the one I am looking to for inspiration.  But you're welcome my friend.  

Was just gonna go down to my boatshed to see what the next challenge is on the instruction sheet!!, either end is gonna be daunting..  Cant wait to get started on the rigging..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello spider999
Merry Christmas and happy new year hope this year be better than all the pasts years :)

your build looks very nice i love planking, hope you did the cooper plats , i didn't use the cooper strip as every body did because in my country there is no modelling stores so i made a cooper plates same size and thickness of the green plates coming with the kit " by the way really it was bad idea because of the hardness to deal with that size of cooper " but at the end it looks nice .
i'm happy because we are almost on the same stage and this will motivate us to work constantly i believe.

hope you and your loved ones safe 

Completed Model: La Toulounaise

Current Build: HMS Victory, Mamoli kit, 1/90

On the Shelf: Corel HMS Victory Cross section

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 6:15 PM, spider999 said:

Cheers Bill, glad you like it.  It isn't as crisp and neat at YT's build but rather has the aged patina of a battered old sailing ship, bit like me!!!

spider,

I started this same kit recently, and I am using your thread so far as examples.

Bill