HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Happy New Year everyone...

My Victory's hammocks are completed.  Wish you all the best for next year and see you then.

Jerry

post-545-0-99059900-1388523413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Jerry - she looks great - lovely work, happy new year

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

very nice work there jerry very clean i like net u are doing as iam working on the corel kit 

Hello David..

Yep, you are so right..It's time to take a nap in a hammock...and in our climate I intend to do that if I can sneak into one of the neighbor's yards and crash in his hammock.  See you soon and always the best to you and yours...Jerry

Happy New Year to you too, Kevin.  Thanks for the visit and your nice words.  The best to you and yours...Jerry

Hello dragzz.. I appreciate your visit and your compliment.  Good luck with your build and the best for the new year.  Kamloops, alweays good hockey in that area...Miss playing the game.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Happy New Year, WackoWolf  and may thanks for your compliment.  If everyting goes okay I hope today to be the day that I finish all work on he hull.  There's plenty of touching up to do but that seems to be a continuous process.  So now it's cinamon rolls and coffee and of course, the bowl games.  Thanks again and the best to you.

Jerry

Hello Jerry

Happy new year to you and your admiral . Thanks for posting the bunch of photos of the hammock netting they look really good. I bought some of that toule and had a look at fitting it last night, and it makes a big difference, but will be a bit awkward for me with all the rigging about. So I will probably have a go at doing it next when I complete the last yard on the foremast. I got over 20 square feet of toule for a quid !!! So have plenty to give away. Thank again for the photos. DAVID

Hello David... Here it is the new Year Holiday and you and I are thinking HMS Victory.  LOL...The toule is very inexpensive and I have plenty left over.  I paid 38 cents for a 1/8 linear yard so I'm sure cost is not a factor.  To tell you the truth I am very happy to have that phase over with.  It didn't come out as good as I hoped but for a first go at it, I'm pretty pleased.  You are very welcome for the photos on attaching the netting..If there is anything not clear enough please let em know and I'll send more pictures.  I'm redoing the quarterdeck/poop deck stairways as they didn't match and looked terrible.  I need to put in the outboard railings and except for the ancor, I'm ready to begin the masts.  I hope your rigging is doing well as I know that's a very tough stage in this construction.  Take care and enjoy being one year older.  Best to you and yours,

Jerry

One more Happy New Year everyone.  This is a special new year's day for me as I have completed the last operation that complete's the hull and will be getting on to the Masts, rigging, etc.  So, here is the final photo of the step that completed the hull, the poop ladder handrails.  Thanks for putting up with all my blah blah this past year and I hope to be more precise in the future.

Jerry

post-545-0-06352000-1388608530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hey Lawrence... Hope you're not freezing up there  LOL   From here on in things will probably be going a lot slower.  I still have to decide how I'm going to taper the masts, etc. I Iike Gil's method which I believe David used too.  I'm tempted to get that Grizzly set up but I don't believe my drill will work.  For one thing it only has a 3/8" chuck and it's cordless and doesn't have a constant on switch.  I believe one has to hold the trigger in order to keep it running. I don't really want to invest in a lathe so until I make a decision as to how I'm going to proceed it may be a while before I get going.  In the meantime I'll just enjoy the football games.  ...Best to Bernadette,

Jerry

Thanks, Lawrence...I too enjoyed our chat.  And please let Bernadette know that her presence made the visit nicer.  Your idea on how to handle the square bit at the tapered end of the bowsprit was perfect.  It's completed and now it's all the other "Stuff" that needs to be added.  Have a great night.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry - just catching up with all the build logs i follow on MSW, i have been busy recently and the new build has kept me busy, although mainly in the facebook sites, i have now dropped working on fridays - so hopefully i will get more progress done and set an agenda to get back to my Victory, hope you had a good Christmas, and Happy New Year

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin..

it's nice to hear from you again and many thanks for the New Year wishes.  I wish the same to you and yours and hope that inspite of dropping working on Fridays, you have a new year that's propsperous.  I'm sure you are anxious to continue your Victory build and I look forward to watch your progress on your build site.  I am now in the bowsprit and mast stage and this has caused a considerable slow down as the manual, plans, etc are not explicit enough for my knowledge.  Fortunately there's David, Gil, and all of you that I can rely on for tremendous help.  Take good care and I look forward to a good year for both of us.

Jerry

Happy New year Patrick and many thanks for your visit to my build site.  I am very happy to have completed the hull but not very proud as I would like to be since some of stages could be better to scale.  Compared to Gil, David, Lawrence (and I could go on)  there are places that I certainly could have done better by not being so quick.  Well, live and learn...So I'll be taking more time during the maast and rigging phases as I have no choice.  The best to you...

Jerry

Hello everyone... I have finished the bowsprit and am now debating with myself as to what to do next.  On the one hand I'd like to complete the jibboom and the flying jibboom but wonder if these parts will be in jeopardy while working in other areas.  I could begin the masts  and get them ready for rigging as well as the bowsprit.  I know that David thinks I should start the masts before assembling the bowsprit but something inside of me feels that I should finish the bowsprit before going on to the masts.  Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.  In the meantime here are some photos of the construction of the bowsprit:

Jerry

post-545-0-85520600-1389201234_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75149600-1389201246_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55525800-1389201266_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60368300-1389201297_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-47510700-1389201307_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48230800-1389201323_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-37134600-1389201336_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75110800-1389201349_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24211800-1389201366_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-26691800-1389202252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Okay, okay...David is correct.  I'll follow HIS advice.  Hey wait a second!  Aren't you David?

Jerry

Hey Lawrence..

Now you know better than that.  I know you're joking but you do spend a lot of time blowing snow and chatting on the site.  LOL...  Anyway, Lawrence..I think you're doing terrific.  You're puting in much more detail than I am so you need more time.  Looks like I'm going to start the masts so I can "stick" the ship and begin rigging in a few weeks.  Thanks for the visit...Best,

Jerry

Hey Lawrence... Sorry to have missed you on skype.  It doesn't open when I turn my computer on, I have to activate it whch I usually don't do unless I want to use it or if I expect a call on it.  I am very happy to be sitting in my living room hoping to get my back back in decent shape. It will never be in good shape as long as I live because there is too much wrong with it.  Yes, I converted my garage to a woodworking shop (in a small scale) in order to use my table saw.  I made a jig to hold the dowels as I plane their sides down to proper taper.  That's great, right? ..... Wrong!  For some reason the jig wouldn't hold the dowel tight enough proving some kind of flaw in my design.  David told me that he didn't use a jig so I gave that a try by using my vice to hold the dowel.  And it works fine...or at least it did for the test piece I tried.  So I believe that's the way I'm going starting tomorrow.  These masts are tricky..... for example the masts are tapered on their sides only.  The front and back are not tapered at all.  But I did get a good thing done today.  I was able to vacuum the garage floor and that's something that was needed badly.  So thanks again for your concern; you're a good friend.  Hi to Bernadette..

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Hope all is going well and your platform are coming on well. Trust that Lawrence to have more gunports than us. I have been perusing he's log and reckon that four pane window at front is probably a carpentry shop, but don't tell him I said so. Catch you tonight and see how it's going.DAVID

Hi lawrence. 

Apreciate your visit and your complimentart comments.  It was excitng to find a way to shape the lower masts using the disc and belt ander but the upper masts are a different strory.  They change in diameter and shape at various points so I'll have to figure a way to do that.  I think it will be all hand work with the possible exception of any circular tapers.  In the meantime, anaad at David's suggestion, I intend to start the platforms this afternoon.  I have a r/c sailboat racing day this morning and will try and compete in that first.  As you know I have been following your excellent work on your log and am happy to see that you are ready to move into a different phase.  The weatherthis morning is absolutely beautiful, sunny and warm.  It's predicted to be 82 F this adfternoon.  have a happy day and give my best regards to your admiral.

Jerry

Good afternoon David,

Good to hear from you..Yep, leave it to Lawrwence to find something to enhance his model no matter the extra work.  He is doing so well and he's happy.  I intend to begn the platforms this afternoon as I have an R/C  sailboat racing day this morning. I look forward to talking to you this evening. Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi lawrence. I just posted on your log site.  To answer your question, I finished the first three races in last place,  Now no one ever said I was a great sailor but finishing last three times in succession raised an alert in my mind.  So, I pulled my boat out of the water and sure enough it was full of water.  Further examination found a hairline crack next to the keel....The culprit.  The boat is being repaired, in time for next week's races, I hope.  Now my progress....I have been working on the three mast's platforms.  The foremast platform is almost finished.  These parts take much more time to build than I originally thought they would.  I don't plan to post any photos on these parts until all three are finished which I estimate to be the weekend.  After the platforms I intend to finish the htree lower masts before doing anything else.  By the way, as I wrote on your log, your Victory looks fabulous.  Keep it up Lawremce and thanks so much for your visit to my log. Best to Bernadette.   Jerry

Good morning, MikeC...Many thanks for visiting my log and for your very nice words.  Please come see again. Take care, Jerry