HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Like I said...This boat is "stuck-up."  It has its nose in the air.  Too much plastic surgery.  LOL

Jerry

Hello Everyone.  The trials and tribulations of the Jerry dry dock continue....Today, after much deliberation and consultaion, I decided to rig the Main Yard bunt lines and leech lines.  There is a very confusing situation here as the manual dictates that the buntlines are not belayed in the proximity of the Main Mast.  In other words, while the lift lines come down to the deck to belaying points adjacent to the Main mast, the bunt lines pass under the Main Top and then double back and run forward to be belayed to pins at the foot of the Foremast.  This didn't seem correct but after some conversation and studying it has proven to be correct..  During this operation I had the unfortunate occurrence of a 3mm block come loose from under the Main top.  This is one that is a double and has both buntlines pass through it.  So I struggled for quite sometime to reattach it, all the time trying not to have the buntline threads fall out of it.  It was a happy moment when it was back in place and I could continue on with my work.  So the lift, bunt and leech lines are now rigged for the Main Yard.

The tails of all the lines are now beginning to accumulate all over the deck so I think that before going much further I will have to begin the coiling operation.

Hope everyone has enjoyed the weekend..   Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-08705400-1402267339_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-46594400-1402267356_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-33860800-1402267370_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

At least you knew the difference between the buntlines and the leech lines, sadly I messed up once again. In this instance I don't think the belaying plan layout did a lot to help. Well that's my excuse. But once again you have cracked it. Well done , you will soon be back down to the nose in the air pointy end. Cracking stuff Jerry DAVID ...... I am still building a little barge, but would rather not talk about it.

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello David...

You're too kind...  If you didn't tell me about the correct layout for the damn bunt and leechlines i certainly would have gotten it all messed up.  But you are so right; why are the plans so messed up?  Arrows pointing straight down instead of off in the right direction.  Oh well, who's to know the difference anyway?   Now about your barge....What's the problem ?  Certainly you can build another hull again.  Or, am I missing something?  Well anyway, thanks for all your help in getting me this far.

Jerry

Good morning everyone.  Not much to report today except to say that I will be gone from the shipyard for almost a month beginning next Monday.  I hope to complete the lift and buntlines on the Mizzen mast today so that upon my return I can tackle the rigging of the bowsprit.  In the meanwhile here are a couple of photos of Victory as she stands this morning.  I hope everyone has a fabulous day.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-13045800-1402403725_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68300100-1402403740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good evening, Rich.  I envy you living in Portsmouth.  I'd be visiting Victory every day or so.  Many thanks for your compliment and I know I'm going to get withdrawal symptoms after a few dys not working on Victory.  We'll be in Europe for about 4 weeks or so but we're missing the UK this year.  I hope to see Victory at Portsmouth in 2015.  Thanks again for your good wishes and have a happy....

Jerry

I know what you mean by withdrawal, I have not done any work on the hull in since Sunday keep walking past it, looking.. Oh well gave in tonight.:P

Well If you do Come to Sunny Portsmouth Keep in touch send me a message if you like:

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Hi Lawrence.

Many thanks for your compliment and the good trip wishes.  I know I'm going to wander aimlessly around the cruise ship looking for Victory.  It will be very difficult to remain calm during this trip knowing that my "baby" is sitting all alone on a cold table waiting for me to ge back.  The admiral has tried her best; she talked me into buying Stephen Beisty's "Cross Sections" Man-of-War" to lull me into calmness when I start dreaming of my model back in the States.  For your information. this book is an excellent detailed look at the inside of Victory and delves into the daily lives of the crew as they go about their chores.  It's a wonderful book and you may want to look it up.  My best to your admiral whom I'm sure I will chat with (and you too) before we leave.  Thank goodness for Skype.  Later,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello David..

.At least I'll have my little computer with me as we sail around the Med.  So I expect to keep up with the daily chat and make sure no one is saying thing behind my back.  LOL....Thank you so much for your good wishes which I can use.  We don't leave until Monday, by the way.  

About the barge, etc...I hope you find a way to hang it from a davit as there is no way I want to cover up the waist of the ship by putting the ship boats on the cross beams.

So now I think I'll practice making coils as I need to clear the deck of the many threads lying all over the place.

Take good care,

Jerry

Hello Everbody...  It's only 3 days until we fly to Barcelona but I'v tried to keep busy and get some more work done on Victory.  There's nothing else to do anyway as the Admiral, God bless her, takes over all the sorting and packing duties and I just stand around and ask dumb questions.  So I decided to keep going on Victory and managed to get a little more done today.  It was the spiritsail and spiritsail top sail yards that got my attention.  I manged to finish rigging their lift, bunt, sheets and cluelines today and I hope the attached photos will give some idea of what was done.  I don't have the luxury of a professional camera so my Samsung cell phone does all the work, good or bad.  If I do anymore chores in the drydock and get the chance, I'll try and post again before we leave.

Many thanks to all of you who have sent us bon voyages and the other good wishes.

Best regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-64776500-1402690075_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61394100-1402690102_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21090800-1402690130_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-06989500-1402690201_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60770800-1402690293_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Yo Jerry...good work...mistakes or not, your still a master for the details...Appreciated here at the beginners bench.

:-)

Happy sailing next week.

HMS Victory 1804 Caldercraft scale 1.72  (not 1.75) Build start, May 1, 2014.

Thanks for the good wishes, Woody...I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes but truthfully I need to wait for all the other guys to find them for me.  The ones I know of i tried to fix.  Have a good evening and keep moving to get out of that "beginners" catagory.

Jerry

Hey Lawrence... Thanks for taking time to go on my log.  It's always a pleasure to hear from you and needless to say our skype chats are a daily highlight.  I hope to get a decent experience travelling around Europe but I'm really sorry we're not going to the UK.  It would be terrific to see the HMS Victory in Portsmouth but maybe the following year.  Take care and I expect you to catch up to me while I'm gone.

Jerry

Yep, David...I have two copies, one for me and for a friend of mine in my model ship building club.  One cost me $15 and it was slightly used but in excellent shape...The other cost $20 and is brand new.  I'm taking one with me to read on the cruise 

I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm thinking about building a cross-section of Victory when the ship is finished.  I expect to get a monsterous size display case to show the Victory, the cross-section  (d'Agistino) and a couple of the ship's boats which won't be on davits.  Then my admiral plans to sell all of our living room furniture, including the baby grand piano, and convert the empty room to a museum for my ships.  She said she's keeping the proceeds from the sale because when all is said and done, she's divorcing me for another man who collects coins for a hobby.  I may have to move to the UK to gather sympathy from all my fellow British modellers.

By the way thanks for the kudos...You're a good man.

Jerry

I believe this will be the last post until I return from my trip.  I thought I'd help the admiral pack today but she shooed me out of the room so I tried to get a bit more work done on Victory.  The sheets and clue lines for the Fore topmast and fore topgallant yards are completed, the ship has been blessed and covered and until July 11th, adios amigos.

Jerry.

post-545-0-59378500-1402780587_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-82309000-1402780600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Enjoy the vacation.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone... I'm back in the dry dock yard after almost 4 weeks sailing around the Mediterranean.  It was a wonderful holiday having visited many countries some of which were new to me and the admiral.  Somehow, however, I managed to aggrivate my bad back and came home with a lot of pain and with a struggle to walk.  I have started the doctor visits and will take one step at a time.  In the meantime I have been given some pain pills which I'm sure will make me high and a danger when it comes to ship model building.  So until better things happen, I'll work on the Victory until I can't stand the pain anymore and then take a pain pill and retire for the day.

I have worked on the rigging some more.  The Fore Topmast, The Foretopgallant, The main Topmast and the Main Topgallant yard Sheets and cluelines are finished.  The mizzen yards are next and then it's off to the braces.

I hope everyone is well and there have been no tragedies while I was away.

Have very nice evening..

Jerry

post-545-0-34625400-1405538260_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56156700-1405538282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good to see you back, sorry to hear about the bad back; it's something I have a lot if problems with also since slipping a disc a few years ago, so I know how painful and disabilitating it can be.

You rigging looks good continue as best you can and I hope the back gets better soon.

Glenn (UK)

As well as the rest of the crew.. welcome home. And also I share your pain thoughts. I too have ruptured disc with L1 and

L5 in the pain dept. since 1978.

I will be adding a Lathe to my armory machines tomorrow to do my future masts turnings.

Looking forward to more of your expertise.

"Woodchipper"

Woody

HMS Victory 1804 Caldercraft scale 1.72  (not 1.75) Build start, May 1, 2014.

Hello Glenn.  

Good to hear from you.  I appreciate your good wishes and have already began the doctor cycle.  As soon as I know for sure what the exact situation is I'll feel a lot better to have least had a diagnosis.  The neurologist agreed that it's a disc problem; I have one more opinion coming tomorrow and then it's into the fix it stage.  Hopefully a good old injection will do the trick.

Keep up yourr good work on your model.  I followed your progress while on the cruise and am excited for you.  Take care, Glenn..

Jerry

Hello Rich..

Many thanks for your visit to my log and for your much appreciated nice feelings.  Hopefully I'll be able to get ship-shape again without surgery.  Time will tell.  In the meantime I'm puttering along and ignoring the back.

Take care,

Jerry

Good to hear from you, John.

I believe that half the passengers on the Holland American Nieuw Amsterdam were from Australia.  We did meet and eat with several Australians from Adelaide and are beginning to master Australian English.  We truly enjoyed our time with the "down under" folks and especially enjoyed taking their money at theTexas Hold 'em poker table.  

So now it's back to my Victory to do as much as I can before overtaken by pain.  Oh well, I do have some mighty strong pain pills.

Take care,

Jerry

Good morning, Woody.

Thank you for dropping in to say hello.  I wonder if you own a drill press?  I found it much easier to make the masts and yards using a drill press rather than a lathe.  I used a lathe when I built Cutty Sark and found it worked well but I felt as if I had more control when using the drill press.  Maybe others feel differently.  Let me now how you do.

Back pain can be very debilitating as you know.  I hope my visit to my "pain" doctor tomorrow will alleviate the situation.

Please stay in touch.

Jerry

lovely work been a pleasure to catch up with you build, hope the pain goes away soon