HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hello, Glenn.  Your words are really too nice.  Thanks so much for your comments; they are very welcomed.

Best,

Jerry

Hello, David...When one is 82 he is always in a hurry.  Need to make sure things get done.  LOL...Thanks for your comments on the davits; they really take some thinking to install.  Hope your evening is going well and that you are almost ready to birth your ship.

Take care,

Jerry

Good afternoon everyone.

Just a quick post to show the two davit seen from the stern and the port davit.  Now that the davits are shipped I have the lamps, the ensign staff and the loops and coils to finish.  But first, I I'm going to build the ship's boats.  The manual is very helpful here; it has advised me that it should take about "two weeks of evening's work."  We'll see about that.  Take care everyone,

Jerry

post-545-0-05977900-1411059516_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60773600-1411059526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello again...I began to build the ship's Launch, first of four ship's boats.  During construction I noticed that the keel was incorrectly notched as one of the attached photo shows.  It wasn't a problem to cut a new notch and the incorrect original notch will be covered with the planking.  The bulkheads, at the point where they are attached to the keel, are very thin and weak.  In fact two of them broke in half as I tried to attach them to the keel. I found it easier and less dangerous to mount the floor to the bulkheads first and the attach this assembly to the keel. I wish to thank David and Glenn for their help with words and photos.  Thanks,

Jerry

post-545-0-01876100-1411158663_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-17978200-1411158674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello everyone... It took a couple of days but I finally realized the reason I had trouble fitting the bulheads on the launch's keel.  I couldn't understand why one of the notches in the keel didn't line up properly.  So I went ahead and cut a new notch in the keel and assembled the launch's hull frame as best I could.  Believing it would be a good idea to build a second ship's boat at the same time,  I began to build the barge.  When I went to look for the barges keel I discovered that I used it for the launch and the whole mystery unravelled.  And I almost did too.  It was impossible to take the first assembly apart so I decided to start over again.  I ordered three new sheets of ship boat's parts from Jotika which left me thinking of something else to do.  I decided to start making and installing the coils.  And,  I admit my stupidity.

When researching the ways of making the coils I discovered in a MSW article a method that seemed unbelievably simple.  One uses a needle nose pliers as the spindle to wrap the thread around to form the coil. I placed the pliers in a vise to keep it from opening and to provide a stable working platform.  Where on the pliers one winds the coil will determine the size of its diameter. The article says to place a little white glue between your thumb and forefinger and run the thread through the glue on these fingers.  Then, wind the thread aound the pliers until you have the coil thickness you want.  Let the coil dry for a short time and slide it off the pliers; let it dry fully and trim it.  See my photos for explanation.

I am enjoying this process since it seems to be going well.  When it comes to the coils to be suspended from the belaying pin racks, the article says to squeeze the coil into an oblong shape before it dries.

Here are the photos taken so far.  i hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-35385400-1411489629_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32492800-1411489641_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20388100-1411489657_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-74539700-1411489681_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-43938800-1411489694_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-97751300-1411494257_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93985800-1411506302_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61129700-1411506326_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16128300-1411660897_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-40407600-1411660929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry

thx a lot for this hint - that REALLY helps

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hello Max,

Nice to hear from you.  I'm happy to oblige but remember,this was not my idea.  I read about it in an other article on MSW.  Please call again.

Jerry

Hello david..

yes, indeed. It's the correct circumstances.

Have a nice day,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence.

Yeah, too bad.  But as you always point out, that's part of building ship models.  Live and learn.  Did you guys fish out the lake up there yet?

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.  Just to prove I'm still working here some pictures of some more coils.  We're getting there.  Have a good night and take care,

Jerry

post-545-0-06629600-1411946120_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-74405000-1411946138_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75532100-1411946173_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-01773600-1411946200_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good afternoon everyone...  I'm happy to say that the coils (and loops) have been completed. As many of you now when building this model it's difficult not to beak something off during construction.  The "pointy things", as Shipyard Sid calls them, probably have seen breakoffs and replacements a dozen times at least.  Since it now seemed to be safe,  I finally mounted the ensign staff which,according to the construction manual, should have been attached a long time ago.  I didn't do it then because it is just another "pointy thing" beckoning to be broken.  I still have the lanterns to attach to the stern and foremast which will be the next step as I wait for the ship's boat parts to arrive from Jotika.  Here a couple more photos which, with the rest previoius posted, should show all the coils includong the little one at the bottom of the mainmast---often missed.

post-545-0-21103100-1412021933_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60096600-1412021947_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-62430900-1412021988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good afternoon everyone

Today is the day that I mounted the ship's lanterns and now I can go no further until certain parts arrive from Jotika.  They were shipped a day or so ago so it'll be touch-ups, fixes and worrying about a display case and mountings until the parts get here.  The parts are for the ship's boats so I'm stuck until then.  I also have to figure out a way to stand the ship in the display since I failed to drill holes in the bottom of the keel for mounting.  I don't want to use a cradle as it distracts from the ship so I have to work on some method......  Any suggestons will be greatly appreciated......  My first and only other build, the Cutty Sark, has been sitting in an acrylic case for abou 15 years now and there is no trace of dust (I did wax all the lines) and no discloration in the acrylic.  I have more or less decided on another acrylic case but this time I'm going to stand it on a low wooden table instead of an acrylic bench like Cutty Sark.  So until the parts arrive for building the boats I plan to spend my time thinking about mountings and display cases. 

Here are a couple of pictures of the ship's lanterns.  I achieved the yellow candle burning look by lining the inside of the lanterns with yellow plastic, an idea that Lawrence suggested.  He also was very kind to send me the plastic. 

Have a great evening everyone and take care,

Jerry

post-545-0-49014600-1412104364_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36074600-1412104380_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07231300-1412104399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence.  Happy that you guys made it home safely.  I hope you had a wonderful trip and enjoyed your holiday to the upmost. I'm most anxious to hear all about it.  Many thanks for your compliments regarding Victory; coming from a wonderful builder as yourself, I take it very kindly.  I'm still waiting for the parts from Jotika for the ship's boats which will be my next endeavor.  I have begun getting quotes on the display case and table.  You won't believe how much a case the size I need in acrylic cost.  Mininum $750 plus tax.  And then of course there's the table, at least another 600 to $1000.  But Victory will be worth it.  I have decided to stand Victory on a custom cradle I'll design and build which will sit on a mounting board on top of the table.  I plan to lay strips, either of acrylic or wood,  on top of the table on which the display case will fit over.  The strips are to hold the case in place.  Have a wonderful weekend and my best to Bernie.  I'm sure I'll see you guys on skype real soon.

Best,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jerry,

Just love your Victory. Absolute fantastic work you've done with her!!

I was wondering if you do have a plan how to build the ships wheel and the binnacle.

I don't have it in my kit and cannot find it anywhere :(

Would be absolute great with some help.

I would also pay for them if I could find some :)

Greetings

Philippe

Hello Phillipe..

Thank you for visiting my log and especially for your very complimentary words.  Yes, I do have the instructions and the plans for building the ship's wheel and the Binnacle.  If you are building the kit, the insructions are in the Hull Construction manual, page 27, 3rd and 4th paragraph.  The plans for both are on Plan sheet 4.  Please let me know what your status is. If you are not building the kit I will do my best to get you the information.

Have a happy day,

Jerry

Hello Everyone...

Just a quick note that I have made a little progress on the ship's boats.  I have finished the first planking of the Launch and have washed it down with diluted Elmers cement.  It has been sanded and is ready for the second planking.  To be continued when I return from my trip to California and New York State.  Some photos attached.

Best to everyone,

Jerry

post-545-0-44251200-1413409034_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92169200-1413409046_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39840400-1413409057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

Well I'm back in the shipyard after nearly a week of travelling from coast to coast attending my Granddaughter's wedding and unfortunately, my Admiral's mother funeral.  It was no fun having the highs and lows so close together,  But it's over and I'm back and have begun to work on the Launch again.  The second planking has been finished, the ribs and thwart risers have been installed and the outside of the hull has been woodfilled, sanded and ready for finishing.  There a several more things to do before finishing but here are some photos as the launch stands now.  I hope to have it finished in a day or two.

post-545-0-89924300-1414202875_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-35753800-1414202889_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24822100-1414203080_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

sorry for your loss and glad for the good things that have happened, nice to see you back in the man cave

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Phillipe..

Thank you for visiting my log and especially for your very complimentary words.  Yes, I do have the instructions and the plans for building the ship's wheel and the Binnacle.  If you are building the kit, the insructions are in the Hull Construction manual, page 27, 3rd and 4th paragraph.  The plans for both are on Plan sheet 4.  Please let me know what your status is. If you are not building the kit I will do my best to get you the information.

Have a happy day,

Jerry

Hi Commander!

No, i don't have any plan or drawing of those two item (binnacle and ship whell.

I am not making a real kit, as I bought some rests from an old kit, and am working mainly as a scratch build.

Bur as I do have a kit plan (real poor one) I try to follow some of the instructions on it.

Unfortunatly, there is nothing at all about those two item.

Hope you can help me :)

Best regards

Philippe

Hello Phillipe..

I have searched all my references, including Longridge's book, and can only find what is on my kit's plans.  I have attached two drawings showing the assembly of the ship's wheel and the Binnacle.  I hope this will help you as it is all I have from my kit.

Kind regards

Jerry

post-545-0-39867600-1414241837_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-94991700-1414241867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Kevin.

Nice to hear from you and many thanks for your well appreciated comments.  Yes, it's good to get over some of life's tribulations and to be back doing what I love.  I figure about another month or so and I'll be ready to display my Victory.  Building the ship's boats turns out to be fairly difficult but the end result is worth it.  Have a great weekend.

Best,

Jerry

Good day, Glenn.

Thanks for your visit.  I notice that you are doing very well with your build; keep up the great work.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence.

Leave it to you to make things right.  I'm sure fixing your davits wasn't easy but it will addto the beauty of your build.  I'm enjoying working on the little boats and expect to have the launch fiished in the next day or two.  Here's a picture showing where I'm at.  The next step are the gunnels.  Have a great weekend and don't forget to say high to Bernie.  Best to you,

Jerry

post-545-0-83690300-1414242792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry