HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hello David.

First the good news even though it's kind of private in a way.  But most people on this site know I had back surgery and that I'm back  (no pun intended) at the workbench,  I just came back from the surgeon, his first look at the xrays and the incision since the surgery, and he said I'll be like new in a few weeks.  I figure I'll be like new when I'm getting ready to worry about the display case as you are doing now.

The brass things can be found on sheet number 16 and they are part 603.  I used little split rings for the ring called for in the instructions..

Thank you for all your attentiveness you've given me and I want you to know that I sincerely will always be grateful.

Jerry

Hello Foxy.

It was so nice to hear from you and to know that you are enjoying my work.  I believe you'll be building one of these beautiful wooden ships and once you begin you'll be hooked for life. The detail is very challanging but the results are worth it.  I look forward to hearing from you again and to your wooden ship build.  Have a great weekend.

Jerry

Good afternoon, Brian.

Many thanks for visiting my log.  I hope that some of my work will help you as you build "Carmen"   It looks to me that you know what you're doing and will end up with a beautiful model when all is said and done.  It looks excellent at this point.  Have a great weekend.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn.

Thanks for the drop-in.  Just came back from the surgeon who said everything looks perfect.  That was happy news.

Once those cannnons are done the rest begins to move quickly.   So I say..........

Have a great weekend.

Jerry

lovely work my friend, hopefully i will get a few hours in my man cave this weekend, subject to DIY and gardening

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin..  Nice to hear from you.  I wonder if you had a chance to put the logos on thr fire buckets yet?  I'll be watching as i'm interested in how that neatt touch works out,  Laziness got the betterof me on that one and I left the buckets painted only.  Have a geriffic weekend.

Jerry

Hello Lawrence.

Thanks for checking up on me.  I haven't done too muxh on Victory but I'm managing to do a litle every day.  The fore and Main yard sheets. cluelines, etc. are finished and I have been working on completig the travelling guy, guy pendant and flyingjib boom guy.  So far I have managed to rig the  travelling guys, port side picture attached.  I can't do too much each day as I stll get fatigued quickly.  Hope to see you later.

Jerry

post-545-0-26398100-1409755579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thank you for your visit, Keith and for your compliment.  Please check in again soon.

Jerry

Thanks so much to you and Bernadette for remembering my birthday and for your good wishes.  I suppose the bells and whistles will show up this evening when Charlene gets back from work.  We don't expect to do much bu probably just go out to dinner.  I'm able to do a little each day on the boat but as of this time haven't given much thought to how to display it.  David's display case will be a beauty as you can see how well it's being made.  I don't have the patience nor the talent to build such a project so I'll probably end up having one made.  Your Victory looks niceer every day and I know you are very proudof her so now you need to decide where such a worthy model should stand.  Have a great day and my love to Bernie..

Jerry

Greetings !!!!!!!

Wishing you a very happy birthday young man !!!!!! Maybe you will get a suprise pressy off the admiral tonight. Could be some foreign coins or a stamp album. How about asking for a new kit to build once your Vic is completed, I reckon you will start another build. Anyway have a cracking day. Regards DAVID

Thanks, David...I feel a lot younger today.  It's a good birthday and the broken mess (cryptic) I wrote you about is no more.  Everything is like new and it's a wonderful birthday present.  I've been thinking about my next build and one thing I'm interested in is a cross section build of Victory.  I don't know if what's available is what I'm looking for but I have kind of zeroed in on that.;  Have a wonderful evening.

Jerry

Sorry I missed you Birthday, hope you had a good day

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good morning, Kevin.

I had a great birhday thanks to being remembered by others including you.  Many thanks for thinking of me and I hope you have a wonderful week.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.

I'm happy to say that I have begun to make some additional progress on my build.  Today I attached the port Bower anchor and am providing some photos of the details.  I'm real happy to be back in the dry dock and not worrying about health issues.  Thanks so much to everyone of you who has wished me the best because your wishes are coming true.  Best to you all,

Jerry

post-545-0-90339600-1410287639_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-08570600-1410287667_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-71549100-1410287694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks Glenn   for the birthday wishes and for your compliment  Yep, things are moving along again and my work day is lengthening.  and that's a good thing.  Happy to see the nice progress you're making on your Victory.  Take care,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.

Yes, it was very nice talking to you yesterday.  Your Victory looks so majestic with the sails blooming from it.  You have done such a beautiful job and your build will take front and center honors no matter where you show her.

The anchor blocks, or triple cat blocks as the manual refers to them,  do come with the kit and are specifically called out to be 8.5mm. The kit provides two of these blocks, one for each bower anchor.  I'm happy you pointed out the size as I believe a purpose of this web site is to call attention to any possible errors.  These blocks do look large but as I said, they are the ones provided by the kit manufacturer.  You may want to check David's log to see that the blocks he used are the same .

I hope you enjoy your remaining "batch" days and that you remember to eat your meals.

Take good care,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence...

Why in the world do you believe that you may have upset me??   That is simply not true.  As I wrote to you earlier I appreciate hearing from members of possible errors or mistakes.  This is a great way to find out.  I am not upset at all.  I think with Bernadette away you're worrying too much.   LOL

No need to send me pictures of Gil's Jeer blocks as I have seen them while browsing through his log.  I left the blocks square because they looked that way to me and so that they match, I intend to install the starboard block the same way,

Maybe I'll see you later.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everyone...

Today has been a great day for me as I was physically able to work in the dry-dock almost all day.  It was also a great day because I managed to complete mounting all the large anchors to my Victory.  There is still one more anchor to rig and that's the kedge anchor.  Most people don't realize that Victory carried a small anchor (kedge anchor) at the aft end of the mizzen channel.  This small hook was used to manueuver the ship when in tight places such as harbors.  A ships boat was used to carry the kedge a few hundred feet or so to a place in the direction the ship was to be moved.  The kedge was firmly set in the bottom and its line was used to haul the big ship toward it.  I hope to show the kedge at my next posting.  Thanks for your attention and I hope i've been helpfull.  Pictures are attached with captions explaining them.  Take care..

Jerry

post-545-0-29435000-1410551690_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32219400-1410551709_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-02558300-1410551737_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44337000-1410551756_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-95412200-1410555408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence... Thank you very much for your compliment regarding the anchors.  I appreciate your checking into the kedge anchor(s) as I have never read or heard anything about them until I learned about the one that comes with the Victory kit.  I am particularly interested as to where you learned that Victory carried 2 kedge anchors.  I assumed she only carried one since the kit only supplies one and specifically calls out that it is latched by strop to the starboard mizzen channel.  In any event it was very nice to speak to you today and to meet some of the feminine members of your family.  Now it's time for some butterscotch fudge...Best to you,

Jerry

Hello Glenn and many thanks for visiting my log and for your compliment.  

Since my last post David, Shipyard Sid,  has really set the record straight regarding Victory's anchors.  David sent me a clip from Peter Goodwin's Book in which it is shown that Victory actually carried 7 anchors:

2 Bower anchors, one actually larger than the other,

2 Sheet anchors used as spares in case one of the bowers was lost,

2 kedge anchoirs (one a bit larger than the other) and

1 stream anchor.  

The stream anchor was a little larger than the kedge and was used primarily in streams and shallow water.  Occassionally it was used in the same manner as the kedge, to move the ship in crowded areas.

I wish to thank David for taking the time to settle this issue.

I have also posted a couple of pictures of the kedge anchor stropped to the aft of the starboard mizzen channel.  The contrast is not too good to see the anchor on one of the pictures but I hope you getthe idea as to where it is mounted.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-66252400-1410625969_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-89420700-1410625982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence...I thank you very much for your visit and for your interest.  That little kedge anchor was a bugger to locate and install.  I'm surprised you could see it because  when I look at the model it blends in with the rest of the black background and is hard to find.  In the meantime I've been working on the ship's boat's davits and when I finally get that done I plan to do the same thing as David, hang two of the four boats.  Here's a picture of the four davits during their construction waiting for the hinges to be attached and to be painted.  I plan to paint the davits and all of their parts yellow ochre.  I imagine you are planning for the trip up north and I hope that you get beautiful weather while camping.  Take good care,

Jerry

post-545-0-33237300-1410812291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everyone.

Today was work on davits day and try and get them hinged to the starboard side and rigged.  As everyone knows things take a lot longer, especially when your feeling happy and what you're working on is a model ship.  However, I did manage to accomplish my goal and the the starboard davit is attached and rigged.  Now all I need is a ship's boat to replace the clips hanging from the hooks.  Here are some photos of the work as it was in progress.  Please place your mouse ove the photo for its caption.

Many thanks...Jerry

post-545-0-51754000-1410979215_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-66928200-1410979234_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-09856400-1410979253_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-37865500-1410979265_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-25882200-1410979307_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-57026600-1410979330_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21186200-1410979352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

well done, thankyou for the anchor info

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello Kevin..

How ya doin'?  Happy my anchor information was helpful.  Don't forget the kedge anchor; it's easy to forget about.  Have a great evening.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry