There are two wood suppliers who sponsor this forum.  Crown Timber Yard and Syren.  Both have very good quality woods.  Syren is not primarily a wood supplier but the wood Chuck has is excellent.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

A digital micrometer to measure the thickness would help with your selections and if you enter the dark side (scratch) will be a necessary tool.

WoodCraft has Basswood, Hard Maple, and Black Cherry in thin stock as well as a variety of veneer choices.

An alternate, since the stock is so thin, use paper (cardboard) instead.   The wood pattern can be painted - probably lots of on-line how to sites.

Or you can find an appropriate wood texture on a 3D CG site and use your printer to turn the paper into "wood".

If you search the site for the discussions on knife blades - Xacto vs surgical vs a real violin makers knife - the stock is so thin cutting rather than sawing appears to be what would be the way to free the planks from the board stock.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

the discussions on knife blades - Xacto vs surgical vs a real violin makers knife

The correct answer is real knife, but not necessarily a violin maker's knife. You're welcome :)

//but you should keep around an Xacto for cleaning out dried glue and cutting sandpaper and the like

Yes.  Scroll down the home page here and click on their banner sponsor ads - they go right to their web sites.   Both are East coast.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

7 minutes ago, irishrover1970 said:

Oh. I did not know that. Are Crown Timber Yard and Syren in the US? Sorry, I’m sure these new guy questions get old ☹️.

Bart...

I know Syren is a US company and I think Crown Timber Yard is as well. 

Russ

Good deal! Thank you Russ. But I recall reading one of these posts here that said Crown left them hanging. Someone had ordered something and the site shut down. They wrote and called and no one got back to them for a long time. I  Believe it was all sorted out in the end  but that dose not make me want to trust them. Sorry but they have  competitors with impeccable ratings  And great  customer service that I would  rather take my chances with  After reading such things.

Jason, the owner of Crown did have a shutdown due to a family emergency.   It took some time to sort out but he's back and shipping wood.  I've used both Crown and Syren and heartily recommend them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...