It has been About 6 weeks now, that I startet building the Queen Anne Barge, I purchased in 2018 from Chuck Passaro. It is a very special and beautiful model kit he created. The instructions are excellent. For those of us, who are still curious about new techniques and challenges. there can be learned a lot.

I don't start my build log right from the beginning, because I somehow missed taking photos at the early stages. It is probably not too interesting anyway for there are other and better build logs about this model. At the moment I am at the point to deal with varnish and colour, so things get difficult, because one can ruin a model at this stage very easily. For now just some images.

Matthias

2.jpg

1.jpg

2b.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

That is looking excellent!!!  Its good to see someone taking such care with their paint work.  Very nice progress.

Thank you for your comments.

In February we have been at NMM / Greenwich. I must say, I was a bit disappointed, for ther were just a few models on display. I thougt, I would see all the famous models like HMS Amazon and HMS Winchelsea ;), but no, they are obviously all stored away. What a pity.

But anyway I saw Prince Frederics barge, and it is such a Beauty. I like the dull shine of the red painted parts of the interior and the contrast to the gildet ornaments. Here are three photos I took so you see, what I mean.

II.2.jpg

II.3.JPG

II.1.jpg

Edited by Beckmann

Yesterday I just sandet everything again with steel wool, I am unhappy with the colour I use, it has a sort of ugly glittering, which is not what I want. I will go and get a more dull colour and try to add the dull shine afterwards maybe with a wax polish or varnish, I have to try different options. I also sandet the little inbord frames and added som gilding paint on one of them, to see how that looks like. For the wooden parts I use spreadable ( I hope that is the right word) shellac, which has a lovely shine.

Matthias

II.4.jpg

II.6.jpg

II.5.jpg

Edited by Beckmann

Für deutsche Leser: meine Unterlage ist übrigens nur die Mecklenburgische Kirchenzeitung und keine fromme Kampfschrift.

(Sorry, I just explained for german readers, that my underpacking ist just the regional church magazin and no religious tract)

Edited by Beckmann

I bought some dull/mat acryl-Colour, type cherry and added some drops of black colour to darken it a bit. Then I painted everything twice, so it covers well.

III.1.thumb.jpg.63a4a4300330310eb35a794ef93e4257.jpg
III.2.thumb.jpg.744cb4b701a129ff33c7c986dc2ff40b.jpgIII.3.thumb.jpg.668ca5f5a26c6f56bb55ceb9f94e5b7a.jpg
On the spare piece I tried out from left to right: wax polish (not good, does not really connect with underground and looks dirty), varnish, and shellac, whiped on with a cloth. Wiping on shellac is probably the most elaborate way, but one can control the gloss level very well. So I probably go for that.

III.5.jpg.0af0a8ac111e2021d8b62f3fa3b585c5.jpg

III.4.thumb.jpg.1a3aa60da49b92308a54595cfab93fd4.jpg

The gildet frames look nice on the red underground. They still need treatment, but I think I will go for gildet ornaments, frames and moldings.

Matthias

Edited by Beckmann

One thing you might want to try is a spray fixative.  I will spray the entire model with a light spray of matte fixative or dull coat.  This really evens out the red paint.  You should give it a try on those extra pieces.  I spray from about 18 inches away from the model and it really does wonders for the finish.

Summary of Surface:

sanding, primer

sanding, first coat of colour

sanding, second coat of colour

sanding, third coat of Colour

first varnish coat

second varnish coat

That's it now. When working on it, I remembered, that when I made an apprenticeship as a joiner / Carpenter, some 25 years ago, we used to water the wooden surfaces. The wood fibers stood up, and when you sandet them down, you hardly had to do any sanding at all anymore. I don't know, why I forgot about that. - Next time -.

At the Moment I am busy doing the moldings. I haven't done that before, so I had to practise a bit. First thing to do was to make a scraper, tiny enough for these small strips. I used an old metal scraper About 2 mm thick and milled the profile into it with a little cutting wheel from the dremel. It worked quite well. The shaping of the strips also worked well. 

V.1.jpg.6e7246da5f04972eacee064ca2ec1779.jpgV.2.thumb.jpg.70c993415266bd1efadea0830e6d06f2.jpgV.3.thumb.jpg.f34bed6b2011488cdadfdf2717e761f7.jpgV.4.thumb.jpg.70c15644c553b99cc84d3d14ddf052e6.jpgV.5.thumb.jpg.ac9ed7141f4482908b3698cc33d93ad5.jpgV.6.thumb.jpg.967166dffab1dbe5d01d4bc9cab2a1cc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chuck,

I have a problem, I don't know, why it occured: The keel ist bending about 3 mm upwards in the middle. During the planking I had it on the frame all the time. I preformed the planks with heat, so they were not very much forced in place. Is there a way to prevent this? Certainly not any more at this stage of building, but I would like to know, what I did wrong. I will post a photo of the problem later.

Matthias

Edited by Beckmann

I have no idea...could be a few things.  My guess is the frames were not securely glued into the keel allowing for some movement.  Or the base was warped from the beginning and and just not noticeable.  There isnt much you can do about it at this point though.  I am sure nobody will notice.  Impossible to tell in the photos.

Chuck

Superb work. She becomes beautiful with the ornaments in place.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I installed the oars. I like them being in place like seen on the photos, it gives an Impression of speed. Although this is quite a space-consuming way of displaying the model, I think I will go for it. I also made a mirror-baseboard, so one can see better the unplanked bottom of the model. Next I will made the showcase.

Matthias

VIII.1.thumb.jpg.30e3f8fdcd2a6d1ff7bae8524eb5b7d4.jpgVIII.2.thumb.jpg.0ba26ebe52230e811955cba52d717705.jpgVIII.3.thumb.jpg.65c1afb6dd649774481e5b464f4d4eeb.jpg

She looks magnificent, Matthias !! I love the mirrored baseboard - great idea.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

She is beautiful ! I really like having put the oars in place and the baseboard is pleasing. Stunning work !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

to finish this build Log, here are some photos of the Display case. I altered the baseboard by reducing the mirror-surface. I think it looks better like this and confuses not so much, if one looks at the model. The mirror area still allows , seeing the unplanked bottom of the barge. Now I just need to finish the varnish of the baseboard, and thats it done.

One word to Chuck:

Thank you for this fantastic kit, it was really fun to build it. Looking at the barges in NMM, Greenwich or the book about the Kriegstein-Collection makes me think, how nice an oarsmen-crew would be. Maybe one day, you should talk to your chinese carver, (Jack was his Name?) to develop a resin-casting for one ore two types of oarsmen. This is such a popular model, I am shure you will sell hundreds of oarsmen, to man all the barges. How many did you sell by now? Maybe 150 barges, that is a demand of 1500 oarsmen :) !!!

Matthias

MatthiasIX.1.thumb.jpg.e91366848bdeac7f342b637e6b84de26.jpgIX.2.thumb.jpg.6c05a165d5157d79a9d2c37861730b46.jpgIX.3.thumb.jpg.bc3fec41565d335b1c230c50571a48d5.jpgIX.3.1.thumb.jpg.1663e2f5f267fce90ec551f262565db9.jpgIX.4.thumb.jpg.49f86a1c1b951172f44868db5f23f0e4.jpgIX.5.thumb.jpg.b41453306f42a2c3e90c5f5882097f83.jpgIX.6.thumb.jpg.276a623d344f9145f637106c35846754.jpgIX.7.thumb.jpg.581b045359562b787a90255ffd85250c.jpg

Simply beautiful presentation.   You make my kits look so good!!!  Best marketing any business could hope for.   I did contemplate making some figures.   But I dont want to overwhelm my casting guy.   He is going nuts right now working on the castings for Winnie.

Chuck