Victory Constructo Ship worth

Siol

not as mush as you anticipate, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A complete guess here:

POB,  kit,  subject that is probably one of the three most overdone  :  Victory,  SOS,  Constitution

Probably the same as the original kit.

I costed out the price of a finished model, if I based it on the $60/hr I was getting from my day job a decade ago  - a billionaire would not pay that much.  On a return per time expended, this is a charitable exercise at best.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

50 minutes ago, Siol said:

How much is not as much? 

thank  you

d.

sorry with my abrupt answer, many people think that a well made model will go for large amounts of money, but it is rarely the case, unless commission built, there is alwaays a i in a 1000000 chance  that something on the market that someone is looking for but sadly not the one you are referring to

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

To find out what someone is willing to pay, see if you can display it in a consignment shop and put a price of at least 2x the price of the kit, and see what kind of offers you get.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

5 minutes ago, Siol said:

ok. which modelship could be the most expensive? or all modeshipbuilding is a worthless charitable endeavour?

Thank you

d.

Not quite sure where your question is leading, are you building to sell ?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

It is just like trying to sell your paintings if you are an fine artist.   Unless you have a track record of sales no matter what the quality of the art which shows some provenance, and you have a name and some following and notoriety in the industry, your art wont sell for that much.  This takes years to develop and usually that means selling through galleries and auction houses.  You will sell them at very low prices at first and then if your lucky.....you will gain a reputation and name for yourself and command higher prices.   Its hard work to do this of course.

I have seen good, master quality ship models sell for $30,000 and up...... and I have seen equally good work sell for $100's of dollars.   Mostly because the builder doesnt have the name or reputation that commands higher prices.  Its just the way things work.  A gallery or good nautical reseller will do whatever they can to inflate your name and reputation so it does get more well known......in order to hopefully raise the asking price to match the quality of craftsmanship.   If your work is less than master quality which should be left to others to judge in the industry, then most likely the model will be considered "furniture grade display" like the hundreds of models sold on Ebay and elsewhere.  If you google any nautical auctions from various houses that sold models you will see some outstanding work with final sales prices in the hundreds.  Some maybe around $1500 - $2000.   Most if not all of them are not kits or kit-like.  So without a photo it would be very hard to say.  But I wish you the very best of luck.

These can command a few hundred dollars and maybe a bit more as a decorative item at best.   Its a tough racket to break into.

For an example.....check out this Victory model which is in a beautiful case with table.  If we as ship model builders tried to just buy this case and table for something we built it would cost more than what the model was sold for at auction.   This model of Victory with additional cross section...... all cased up sold for just $400.  It is a typical kit model nicely made with sails.  Probably a Mamoli kit maybe.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24092/lot/392/

24686974-25-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&a

I do not mean to discourage you,   developing a reputation and a following takes time.  For example, I was offered $12,000 for my Cheerful not long ago.   I didnt sell it however because its something that needs to be used as part of my business.  I also sold one of my 1/4" pinnace models and 1/4" longboat models to a collector not long ago.   They sold for about $3900 as a pair...all cased up.  Not a huge sum but I made several others that I have decided to keep and how many of these can you have laying around. 

For the past 15 years I have just been giving my models away as I complete them....but my wife and kids want to keep a few of them now.  The few models that I have sold were to people who came to me and specifically wanted to buy my model or have me build one for them.  This is a very different situation and one I am grateful for.   My guess is because I dont have much of a name as a frequent seller of models outside of the few who already know me, if I tried to sell one at a gallery or auction,  I would get about $500 as well.   Not enough to cover the cost of the case and materials.  Unless you get someone who seeks you out personally and realizes the value of of your time and expertise and level of craftsmanship, selling them is hard.  It takes work and a lot of time and help to get recognized as a ship model artist that commands decent money for their models.

pinfin3.jpg

finishedlongboat6.jpg

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

It is just like trying to sell your paintings if you are an fine artist.   Unless you have a track record of sales no matter what the quality of the art which shows some provenance, and you have a name and some following and notoriety in the industry, your art wont sell for that much.

Or another option is for you to die.:o   Most artists works tend to sell for a lot more when that happens, but then the money doesn't exactly do them much good any more.:huh:

The models that I sold myself ended up selling for just the price of the kit or material.  At least that way I recovered that cost, had more room for more models, and had money in hand to buy the next one.  That way I had essentially gotten that model and the fun of building it for free! B)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

1 hour ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Or another option is for you to die.:o

Just to be clear, this is not an MSW officially sanctioned selling technique. 😁

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Just to be clear, this is not an MSW officially sanctioned selling technique. 😁

and even if i was my Victory is not going to sell more than its kit price

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...

No it is semi scratch....you can buy as much of the laser parts as you want.   You must also buy the wood needed separately....   Either from me or from elsewhere.  Its an a la carte build which in concept was presented this way so folks might be tempted to scratch some parts rather than buy the mini kits which are sold separately.   

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 4:53 PM, Chuck said:

.........This model of Victory with additional cross section...... all cased up sold for just $400.  It is a typical kit model nicely made with sails.  Probably a Mamoli kit maybe.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24092/lot/392/

24686974-25-1.jpg&width=640&height=480&a

Chuck provided a link to Bonhams auction house. They have a presence in NYC and for years they had an annual Nautical auction- I think in the spring- but they have not held the Nautical auction in New York lately, I think the last one was 2016? It would be sad if they have discontinued it but perhaps the market for Nautical stuff has dropped off?

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Some thoughts in this regard..

I'm not sure how to go about approaching them, but I heard there  are companies that provide props for movie sets, and the like.

There are also companies that do staging for real estate sales, leasing and etc..

It seems to me a nice ship model  might fit in with these sorts of businesses.. 

It would be a matter of connecting with someone who knows more about these sort of things..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon