HMS Fly vs HMS Pegasus?

The Fly kit was designed earlier and does not include some details that were incorporated into the Pegasus kit. There is an upgrade kit available for Fly that makes it roughly equivalent in detail.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

57 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Pegasus has a much cooler figurehead!

Isn't this akin to loving one of your children more than another? 🤔

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

9 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Isn't this akin to loving one of your children more than another? 🤔

:) I hate the look of Pegasus, though, I wanted the second planking in a lighter wood, that model is way too dark. If anyone reads this and is thinking of buying one, use a lighter wood for the second planking, it will look so much better.

ETA - I have plans for Atalanta...

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I actually kinda like it with the dark wood 😛

Either are great kits, especially if you upgrade the Fly kit (I went with the Pegasus for the figurehead).  You can get plans for either ship from the NMM if you want to build a more accurate model.  The Pegasus is close to being spot on, but there are a few changes I made to my deck and bitts to conform to the NMM plans.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

:) I hate the look of Pegasus, though, I wanted the second planking in a lighter wood, that model is way too dark. If anyone reads this and is thinking of buying one, use a lighter wood for the second planking, it will look so much better.

ETA - I have plans for Atalanta...

But almost all model kits seem to come with 2nd planking in walnut.  Sometimes kits are marketed in Another Wood than actually provided in the kit which i think is wrong. Many suggest to use boxwood but that is damn difficult to get in hold of.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

8 hours ago, Vane said:

But almost all model kits seem to come with 2nd planking in walnut.  Sometimes kits are marketed in Another Wood than actually provided in the kit which i think is wrong. Many suggest to use boxwood but that is damn difficult to get in hold of.

I didn't actually build a lot of the prototype Pegasus model, the in house Amati modeller did, as I was asked to start another project (and the parts didn't really need checking as the major parts were that of Fly). I was slightly narked with this, as I had earmarked Tanganyika for the hull planking as, at that particular time, Amati had an unusually darker shade of walnut strip stock. Walnut looks good for 16th and 17th Century subjects (or for models that are fully painted, like Victory or Vanguard), but too dark for later periods. But this is just my personal preference. 

As for boxwood, it is simply way too expensive for (relatively) high volume commercial kits.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook