US Brig Syren 1803 by Overworked724 – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64

@CPDDET @Keithbrad80 @WalrusGuy Thanks, guys!  Much appreciated!  It’s not ‘perfect’ and as you can see the hypotenuse (facing edge) is not perfectly edge to edge as there is still some bevel left after sanding...but it’s the closest I could come. 

The jig only took like 5 min to make. 😎

And I can say it works like a charm...about 5 min to make one 24” triangular strip. 👍🏽 

Edited by Overworked724

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

I broke up the waterways into three parts. Stern, midships and bow. I put the butt joints where the sections meet directly beneath the gun ports so they’ll be hidden by the carronade sled swivel brackets.  The bow section of the waterways needed some shaping and a slight twist to get it to fit comfortably. I didn’t go all the way to the stem since I plan to put in a wooden hawshole guide (he said to himself hopefully). 

One bonus is that my measurements were good this time...the carronade swivel brackets all fit (although some by only a hair) as they should and the waterways do not impinge on their alignment level with the gunport sills!  👍🏽 

Will save my staining the deck for tomorrow as a nice ‘attaboy’ gift.

Pics below...

AEE377B3-EF9F-4528-882C-44DA804C3AFC.jpeg.c6f6d85ab199bbb10464aae66eb8a085.jpeg

A484C765-482F-4B43-8236-0D8ACFFBCB55.jpeg.b0f09b2f2c3437b7dc50c57085e7c4cf.jpeg

64762679-1AAC-4CBF-B7C3-4FD334373DDF.jpeg.d58e26451657dd3965937c18f40781e8.jpeg

Moving on...

Edited by Overworked724

I couldn’t help myself.  Decided to see the afterglow of all that work after a coat of natural stain. 

You can see I stayed with one trunnel at the butt joints and on the adjacent boards. Frankly, I could have easily done 2 per board but think it would simply have been overkill. 

I’m not unhappy with my efforts!  Not bad for the slowest Syren build in town. 

:pirate41:

6563086E-6370-4E93-8B47-B14B4FEAC910.jpeg.5aba79ff97a6a9e53cde0706d2297552.jpeg

1110D941-E26E-4D51-B8AC-002FBB2D60D2.jpeg.42cf90640e02b8aa6265b8e1eede2d4a.jpeg

93D5EF75-03B3-4091-8723-8EE5B029D335.thumb.jpeg.bc47e5e6a04c1138e5b1516ed02d2301.jpeg

Moving on....

Edited by Overworked724

The deck came out beautifully Patrick! I was also eagerly waiting for you to apply the finish 😁

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Yeah...hawseholes. They suck. Most of the builds, and the practicum, really don’t go into any detail. The holes just magically appear somewhere in the pics. 

Well...I call BS. This part was what I was dreading. The idea of getting the knees and detail work in on the stem and realize I need to open up four huuuuuge holes in the bulkheads at the deck level...hoping I can do a decent job of it...ugh. 

I marked the holes for the anchor cables on the interior side and opened the guide holes...calculating my angle of attack at 15degrees based upon my rough measurement.  The problem was the exit holes...

AF94A9AC-ECEF-4CB5-8F36-FC9177F9D487.jpeg.ee325042813a485630346716662fca9c.jpeg

Ok. So I got them in...but I got the angles wrong on BOTH sides.  &$@!?!!  I under and over compensated the angle on both sides. I like symmetry...at least I screwed up once on each side!  🤣

CFBA29CC-990F-46F8-95DB-0A2090A054B0.jpeg.05c7a33d2df1edc3d195dc1da8008a0f.jpeg

In the end, these two oopsies are easily masked by the knees. Which is why I wanted to open these holes up now....

And I can patch them easy enough once I’ve opened up the holes, painted, etc. 

Moving on..  

Edited by Overworked724

Thanks for sharing your technique, I recently drilled mine as well and realized there was pretty much no explain other than just drill them. At least you can mask them so that’s not bad, very nice work so far it’s looks great!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

10 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

Yeah...hawseholes. They suck. Most of the builds, and the practicum, really don’t go into any detail. The holes just magically appear somewhere in the pics. 

Well...I call BS. This part was what I was dreading. The idea of getting the knees and detail work in on the stem and realize I need to open up four huuuuuge holes in the bulkheads at the deck level...hoping I can do a decent job of it...ugh. 

I marked the holes for the anchor cables on the interior side and opened the guide holes...calculating my angle of attack at 15degrees based upon my rough measurement.  No trouble here...got a long way to go opening them up and painting/cleaning it up. The problem was the exit holes...

AF94A9AC-ECEF-4CB5-8F36-FC9177F9D487.jpeg.ee325042813a485630346716662fca9c.jpeg

Ok. So I got them in...but I got the angles wrong on BOTH sides.  &$@!?!!  I under and over compensated the angle on both sides. I like symmetry...at least I screwed up once on each side!  🤣

CFBA29CC-990F-46F8-95DB-0A2090A054B0.jpeg.05c7a33d2df1edc3d195dc1da8008a0f.jpeg

In the end, these two oopsIt’s are easily masked by the knees. Which is why I wanted to open these holes up now....

And I can patch them easy enough once I’ve opened up the holes, painted, etc. 

Moving on..  

Yeaup those will be hidden, but I am sure it must have been very annoying and frustrating!!! In my log I went into a bit of details where I drilled pilot holes (very small diameter) on the inside and outside parts of the ship, until they met. Then increased the diameter slowly after 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

16 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

Yeaup those will be hidden, but I am sure it must have been very annoying and frustrating!!! In my log I went into a bit of details where I drilled pilot holes (very small diameter) on the inside and outside parts of the ship, until they met. Then increased the diameter slowly after 

I read your log. LOL. Actually, those little oopsies WERE my guideholes. 😞

Im not very good at measuring apparently. 

Edited by Overworked724

Agreed, thanks for sharing.  This is also another future step that's been occupying my thoughts.   And its true, they do just magically appear!   I was thinking so far to do the same, start small and work up...   Are you planning to line them?

1 minute ago, Justin P. said:

Agreed, thanks for sharing.  This is also another future step that's been occupying my thoughts.   And its true, they do just magically appear!   I was thinking so far to do the same, start small and work up...   Are you planning to line them?

Nope. Following the practicum. Will paint and include the wood veneer once I start building out the stem. 

8 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

I read your log. LOL. Actually, those little oopsies WERE my guideholes. 😞

Im not very good at measuring apparently. 

I think I just got lucky with it. I remember when using the smallest drill bit I almost messed up and had to try drilling a new pathway with a bigger bit. I also remember it was very tricky and scary 😬 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

1 hour ago, WalrusGuy said:

I think I just got lucky with it. I remember when using the smallest drill bit I almost messed up and had to try drilling a new pathway with a bigger bit.  I also remember it was very tricky and scary 😬 

RIght!???  I mean...come ON!  New modelers need to have some idea of next steps after all the hull and deck planking, painting, etc.  Suddenly....here...stop what you’re doing and drill four HUGE holes in the bow of your ship.  Oh...and be symmetrical and don’t screw up. Enjoy your hobby. Peace out! ✌️ 

Really?  😳

When I built my Sultana it was a smaller model and easier to gauge. The Syren is bigger...

Nope...I’ll leave my note for posterity. I made my attempts and still screwed up...I’ll repair (hopefully soon), and move on. And here (above) is what I did...so you can learn from my mistakes. 

Hawseholes should be drilled as you plank the exterior. You can SEE what you are doing. If I knew then what I knew now...as soon as I laid down the wales, I’d drill the exterior holes. Once I laid down the interior bulkhead planks (lower layers at the deck level) I’d take into account the height of the deck/waterways and mark/drill the guide holes for the hawseholes on the interior side. 

Done. 

(I know...painting/etc. later can make predrilled holes difficult to work around. So what?...Tape/etc. deal with it. Better than drilling blind after you’ve done all the detail work on your stem!). 

Edited by Overworked724

1 hour ago, Overworked724 said:

Hawseholes should be drilled as you plank the exterior. You can SEE what you are doing. If I knew then what I knew now...as soon as I laid down the wales, I’d drill the exterior holes. Once I laid down the interior bulkhead planks (lower layers at the deck level) I’d take into account the height of the deck/waterways and mark/drill the guide holes for the hawseholes on the interior side. 

Taking mental notes. I know I'll be using this technique in the future!! Thanks! 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

40 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

RIght!???  I mean...come ON!  New modelers need to have some idea of next steps after all the hull and deck planking, painting, etc.  Suddenly....here...stop what you’re doing and drill four HUGE holes in the bow of your ship.  Oh...and be symmetrical and don’t screw up. Enjoy your hobby. Peace out! ✌️ 

Really?  😳

My thought is a jig like this:

image.png.4480a7bcbeffda4724df1fe322597e62.png 

You use the pin to hold the location on one side then locate and drill the hole using the pin vise on the other side. I think I'd initially put tape on the pin side and measure and mark the position. The drill side I'd just eyeball.

I really like making jigs. If it wasn't so cold in my garage, I'd be tempted to go make one. I'll need hawse holes at some time in the future.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

32 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

I was using a block as a drilling guide with a hole set at a specific angle. 

Correction...3 blocks!  2 were wrong angle. 😳

Everything would be much so easier but a lot less exciting if all ships were brick shaped.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

3 hours ago, RichardG said:

Everything would be much so easier but a lot less exciting if all ships were brick shaped.

🤣 But planking would be SO much easier!!

Widening out the hawseholes...used cedar treenails to fill in the ‘oopsie’ guide holes on both sides. Put a touch of filler on the starboard side hole in the wale and sanded...easy touch up later when I paint the holes. 

9B8D2B57-2197-4A4C-BDBB-39CD3D518FC8.jpeg.1d966b657775efcad83a977e02cdf8c9.jpeg

641ED040-2BFA-48E7-8D7E-9E17AE2AFAFE.jpeg.abb21314754a22de93ca64a752a8845d.jpeg

Made double certain that the anchor cables (0.062” Syren rope) fits through all 4 holes. 

B3B6E9EA-4C7C-4B75-B808-160197519803.jpeg.07e4813ff0b99d2cefb891e0a5ec985c.jpeg

With the deck furnishings, bowsprit, etc. I’ll be surprised if the interior hawsehole details will even be noticed...but they turned out ok. I overestimated the height above the deck for sure...I think I was too afraid of scratching or roughing up my newly laid deck!  ☺️

15A95FB7-E5E8-4B64-9C8D-13E3C1CF175F.jpeg.fb09ebc1beee93e26162a8a20abdab2a.jpeg

Glad to check this chore off the list. 😎

Moving on...

Edited by Overworked724

Awesome job! 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Nice recovery.   Looks really great, and fun to see that rope run through.   Its really coming alive.

@CPDDET @Justin P. @Keithbrad80 @Matt D @WalrusGuy  Guys, thanks for the uplifting words! It always helps to hear after a minor bout of frustration. 🤣

Nice rebound on fixing the hawes holes. I had a difficult time with this task too. I'm glad you checked that the 0.062” cables will pass. I didn't check mine and, consequently, had to ream the holes. In the process of doing that I damaged the hawes hole guides and had to re-do them. It's a learning process. Your ship looks great.

Steven E. Sylven

10 hours ago, abelson said:

Nice rebound on fixing the hawes holes. I had a difficult time with this task too. I'm glad you checked that the 0.062” cables will pass.

Thanks, Abe. Actually your build was in the back of my mind as I was widening the holes. 👍🏽 

Before I painted and touched up the hawseholes, I was trying to figure how best to shore up the garish view of the naked holes inboard. 

I know this can’t be historically accurate, but I opted to create a couple of fashion pieces from some scrap boxwood to border the entire hawseholes, rather than just the underside of them...

Here is what I came up with...not yet stained/glued in...but passable. Interested in other opinions here...

BEB74F0D-6D89-4D2B-8392-115A7BAA431B.jpeg.fc5acb5d60a32fc5782d332b96069a8d.jpeg

4D63158E-9A35-4E3C-A672-049187782DD7.jpeg.5ff8f24bb9a218903477cb2fd62cdbeb.jpeg

Just shooting from the hip on this one...

On 2/10/2021 at 7:33 PM, RichardG said:

My thought is a jig like this:

image.png.4480a7bcbeffda4724df1fe322597e62.png 

By the way...I think that is a good concept. 👍🏽