Continental Galley Washington by IrishChick

My plans and wood have arrived!  I have to be out of town for a few days, but, upon my return, I will begin my build board.  I'm excited to get started but a bit anxious as well.  This is a long ways out of my comfort zone but something I have always wanted to do.  I'm looking forward to the journey 😊

Continental Galley Washington.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have begun my build board 😊 So far, the diagram is only taped to the board as I am unsure how to properly affix it.  Also, I used a pine board which I sanded and I think it is smooth enough, however, I fear it may be a bit too soft.  The frame underneath the build board is certainly nothing to write home about.  All of my previous carving has been done with hand tools so the skill saw is very intimidating 😨.  At any rate, it begins😊 The ship's cat has also made her presence known😺

IMG_20190908_142008751.jpg

IMG_20190908_142931503.jpg

IMG_20190908_144753635.jpg

IMG_20190908_162335718.jpg

IMG_20190908_162345912.jpg

Ship's cat.jpg

I glued the template to the build board a couple of days ago and today decided to set the alignment pins.  The first one went smooth as glass and the second one did not.  I filled the misaligned and much too big hole with glue and will see what tomorrow brings.  😊  I'm sure the size is correct as they are less than a quarter inch as the instructions stipulate but I am concerned that they are loose and easy to remove.  We are having some significant humidity here in Minnesota and I'm afraid of warping in the wood I'm using.  My work space is in the basement and I do have a dehumidifier going.  I am considering bringing everything upstairs but the ship's cat is a curious sort and not to be completely trusted. 😉  I'm almost considering storing the wood in the freezer but I'm afraid of the condensation that forms when I take it out of the freezer.  I left some of the tape on the template which came in handy for storing the unplaced alignment pin.  I was hoping for more significant progress but it is what it is.  It's all good 😊  I'm going to get a smaller hammer!

IMG_20190917_184927667.jpg

IMG_20190917_184932225.jpg

IMG_20190917_184942148.jpg

IMG_20190917_184952572.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've had an extended absence due to the death of my father.  Not a pencil mark was made nor was a single notch carved.  In fact, due to some significant humidity issues, it looks like I will be beginning again.  I'm hoping to salvage the build board, it doesn't look warped so I'm hoping a little sanding and I will be good to go.  Windchills are -30 and calving season is still a few weeks away so no excuses, right? 😉

IMG_20200119_143804655 - Copy.jpg

I'm sorry to read of  your loss. My condolences.

What did you use to secure the paper pattern to the board with? And, speaking of the board, you might find MDF more stable.It is not liable to warp or change dimension. Your plank will expand and contract across the grain considerable with humidity changes. This may account for the wrinkling across your pattern.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you for your reply. I used plain old Elmer's glue and I was rather sparing with the glue to prevent the paper from moving off the alignment marks. You know what I mean when you use too much glue and the paper moves a little? I wanted to avoid that.  I do have a humidity problem just being in Minnesota and then my work space is in the basement but I do have a dehumidifier going all the time.  At the risk of appearing ignorant, what is MDF? I am using a pine board right now as it is most readily available.  Thanks for your advice!

I'm sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.   

Rubber cement, IMHO, is the best glue for paper to wood.  MDF is available at most home improvement shops like Home Depot or Lowes.   They will also cut a piece to size for you.  Take the plan and roll it up but not tightly.  Spread the rubber cement on the wood and roll the paper onto it like you'd roll a pie crust into the pie pan.  Burnish the paper as you roll it on the MDF.  Someone else might have a better way, but that's way I do it.    Now that I think about, next time I'll try using a rolling pin to put the paper on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Home centers sell shelving material made from MDF with a covering of melamine type plastic.  Cheap and comes in various widths so you only need to shorten the piece - most home centers will cut it for you for a very nominal charge.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 3 months later...

Hey, I'm hoping you'll be continuing your build soon. I am considering getting these plans as well. It looks like a nice ship to build.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute