Dust port - hoover connector

I have a nice Byrnes table saw but have not managed to find (yet) a connector that will allow my festool dust extractor (CTM) 35mmh to connect efficiently to the U.S dust port.  (38mm interior hole?). So the hoover is loose and thus with a gap the air pressure is lessened so loosening the effectiveness.

In the past I have used masking tape etc to try to seal it better and have also tried some uni-size adapters which have universally failed to work so far.

So this is just to see if anyone knows of a decent connector I can look to purchase that will make a better join/seal..

I found a piece of brass tube whose outside diameter fitted the dust port (I had to flare the end out slightly for a tight fit) and the other end fits the hose of my shop vacuum. Works well.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I found this in the local hardware store for AUD $9.98. It’s a reasonably soft rubber and you just cut the section to fit both the dust post on the saw and the vaccum hose. I use a Festool CTL 26 and it works like a charm.

B7D06EBF-435A-4909-9632-E15C876CCB9D.thumb.png.64d695391e3cbf617175db918a92085e.png

This is the adapter that I use.  It can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot for under $10.00.  I cut off the large end (right side in picture) flush with the flange and insert it into my dust port on my Byrnes Saw.  It makes a tight fit.

664070060_ShopVacUniversalAdapter.jpg.3bc13959e7276682768d157fd12d42b2.jpg

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I have had good results using the rubber plumbing connectors shown below to adapt different diameters to my vacuum cleaner 

018578000476lg.jpg.5571b37f29efeb73dd30610a578ea667.jpg018578000407lg.jpg.c522da771aa0290a0954c7045af43a08.jpg

Lots of good options in the above posts. For some reason, "Murphy's Law," perhaps, the shop vac hoses never fit the connectors you want to attach them to. It doesn't matter which or how. My Byrnes tools owrk great with a piece of plastic pipe connector fitting sanded down a slight bit on the outside lip. That just happened to be luck. As with many other such problems, duct tape is a quick and effective, if inelegant, solution.

File this one under "there oughta be a law" that all vacuum hoses must be of standardized sizes suitable for use with standardized adapters, both metric and Imperial.j 

For a simple and inexpensive solution to this problem that will work with any size or shape of connection, try this.

100_5741.thumb.JPG.6c743a21ff91c882f8b7eca298a99147.JPG

It consists of two scrap pieces of softwood with a hole for the hose in one piece and another piece with a hole sized for the tool.  Once cut, you simply glue them together as shown.  Now all you need to do is slip the fitting over the tool port and then insert your hose into the other.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.