H.M.S. Badger Kit by Caldercraft

AndyXO

If you do a quick search on Badger you will find many build logs of this kit to get more information and answer your question.  Similarly there are many many build logs of other Caldercraft kits to read through.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

This was the first model I built (you can see my log linked below).  I highly recommend it - very well done, great instruction manual, great Caldercraft quality, etc.  The only quibble I had is that some of the thin walnut sheets were kinda crumbly in places, maybe that's been fixed, but nothing that filler and paint can't fix.  When I was looking at possible first models, I wanted to build something interesting that was more complicated than a weekend-type model, yet not too complicated.  The Badger and the Armed Virginia Sloop were great candidates at the time.  There are a lot of new kits on the market with improved instructions, building methods, etc., so hopefully folks with knowledge of them can send you additional recommendations.

Other than that, if you buy the kit, I would consider building in a different order.  For me, I think adding the cannons so early on ended up causing me a lot of grief because I kept busting them off when trying to add the rails and other external hull details.  That could just be my building style as I typically build in my lap more than I should.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Here is a quick link for you..    Look down the list for Badger builds...

Build Log Index For Wooden ships..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I haven’t built any Caldercraft kits but I’ve heard good things about them.

A brig is a good starting point if you are new to the hobby.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Caldercraft kits are well-regarded for quality. I built their Sherbourne kit and thoroughly enjoyed it. The issue with crumbly plywood mentioned above is not unique to Caldercraft. I had the same issue with some plywood parts from Amati, but was able to work around them. It's a not readily visible problem that is easy for the QC people to miss.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I'll second the positive comments about the Badger.  It was my second wooden build and took me about 18 months (I am a SLOOOOOOWW builder) and I love the way it looks.  It gives a great impression of complexity once it's finished and rigged but it's a straightforward build.  Mike's comments about leaving the cannons off until later are a good idea.  I only knocked two loose during the build but it was still aggravating. 

As far as material quality went my walnut and plywood were ok but the decking material, tanganyika I think, looked like it had been ripped down by beavers with dull teeth.  Still I managed to use it and it ended up looking fine.  Just involved more prep work and careful attention to which side I was going to use.  

All in all a great kit that has gotten a lot of compliments over the years.

• 8 months later...

I have been working on building the HM Brig Badger by Caldercraft for sometime now and was looking back at the helpful a number of you made last year prior to my purchase of the kit.

One comment was to delay putting in the cannons until "later."   I would greatly appreciate any specific thoughts folks have on when "later" should be.  Thanks  much   

I have not built the Badger but looking at the US Brig Syren's instructions (can be found on the ModelExpo website) I would think that the cannons can be installed after detailing the hull and the inboard bulwarks. 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

14 hours ago, AndyXO said:

cannons until "later."

Not sure what later is either - I'd put them in sooner by my work process.  Most deck furniture runs down the center, to me, other than hatches, its easier to put the cannons in and then the deck furniture - but either way they should go in before you start on the masts  The hull should be completely finished before masting and rigging begins.

It also might depend on how far you plan to go with the rigging of the cannons. Fully rigged could wait until balance of deck work is done, only the breaching rope can be done at any point t once the deck and hatches are in.

I've built Granado, part of the Badger family. Caldercraft, because they were designed by @Chris Watten , used to be my favorite brand along with Amati, many also Chris Watten designs.  Now Chris has his own company, Vanguard Models. Speedy and Alert are already out and more are coming. I'd highly recommend you go there for your next model. His designs, materials (all pear wood) and instructions are second to none.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose