I am wanting to scratch build a pinnace and longboat for my Pegasus. 

I like the Pinnace from Model Shipways that Blue Ensign built for his Pegasus and would like to make one myself along with a Model Shipways longboat (both a a reduced scale).

The question I have is: is it possible to purchase just the plans for them? as i will need to reduce the scale to suit Pegasus.

Thanks Guys

Caroline

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

The AOTS Diana book has plans for all the boats that you could copy and change to the scale you need

Regards 

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Caroline

Assuming you are building the 16 gun sloop of Pegasus 1776, according to what I can find in W.E. May's Boats of War, she would have carried a 19 foot longboat and 26 foot pinnace, although in 1777, 16's of more than 300 tons were given an extra 18 foot four oared cutter.  Does this sound right for your model?   Please keep in mind that you cannot necessarily just change the scale of a drawing to the size  that you need without making alterations.  For example, if the drawing you use is a 28 foot 16 oared longboat, when scaling to a 19 foot long boat, the number or size of the benches. number of oars, and other parts are not necessarily to be scaled.  Even the shape is likely to be wrong when just scaling as the proportions of breadth to length vary for shorter or longer boats.  For example, the proportion of length to breadth of a 32 long boat of about 1800 is 3.36 while for a 19 foot long boat the proportion is only 2.68.   They are similar but slightly larger proportions given in Mays for 1745 as well, 3.45 for a 32' long boat for example. 

Cheers

Allan     

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks for the replies guys. I have some plans now. 

6 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Caroline

Assuming you are building the 16 gun sloop of Pegasus 1776, according to what I can find in W.E. May's Boats of War, she would have carried a 19 foot longboat and 26 foot pinnace, although in 1777, 16's of more than 300 tons were given an extra 18 foot four oared cutter.  Does this sound right for your model?   Please keep in mind that you cannot necessarily just change the scale of a drawing to the size  that you need without making alterations.  For example, if the drawing you use is a 28 foot 16 oared longboat, when scaling to a 19 foot long boat, the number or size of the benches. number of oars, and other parts are not necessarily to be scaled.  Even the shape is likely to be wrong when just scaling as the proportions of breadth to length vary for shorter or longer boats.  For example, the proportion of length to breadth of a 32 long boat of about 1800 is 3.36 while for a 19 foot long boat the proportion is only 2.68.   They are similar but slightly larger proportions given in Mays for 1745 as well, 3.45 for a 32' long boat for example. 

Cheers

Allan     

Yes, that is more or less what I am aiming for, a 19 Foot longboat and 25 foot pinnace. Just need to get started now!

Look on the site:

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!cbrowse

then search '26 foot pinnace plan' and '19 foot longboat plan'.

You can download the plan, then re-size it using the scale on the plan to fit your scale.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 10/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, druxey said:

Look on the site:

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!cbrowse

then search '26 foot pinnace plan' and '19 foot longboat plan'.

You can download the plan, then re-size it using the scale on the plan to fit your scale.

Thanks Druxey, I will bookmark that site.

good morning Druxey

I picked your link, copy and pasted each search and hit enter and got nothing.

There must be an extra step.

help?

Alan

RMG- NMM search.JPG

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Same problem.  However, simply typing pinnace, the first item is a 28 ft. pinnace and by typing longboat, a 20 ft. longboat is halfway down the page.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

This should narrow it down a bit:

Pinnace plans

If you don't type in a precise match, you can get a lot of extra clutter or nothing at all..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

ah

it works

also seems you shouldn't copy and paste 

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)