USS Constitution by EricWilliamMarshall - FINISHED - Revell - 1:196 - PLASTIC

Actually, I only still have the original plans and the wrecked ship - I obtained the box from a friend who found it at a yard sale years ago. When I first saw it, the box art took me

right back to those early days when I built the model...a nice feeling. Glad y'all like it!

I’m having a problem others don’t seem to have - the strings untie.

I’m using the supplied string that came with the kit. So after a dozen hours of spent on the rigging, I now have only three pieces of thread still attached. It seems to work if the strings are draping - no problem, but even slight jostling (i.e. adding another thread to the same mast), the string unties.

Does every knot need to be super-glued? The knots hold if I use yarn but the yarn is too big.

It seems I’m missing some fundamental; any thoughts from the veterans here?

Eric, try using a little white glue, diluted slightly with water, and allow it to soak into the knot; let it dry thoroughly before putting any tension on the knot. Fabric stores sell a glue specifically for this purpose, but I don't remember what it's called.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

1 hour ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

I noticed in the background of post #22, the Cutty Sark, future build?

Why yes!! SEZ has eagle eyes (and there is a lot to look at in my mess!) It is also part of my baby steps into 'real rigging' (for ship models at least). It is tiny though; the hull is three or four inches long! To use the local parlance, I have a small 'stash' I've collected over the years, waiting until 'I know what I'm doing'. There is a bigger plastic model and a four small wood kits - my father was a woodworker and some are gifts. I have had two of those kits for thirty years. I recently, um, stop waiting until I know what I'm doing and instead have plunged in.

And you kind folks get to watch me swerve and fish-tail as I figure it out! (Apologies for the mixed metaphors.)  There will be a similar frenzy over woodworking at a tiny scale, if I make that far. :)

So the grand plan, such that it is, flail on the simple kits then complex. I'm all curious if I have the patience/stubbornness to finish one or more. Many of the build-logs here are unfinished, so I assume a percentage of folks give up and move on to something else. 

After a bit of experimenting and suffering, I ditched the kit’s very slippery string for some regular polyester black thread. The string provided with the kit would untie itself if the masts were slightly nudged, even if glued. Bleck!

The regular thread is also less ‘fiddlely’ and less hard to work with. So I was able I was able to get more done than I expected in my last session - always a pleasant surprise.

88AD0F14-3A47-4FEB-BB1D-AB067D185F0F.jpeg

E991E54D-8395-44DB-B515-F6BFA1BF790B.jpeg

A couple thoughts about the kit for those who might work on this kit:

1) secure the guns on the lower deck - I left the transom off, to put guns in back in.

2) the pieces labeled deadeyes and channels (parts 75 and 76 for example) have pins which are about as big as the ejector flash; it is easy to clip off the wrong bit. The channels/ deadeyes assembles need to stand proud of the hull otherwise knots can’t be tied later the assembly. It is a bit counter-intuitive since this is a bit finicky and flimsy. They only attach at the bottom and via the pins. The need to be fairly secure since the rigging will tied to them to the top of them.

3) the ratlines need to be aligned with the deadeyes. The ratlines are slightly problematic. Look at the instructions regarding the riggings starting at step 19 to see how the alignment of the ratlines and deadeyes interact with rigging. There is a lot flash and two little tabs at the bottom of ratlines. The tabs align the ratlines on the deadeyes- the whole setup is very flimsy and easy to pop apart.

4) I found the thread in the box hard to work with and suggest replacing it with any other thread!

5) the yards don’t need to be attached until step 21 instead step 10 as in the instructions. The are easy to pop off in handling the model when rigging.

6) the top of the ratlines don’t align well with the masts. But they don’t have to as long as the bottoms are secure.

7) the box top image does not match the model, nor do the photographs on the box match the instructions’ paint scheme or rigging.

8 ) there is rigging illustrated in the instructions that is not described, just shows up in the background of other steps, suggesting a missing step or two.

9) the simple rigging instructions is the only place where the sails are identified by part number (or letter, in this case); this may be a bit of surprise when you get to the installation of the sails in the advanced instructions and there is simply one image of all the sails attached! 

Edited by EricWilliamMarshall
Added to the list

I’m calling it done! It was was finished but it fell while trying photograph (ouch) and when I’m back to the ‘workshop’, I’ll fix the damage and create a better base. Again my thanks to everyone who stopped by and peeked in or shared sometime and wisdom. The next stop will be something wooden but small and simple.

BA299379-6D9F-43B7-AEE1-2B1C1EA55040.jpeg

140AF102-57D6-45CB-A8AE-4F138CCEB34C.jpeg

2E710FDA-0160-4F5C-B653-2BFB4BA209B2.jpeg

44D87964-B0EE-4FFB-92B1-F417009E88C1.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words! Given my readings in the forums, I’m going try a Midwest kit. Something simple and easy to complete, that will work as my introduction to wood. I’m open to suggestions. :)

over sight

IMHO, the Midwest flattie kit is about as fool-proof as a novice-level kit can get, but all Midwest kits are good bets. I think that the kits being offered by Chesapeake Light Craft these days are helping to fill in the void created when Midwest stopped making their boat kits (still plenty on eBay though); CLC kits can be seen here. The only thing to beware of with CLC is that the finished models are somewhat on the large size. The longboat kit from Syren has been very popular of late as well -- lots of build logs for it available here on the forum.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

My thanks to the moderator(s) - I literally just finished tracking down how to rename a finished build log, and it was already done for me!!

rkwz, I have to say folks here have been every so kind and sharing (I asked couple of questions about knots and stripe painting, as well). I am shocked and astonished by the quick and thoughtful responses. I’m glad to know there such people out there, who love this craft enough to share with folks like us.

It bodes well well for the hobby and for the hard won skills found at this site. I think there is a nice side-effect; this sharing of techniques and approaches raises the skills of the entire community; part by the awareness and sharing of the various approaches and part by the reflection and communication needed to actively engage.

Good stuff (plus all the eye candy!)