The Peterboro Canoe by Duanelaker - FINISHED - Midwest Products - 1:12

On 2/29/2020 at 9:24 PM, Cajun_Pirogue said:

Anyone use boiled linseed oil? 

I have some in my cabinet, I think I bought some before because someone had used it.  What’s the benefit of it?  Do you put anything over it?

Just went through your log Dave... Wow!  You did a fantastic job.  What a nice little introduction to the mysterious art of planking.  I am also intimidated by that and am working through a few of the Midwest small boat kits as a way to build some of the skills I will need to tackle a full on 2 or 3 masted tall ship model.

Anyway, congrats on this little beauty.  She is going to be a fantastic display model. 

Current Build: Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products

9 hours ago, Duanelaker said:

I have some in my cabinet, I think I bought some before because someone had used it.  What’s the benefit of it?  Do you put anything over it?

Not sure with modeling, but I’ve used it with wooden projects to bring out the grains and colors in the wood. I have found though that some woods it looked great and others not so much. My plan was to try a scrap piece to test, but was curious if anyone had tried it. I never put anything over it. 
On a side note, I have used matte poly often and have been satisfied with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you decide how you want to finish your canoe? I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Did you decide how you want to finish your canoe? I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Not yet... out of all tasks, I feel like painting and staining takes the most motivation for me.  Even though I find when I do it, I over thought and it was simple and quick.  My concern at this point is how am I going to stain, etc., the inside with so many surfaces.  Where as the exterior is a smooth surface.  I’m hoping Art finishes his and I see what he does 😝

Edited by Duanelaker

48 minutes ago, Duanelaker said:

Not yet... out of all tasks, I feel like painting and staining takes the most motivation for me.  Even though I find when I do it, I over thought and it was simple and quick.  My concern at this point is how am I going to stain, etc., the inside with so many surfaces.  Where as the exterior is a smooth surface.  I’m hoping Art finishes his and I see what he does 😝

I just did some minor clean up and sanding in the interior of my Indian Girl and then gave it of couple of coats of Wipe-on-Poly and I thought it looked great...easy peasy. Painting the exterior was another story but I eventually got it to the point that I was really happy with it. Go for it!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, Duanelaker said:

I’m hoping Art finishes his and I see what he does 😝

Oh No! You started first you have to "finish" first.

I am just going to clear coat mine. Not sure if it will be Wipe on Poly or I might give Tung oil a try I have never used it before.

2 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Oh No! You started first you have to "finish" first.

I am just going to clear coat mine. Not sure if it will be Wipe on Poly or I might give Tung oil a try I have never used it before.

You know you are correct...I’ll hopefully find some time this week and do something!

• 2 weeks later...

Still debating on how to finish this canoe...after looking at all the online pictures I feel like I should try and stain it a cedar like color... I’m torn as to what direction I should go.

CB904D7A-ED44-48D7-A21E-E783FCAD4F0C.thumb.jpeg.b0402bbfe781e730a25ea4c530f078ed.jpegF0A07BFE-690A-4A5E-A02B-F6DBD9147974.thumb.jpeg.49e6e5e50cac2450e45a90a13d0c7b07.jpeg82680C5C-8C57-449D-9C11-F87F106C54C7.thumb.jpeg.bdc49d2c4e62998c372bb01c03009314.jpegDDC155E2-E4FA-4388-ACB9-A0C0EAEFC52F.thumb.jpeg.e8270a50fa0715fe7d917c68ecc4c1e0.jpeg

i feel like it’s lighter then the picture shows... 

• 10 months later...

Hey David, I noticed that you have your canoe listed in your completed builds. Do you have any photos of the finished model?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

11 hours ago, BobG said:

Hey David, I noticed that you have your canoe listed in your completed builds. Do you have any photos of the finished model?

Hello Bob, It sits as it did on Post #84.  I haven't put any finish on it out of fear it would not look as nice.  I do have another Peterboro that I was thinking about doing as a side project.  I have also recently finished planking on an 18th century long boat as well as getting ready to do a model shipways blue nose.    

I should make plans to get back to this and create a display stand of some sort....so many models....so little time.

1 hour ago, Duanelaker said:

I should make plans to get back to this and create a display stand of some sort....so many models....so little time.

She's a beautiful canoe and would look even better with some finish on the bare wood....maybe just some Wipe-on-Poly.  That's all I did to the interior of my canoe and it gave it a nice warm glow. I also know all too well about "so many models and so little time." 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dave

I am just now looking at you your post , fantastic job. I am thinking of making one from scratch using your info it is very good. Would you believe I actually had one of these canoes many years ago and it looked exactly like yours. it was canvas covered and painted red. The canvas was in bad shape so I decided to remove it. under the canvas was a brass or copper plate that read Peterborough Canoe Company spelled the canadian way!

These kits cost an arm and a leg in Canada with the change in money plus shipping I have built a similar kit before so I think I can do it

Would it be possible to send me the actual dimensions of the the mold pieces I am having a big problem trying to get them off your post diagrams.

thanks

Brad

47 minutes ago, catman42 said:

anyone know if Widwest Products is still making this kit or others It seems very hard to find and no address for them

thanks

Model Shipways is now producing the Midwest kits. Check their website to see which ones are currently available.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

On 3/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, catman42 said:

anyone know if Widwest Products is still making this kit or others It seems very hard to find and no address for them

thanks

You can often find the original Midwest Products model kits on eBay. The Indian Canoe and the Peterborough Canoe are often for sale.

The Bear Mountain Boat Shop also makes what looks like a very nice 1:12 canoe model: https://www.bearmountainboats.com/products/scale-model-canoe 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 11 months later...

How do you manage to avoid any glue drips or squeeze-out on the inside when you can't access to wipe it off as you can on the outside?  Even with very careful application it's hard to get drop free.  I want to build one and have the wood natural inside and out so hope to avoid CA and over-gluing.