Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig by Egilman - AMT - 1/25th scale - East Bound & Down

Some nice detail there EG   looking forward to seeing more  (I understand  your frustration over getting parts)    I think the world will see a mass of kits made  during this madness.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

hey there........got a couple dolly color schemes for ya.   gray is good overall.......some are even flat black.  you can go nuts with grime and rust.......depending on how old you want the trailer to look.  s-cams,  slack adjusters can also be the dolly color,  but the brake chambers can be any color really....it depends on who made them.   Omni cans are blue......MGM are black.......and some aftermarket cans can be a metallic color.....silver or gold.  the exposed wood between the crossmembers can be painted.......very few are bare.  if there is brake shoes or detail related to them,  you have a choice of colors......Hamden is blue backing w/the leading pad a bluish color.....the trailing pad is gray.  some also are black,  but for the most part,  grime will hide the color.   I mention the leading and trailing pads,  because manufacturers do that so the mechanic will know how the shoe installs.  th funny part of it is.........they only install one way!  just odd trivia,  I know.....but I suppose that there's someone out there that will figure out how to screw that job up  ;) .........someone figured out how to screw up the locking hub nuts......lost a few wheel assemblies there.........:omg:   for the life of me.......I don't know how they did it.   I tried to figure it out.......but with the tabs {new design},  it's virtually impossible to put them in back azz two!

relay and brake valves can be either aluminum or brass color.   optional hoses......normal color........you can get creative and do crossovers for the emergency side.   don't do them for the service side......that's a DOT nono!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 4/2/2020 at 7:24 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Some nice detail there EG   looking forward to seeing more  (I understand  your frustration over getting parts)    I think the world will see a mass of kits made  during this madness.

OC.

Thank you very much OC, I've got parts that have come in from all over the world, Czechoslovakian photo etch, Austrian resin and PE, Australian resin, plastic and metal castings, (in fact my missing parts for the TBS arrived today YAY!) England, 1/25th scale expanded metal and all 18 tires and wheels are aftermarket out of Ohio.... Still waiting on some of the wheels and tires and the resin air horns from Austria. Most of these parts are from one-man specialty shops, so they take your order and you go on the production list and when they are done they are shipped..... could easily take a month to get them and when the occasional mistake happens like with my TBS it can take three months to get what you need... Almost like the aftermarket ship model industry in the beginnings... 

It's a whole lot different today than it was the last time a built a truck model....

Thank you for asking... (and yes I'm sure there are a lot of kits being built at this time of forced inactivity)

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

hey there........got a couple dolly color schemes for ya.   gray is good overall.......some are even flat black.  you can go nuts with grime and rust.......depending on how old you want the trailer to look.  s-cams,  slack adjusters can also be the dolly color,  but the brake chambers can be any color really....it depends on who made them.   Omni cans are blue......MGM are black.......and some aftermarket cans can be a metallic color.....silver or gold.  the exposed wood between the crossmembers can be painted.......very few are bare.  if there is brake shoes or detail related to them,  you have a choice of colors......Hamden is blue backing w/the leading pad a bluish color.....the trailing pad is gray.  some also are black,  but for the most part,  grime will hide the color.   I mention the leading and trailing pads,  because manufacturers do that so the mechanic will know how the shoe installs.  th funny part of it is.........they only install one way!  just odd trivia,  I know.....but I suppose that there's someone out there that will figure out how to screw that job up  ;) .........someone figured out how to screw up the locking hub nuts......lost a few wheel assemblies there.........:omg:   for the life of me.......I don't know how they did it.   I tried to figure it out.......but with the tabs {new design},  it's virtually impossible to put them in back azz two!

relay and brake valves can be either aluminum or brass color.   optional hoses......normal color........you can get creative and do crossovers for the emergency side.   don't do them for the service side......that's a DOT nono!

Hey denis.... Yeah, when I first decided I was going to do this I thought it was going to be easy, just grab a couple of models, a few simple bashes and some paint majic I'll be in like flint.... (so much for that thought)

There is a LOT that can be done with detail painting and weathering and god knows there are trucks that have weathering... but I've stuck myself to a very specific truck/trailer combination..... with loads of visual information to show what it was... And if I'm going to be true to that then there isn't much I can do on the detail side as far as painting, the scheme and course is set.... The truck in the movie was typical road material nothing special, they all went through dealer sales and were typical assembly line items nothing custom at all . (except what they added for the movie which wasn't much aside from paint and a fake reefer)

I've been debating on washing it down with a dirt wash but not much else, the only place I see rust was on Trailer #1 (7 months old) and it was very light spotty stuff Trailer #2 which I'm modeling was fresh off a dealer lot less than two months old, no rust at all.... And the making of shots showed cans the same color as the axles which means they were new enough to not have been replaced yet, Trailer #1 had three different cans on it... two originals (from the grey paint, one blue and one black with bare metal edges...

I may do another truck at some point which I can play with effects on, but this one has a specific look and details which have to be there...... (otherwise the rivet counters, or, more specifically for the truck modeling world, the bolt counters are going to be all over it) 

But I'm going to be laying ambush for them, with every detail added I have movie caps with indexed time and frame #'s showing the detail I'm adding actually on film..... I"ve already had a few comments over the engine from guys that say they just KNOW what engine it had by the sound of it..... (engine is never seen in the movie, in fact I have it from the property masters that the hoods were never raised in the entire production of the movie. even they do not know, nor did they care) so yeah I'm sure being a movie accurate rig, all the "experts" are going to come out of the woodwork on this one, it's also why I'm not doing it in the truck forums.... (although there are some of them, good guys, that know) 

I've set a fairly high bar on this one.... I've had a couple of occasions to wish I hadn't.... (but solutions eventually come forward to the problems) Besides, it caused the wife to pay attention and suggest we get a glass case to put it in when it's done... A small price to pay for perfect storage for my hobby....

And I'm having fun, the wife occasionally asks how's the truck coming and comments that it's going to be beautiful when it's done and such things... Right now all's right with the world....

Thank you for following and all the comments....

EG

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

they are meer suggestions..........possibilities within possibilities ;)   I hear ya on the admiral's views {that's what we call our wives here on the site}  {my wife actually likes it........I also call her my budget director,  which she likes even more :ph34r:}.   I got sworn off of plastic when I built my first wood ship model.......she fell in love with it.  now if I build something in plastic,  I get a lot of grief,  although it has died down some since I started building the bombers :D   as I told her........there are too many really good subjects that are not covered by wood kits.......and I have three or four of them in my stash that are plastic.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 4 weeks later...

Well parts are beginning to arrive......

Decals....

DCP_2462.JPG.326700f8ae02e2986c72c5408b943e38.JPG

Small Tractor Parts....

DCP_2463.JPG.184a9543a4f653034564ad75df656899.JPG

Still patiently waiting on my hubs, wheels and tires for the truck and trailer though.... They will eventually get here, eventually....

EG

Quote:

We are waiting with you EG😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

10 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

We are waiting with you EG😉

Thank you, they say patience is a virtue, well we are being particularly virtuous on this one..... (grrrr........)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Good to see  some of your bits are arriving mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

you got both sides........was there one for the doors?   good to see some headway her ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

you got both sides........was there one for the doors?   good to see some headway her ;) 

Both sides check....

Doors? Nope, the doors in the movie are just plain gloss black....

Quote:

• 3 weeks later...

Well brothers and sisters, it has been a while here, but I just got notice from the post office that my trailer wheels and tires from Mo'Luminum are in the mail with tracking number!!!!! FINALLY!!!!! God they were ordered and paid for way back on March 11th... Gorgeous parts but they can take a long time... I was told that the first shipping got lost somewhere. (I think that my order got lost somewhere in that black hole between casting and shipping)

But anyway they are now being on the road!!!! I'm going to be a busy guy soon....  😂

Quote:

On 5/12/2020 at 5:54 AM, kpnuts said:

There is some serious modelling going on here.

Well thank you for that sir, sorry for the late acknowledgment of the wonderful compliment but I kinda have let this one stew while the shipping problem got ironed out...

Seeing your work, it is a serious compliment sincerely appreciated.... (said while frantically stuffing unjustified ego back into it's container)

Thank you....

Quote:

And another present in the mail today.....

DCP_2540.JPG.90fe19bf4366659ff7ec377457de2e99.JPG

The rest of my truck parts.... the Tires and hubs for the trailer, the hubs for the tractor, gladhands and diamond plate.....

So I'm pretty well set to continue my Bandit build as well.......

EG

Quote:

You will be "cooking on gas"  my friend  - hope you have enough hands.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You will be "cooking on gas"  my friend  - hope you have enough hands.

OC.

Been cookin long enough to know you only handle one boiling pot at a time.....

Quote:

good to hear you finally got your parts :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Be good to see this on the road again🙄(sorry bad intended pun)

I'll get my coat😬

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

On 6/6/2020 at 2:24 PM, Edwardkenway said:

Be good to see this on the road again🙄(sorry bad intended pun)

I'll get my coat😬

Yeah brother!!!

Bluejay four shouldn't take that long once I get past the cockpit.... just a little longer my friend... (I'm with Willie... "On the road again...... can't wait to get on the road again.....")

Quote:

• 1 month later...

Well, I'll be starting this one back up in the near future...

Got to get a little organizing done over the next few days.... 

EG

Quote:

🎼🎵on the road again 😑

Sorry 

I'll get my coat 

Current builds;

Completed:

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to watching this one EG 👍

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

14 hours ago, MadDogMcQ said:

Looking forward to watching this one EG 👍

Welcome aboard Tom! Glad to have you...

And for everyone I haven't forgot this one... I've just been dealing with some real life again, seems like it's coming at faster and faster intervals nowadays....

Quote:

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi,

Congrats on the great build progress. I am re-lighting my fire for scale model cars n trucks after not building for approx 20 years. I’m collecting kits and parts for a series of movie replicas, one of which being snowman’s Kenworth.

would you mind sharing the supplier, part no’s etc for the wheels and tyres, I have browsed a number of sites but unable to identify the correct sizes.

Good luck with the build.

Yan.

Hi Yan,

Thanks for the interest.. (and the reminder)

It's going to take a bit of time to drag everything out and go over it... I haven't forgotten this one... I'm currently doing my H-13 dual build and will be open to restarting another when that is done... At that point I will list the what's and where's I have made to bring this into line with the real deal... It kinda got side tracked in shipping limbo and that was before they shut down the shipping due to covid..... Shipping is probably a lot worse now.... (Austria is still blocked for shipping to the US from most locations there)

There's a good chance I will pick this one back up when done with the H-13's, Bluejay Four is a complete restart so that can wait... It's been sitting for almost a year and a half now.... Time to get her on the road....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

FYI..........OMK had the trailer for the Bandit II movie....been there for a while now.  I was tempted,  but the admiral put the Ka-boch on it....so I guess that's leaves me out :D   they also have the Budweiser tractor and trailer kit....but they want over $200.00...definite NO in her book :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

13 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

they also have the Budweiser tractor and trailer kit....but they want over $200.00...definite NO in her book :( 

That would be a no in my book as well, the 352 Cabover pete can be had for under 50.00 and the 40' fruehof trailer is common... $120.00 for a set of ancient probably unusable Budweiser decals?You can build the artwork and have them printed for less than 120.00

Edited by Egilman

Quote: