New menber

j.guydal

Hello to you, model-making friends from across the Atlantic. I am French, Breton and visit this very interesting forum from time to time. A difficulty all the same, remains the language barrier, my English being very approximate. Fortunately, I am using a translator here to avoid gross errors. Lovers of old navy from the golden age: 1750-1850, this forum brings more to this passion.
My particular attention at the moment leads me to follow the construction of the frigate Belle-Poule by Mr. Taylor. And for good reason, I too have this work in progress and I take pleasure in seeing another method with new ideas. For those who would like to follow my work, it is possible at this address:

https://5500.forumactif.org/t3216-la-belle-poule-de-1765-au-1-48-par-guydal

This frigate is very famous for the combat of June 18, 1778 against the English frigate Arethus, and which was the beginnings of the American war of independence.

I am not really sure to understand everything about the functioning of this forum, to know how to post in the right place and I hope not to make any mistake. Thank you for your understanding.

We live in an era where the internet provides us with the ease of communication that we could not have imagined 20 years ago.

Thank you for reading. J. Guydal.

Bienvenu Jacques! Votre maquette est déjà belle.

Go to the page "Build logs for SCRATCH SHIP MODEL PROJECTS"  and follow the instructions at the top of the page to start your build log.

I look forward to seeing your log on our forum. We have many members who use a translator to post on their logs. Feel free to ask questions. The members are very helpful.

Steven

This site is very similar in functioning to  Marine et Modélisme d'Arsenal, so you only have to follow the same procedures.

You are certainly making a beautiful model, but I think you'll reach more people if you start a build log here following the advice given in the section 'Questions/instructions on how to use and post to this forum/Site Problems or suggestions'. You've gone a long way already, so it will be hard work to translate all the early stages of your build and post them here, but you could just post the pictures with a word of explanation at crucial stages.

It is always nice to see examples of good craftmanship, but what really interests a lot of members of this site (especially those of us who are just starting building from plans) is not just the pretty pictures, but discussions (a) of methods and techniques used, (b) problems encountered and how to overcome them, (c) discussions of matters of historical interest, particularly if you choose to modify the plans or suggestions of the monograph.

You have already raised many issues on the French site with your discussions with other members (e.g. the cuts you made in the gunwale for the shrouds and the alignment of the gunports, or the discussion about the 3D modelling of the prow), and the various suggestions that have been made, so it may be worthwhile to bring some of those discussions to this site as they are interesting and will help others avoid making mistakes.

There are quite a few modellers who use this site who are not familiar with French, and in particular the detailed names of parts that are not available in modern French dictionaries, so translation would be very important if you'd like your work to be more fully appreciated - even though it is clear that a lot of work would be needed to do this.

Amicalement,

Tony

Hello Jacques.  Welcome to MSW.   I know of your log very well as I'm following it quietly since I'm not a member there.  You're doing a beautiful build and I'm learning much from you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Jacques, I look forward to seeing you here.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Jacques, here is a French-English "Dictionnaire des Termes de Marine" which I have found very useful with translations.

https://archive.org/details/dictionnairedes00tiregoog/page/n4/mode/2up

I know automatic translations can sometimes be very wrong, particularly with maritime terms - for example the French term "cap de mouton" becomes a "deadeye" in English (because the holes look like the eyes of a skull).

I hope this helps.

Steven

Hello to you,

thank you for the welcome you give me on this forum.

I gradually discover a world of enthusiasts with a broader horizon than I imagined.

I note the link to the very interesting dictionary which deals with marine terms.

This forum brings to my passion for model making more desire to communicate.

Bonjour à vous,

je vous remercie de l'accueil que vous me faites sur ce forum.

Je découvre peu à peu un monde de passionnés à l'horizon plus large que je ne me l'imaginais.

je note le lien vers le dictionnaire très intéressant qui traite des termes de marine.

Ce forum apporte à ma passion pour le modélisme  plus d'envie de communiquer.

Beautiful model.

Welcome to MSW

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There are several late 18th and early 19th century French-English and English-French vocabularies, glossaries and treatises on naval architecture from French and English Authors available on the web for free download, mostly via Google Books. These are all in pdf format and of course have the typography and spelling of the time, along with some variable quality of photocopying. The ones I have used most for translation work are

1. Dictionnaire de la Marine Anglaise by ROMME 1804
  2. Vocabulaire des termes de marine anglais et francais, (mostly parts 2-3) by LESCALLIER 1797
  3. William Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine with French-English Dictionary Annex 1780 (also available for searching online at http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/contents.html)

There is also the excellent printed book from ANCRE publications 'Vocabulaire de Marine Bilingue Anglais-Français' by David Roberts for €38 which provides direct translations, although without any of the discussion or description that the other old dictionaries have.

Then there are the fully searchable technical dictionaries such as TechDico, the Centre National de Ressources Textuelles et Lexicales

Finally there's the semi-technical Tureng, in addition to the variety of bilingual modern dictionaries such as Linguée and SYSTRAN.

I have been developing my  own searchable bilingual English-French dictionary in Word format, but it is not ready for distribution.

Tony

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me