Manitowoc Crane - Restoration

I met with Randy, (I won't post his last name), he is a not too local model builder today to take possession of a Seaspan wood chip barge as well as numerous other items, plans, templates of his past builds. He has retired from the ship modeling hobby and the hobby is less for it because he is in my expert opinion one of the best model builders I have ever met. I consider myself to be above average in building skills, but he is way about my skill set. So when I had the honor of meeting with him today, I was a bit tongue tied and awestruck. I could have talked to him for days and probably still be as awestruck as I was this afternoon.

I hope for the modeling hobby he has a change of heart down the road.

The Seaspan Barge is 4 feet long and actually has holes cut into the bottom of the hull to allow it to self ballast using water WOW! It also has a second interchangeable deck, which has a crane on it as a transport hauling barge. The crane was damaged sometime back, so I will have to see about fixing it to bring it back to all of it's glory. A R/C Tug boat owner should love to have this setup.  

DSC00971.JPG

DSC00969.JPG

DSC00970.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

DSC00967.JPG

Can't wait to see your build log on this one, Mike. You always build some of the most unique models we ever get the pleasure of seeing here on MSW.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I know what you mean Bob, but I don't find them, they find me. It's kind of like the unique searching out the unique. I love a challenge and trying to get this crane set backup and together and hopefully functioning again will be a hell of a challenge since the manufacture I believe is out of business, no plan sheets to diagrams of it that I know of. 

I'll note that the wood chip pile was actually created by getting foam board, building it up to the height needed, then cutting it down to form a hill. Randy then used spray glue on the foam board and piled on the wood chips that he got from a wood lathe turning class. The pictures don't do it justice, it looks awesome.  

It seems to be the "season" to come across folk that are no longer with us or can not do the things they used to do especially in the area of ship modeling. In the last year I have been asked to help sell or donate five modeleer's tools, models (partially finished or complete) and about 35 kits in the box untouched. In one case I await input from a son about a model he wishes finished that was his dad's.

It is a delicate task to undertake as it is usually the family asks for help. The stories they tell humanize these one time modelers and make it all the more poignant. The skill set of the past modelers are wide. The sad ones are those that could but no longer can and it shows in their recent works. Some of their works are quite good. I am always torn with the former as in my estimation the models especially the poorly done ones really have no value. I do not have the heart to walk away without helping. I always am reminded that this may be my situation some day not too far off so I do what the situation dictates out of respect for all.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee!"

Joe.

I agree Joe, but some times we also have the burden of being at times brutally honest with family members who ask that you help in disposing of their loved one's creations. I have had to be the bearer of honesty when asked to appraise models and even though I have tried to be as diplomatic as possible, it still comes as a shock to realize that the quality just isn't there, especially when they think the model(s) are museum worthy.   

• 3 weeks later...

I had to fix the spool, the left spool had broken off when it had it's accident. I drilled out the center of the spool and inserted a piece if steel rod in the center of the spool, which now holds the spool in place and is actually functional. It is a real guessing game on working on this beast since I don't have any type of diagram as to how it goes together. I had to cut all the threading for the dozens of pullies just to be able to work on it. The fun part will be re-stringing it.   

DSC00987.JPG

• 4 months later...

I was able to get the crane back together and donated the barge/crane to a local charitable non profit organization, who were thrilled to receive the donation. Unfortunately with the damage that the crane had received originally, it could not be made functional anymore. But to me, it really should not have been functional anyway as a static or r/c model.