Dallas 1815 by Rik Thistle - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - revenue cutter

Great job on the "Dallas" Rick. I completed mine last year....did not come as nice as yours, but kind of proud the way it came out.

Pretty challenging build for me as I am a novice on my fourth build.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the challenge, even with the several frustrating moments. Currently working on the black Prince.

Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words. Dallas turned out OK considering she had been in cold storage for 25yrs 😉  I did learn I don't like rigging so I'll be confronting that 'fear' with my HM Flirt build!

Looking forward to your Black Prince build.

All the best,

Richard

• 9 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Well done, congratulations!  

No need to fear rigging Flirt, other than ratlines rigging is a favorite part for me. The complexity is fun, just start inside out and bottom up. Don’t do final tension and fix lines until most all are installed and don’t over tighten, a little slack is fine. 

My favorite rigging too is taking a 6-8 inch pencil size wooden dowel, cutting off the threading end of a large sewing needle, filing or sanding the rough edge smooth and gluing the pointed end into the dowel. The resulting open V allows me to ‘push’ ropes about, especially handy when attaching rope to belaying pins. 

Look forward to seeing your next build. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

GranpaPhil and Glenn,

Thanks for the comments. Dallas sits about 4' above and to the right of my shoulder looking down on me...as does Lady Eleanor. Both are keeping an eye on me I feel 😉

I've been side-tracked with a model steam engine build during the great summer we've had in Scotland and therefore have spent many days (and evenings) in my shed/workshop. The model steam engine is a generic version of the kind used in early steamers so there is a maritime connection. As usual it's the 'oh, that looks a quick and easy part to make' parts that turn out the opposite.

But I hope to get back on Flirt soon'ish since the nights here are starting to draw in.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

6 hours ago, DLYNAM said:

Thanks for posting.  I just getting started with the hull on my Dallas.  Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Dave

Dave,

Do introduce yourself in the new member intro area.   Also, feel free to open a log on your Dallas.  It's a great way to meet other builders and also to share your work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 10 months later...

Awesome looking model!  This thread is a bit old, but I thought I would chime in.  I bought this kit 30+ years ago when I was stationed at the Naval Station in Rota Spain.  I started building it and never got past the steps for Figure #5 before life took over and I "temporarily" set it aside.  Now, 10 years into retirement, I found the kit in a closet and decided to continue with it while I still can.  I can now see why I didn't spend too much time with it while I was in the working world, as the directions seem pretty complicated to me.  In any case, all of the pieces and parts are still in the box in their individual little bags, and all instructions and plans are still there.  I think that the comments and photos in this thread are going to be invaluable for me to complete this project, which I'm determined to finish this time!  I've never tried to build something like this before, so wish me luck! 

Woodepgh,

I wish you luck !

As I mentioned in the thread there were a couple of decades between me starting the Dallas build (completing the hull, deck etc) ...and then digging it out of the attic and completing the ship (masts, rigging etc) ... this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon 😉

When restarting, it took me a few weeks to get up to speed again with the instructions ... which, as you say, aren't the clearest. The drawings were OK though, but sometimes did require close examination with a loupe to eke out the tiny details.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 10 months later...

Hello and good morning, I was wondering if I could perhaps be a bit rude and ask if it was possible to buy the instructions for the Dallas cutter from you? Your model looks lovely and I love the descriptions you give but I just bought the Dallas cutter for my grandfather and he's homebound and this is what he does for enjoyment. The only problem is that it did not come with the instructions and he has to have them to keep it clear in his mind where he's at. If this is even remotely possible please let me know. I would really appreciate it thank you and you have a wonderful day

Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately the instruction sheets and drawings disappeared in 'the great attic clear-out of 2022'. You might be able to glean some of the information from my build. Perhaps eBay could help, or even Artesania Latina themselves.

Richard