Best wood choice for long skinny & functional spars?

Well, not really spars... but the stringers in a fishing boat's outriggers.

I'm building "Pilar" in 1:12 as a functional RC model. Not for real fishing, unless a carp happens to jump in the back... but the enormous outriggers Hemingway installed on Pilar translate into 39 inch long assemblies of 0.083" (2mm) square stringers.  Actually, the box-girder section is only about 23" long, but it's still likely to bang into things.

I'm about to start building them in cherry, but I wonder if something else would be more appropriate?

outrig1.JPG

115_0223B.jpg

PopBoat8b.jpg

$_57B.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

Tricky. I agree with Druxey metal seems the best option. I'm not sure if you can get long enough pieces. I suppose you could solder shorter sections together using the box section brackets to help. To make it look like wood, this site has lots of metal paints and patinas in a variety of colors that might work https://sculptnouveau.com/collections/finishes

And please be careful, those look like they could take an eye out.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Most of the brass stock box tubing is sized so the next smaller size fits perfectly into the next larger size, That make soldering sections together a piece of cake. 

If this were a display model (and I shudder to think how much glass it would take to display it in a case,) I'd say any tight and straight grained hard wood (hard... wood, not just "hardwood") would work.  Bamboo might do well if you could get it in long sections out of a large species. You'd have to scarf pieces together to get them long enough. (Think old time fly fishing poles.) That said, if it's going to be an R/C model, you want something that has some strength because no matter how hard you try, they're going to get whacked sooner or later. You'll have to do some engineering experiments to see if the metal tubing isn't too heavy. You don't want to have a lot of weight aloft that could cause the boat to turn turtle. You can compensate for that some with some ballast, but stability is going to be an issue no matter how you cut it. 

Nice boat to model! There was a made for TV moving called Hemmingway and Gellhorn. It's on all the streaming video channels, some for free. It's not all that bad a movie. Worth checking out if you haven't seen it.  https://www.amazon.com/Hemingway-Gellhorn-Nicole-Kidman/dp/B00C58QKAY  There's some shots of the boat the set decorators worked up for the movie shots. I watched them work up close in the boatyard. I used to be a "boat wrangler" for the movie people when I was working for a yacht brokerage, so I had somewhat of a professional interest in it. They did a good job from a movie standpoint, but the brightwork was all faux painted and they didn't spend much time on the side that wasn't going to be on camera. It was a an old hulk they hauled off  the mud in the Petaluma River here in Sonoma County. I think they patched the holes in her bottom with plywood and wet patch. It didn't run, of course. That's no problem in the movies, though. just lash an inflatable with an outboard alongside out of camera range in you're in business.  It worked for the movie but the boat wasn't a sistership to Pilar by any stretch. As they say, "It created a compelling impression." 

Well, since I already started, I finished one outrigger in cherry. Satisfyingly strong and light, but I'm sure a false step could see it crumpled.

The tip is a real fiberglass fishing pole... well actually, an ice fishing rod blank... perfect size!

20200705_191858.gif

3 feet of outrigger, light as a feather:

20200705_191650.gif

15940022032920.jpg

15940022818082.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

Very good. 

Are you planning to have this in a display case?

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

We RC'ers model FUNCTION as well as form... the boats get moved around too much to bother with display cases.

Get your boats wet!

Keep those models out and ready to use:

20200301_194352b.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!

That's a beautiful piece of work. And it appears nice and whippy.

Please make sure you report back on its performance after you've tried it out in practice. People need to know . . .:dancetl6:

22 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

That's a beautiful piece of work. And it appears nice and whippy.

Please make sure you report back on its performance after you've tried it out in practice. People need to know . . .:dancetl6:

Yes, report back... hopefully with a video.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

As above- may not be the BEST wood choice, but I used cherry, as with the rest of the cabin. Added the brass reinforcing straps and mounting hardware, and now I can display the outriggers up or down. BTW, that was a whole 'nuther detective job, figuring out how Hemingway rigged the outriggers... not obvious from available photos. 

Pilar_04.jpg

Pilar_02.jpg

t20200725_135731b.jpg

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Get your boats wet!