Hello from England

Hello all -

As a small town kid from Oklahoma, I joined the US Navy to see the world. 25 years later, I retired and still love the sea. I have always wanted to build a wooden model ship and with Coronavirus keeping me away from work, I decided to give it a shot. As I currently live in England, I am interested in US and Royal Navy ships. I am currently working on the USS Albatross and am happy with my progress. I probably should have started on a beginner level, but as I grew up a woodworker, I thought I could be successful at intermediate. I am currently working on the rigging and whew, this is tedious. I think the hull looks good (there are a few flaws, but I am keeping in mind, it is my first and I am learning how not to make them next time). 

Anyone have any tips to assist with the rigging?

Michael

Good Afternoon Michael, and welcome to MSW and England;

My only tip is take your time and work to the very best of your abilities. The only sure thing is that in later years, no matter how high the standard you try to achieve now, you will look back at this model, and think 'why did I not do it this way instead of that!' 

Research the subject as thoroughly as you can, and understand what needs to be done as much as possible, before you try to do it. If in any doubt, ask! There are thousands of years of combined experience available on this great forum, and never forget a very large thank you to all those who work in the background to make this possible, by keeping this site working so well.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi Michael and welcome to Model Ship World.  Thank you for your service.  You have come to the right place to get help if you need any.  Your woodworking experience is a plus when building your model.  If you get a chance, please post a picture of your model.  We would love to see your work.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Michael, warm (87°F) (30°C) :sign:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Michael.  I'd suggest look at the kit area for build logs and also in the Masting, Rigging, and Sails area.   If all else fails.. ask questions in the Masting/Rigging area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Michael and welcome.

8 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

If you get a chance, please post a picture of your model.  We would love to see your work.

I second that. If only because we all like to see pics of model ships.

Good morning Michael,

Welcome to MSW, Good Luck with your rigging. As you can tell from replies to your post you have chosen a brilliant forum to join.

It would be good to see some pictures of your work. For your next model you might want to start a build log.

Enjoy this wonderful hobby and making lots of friends from every corner of the world on this forum.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

54 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Looks good to me.

Yes, very nice looking ship. 

:722972270:

Have fun with the rigging of her

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Honestly.. you're doing a great job. There might be some issues, errors, that the photos don't see but if you're posting a log, and make an error, usually someone will offer a suggestion.  It's not criticism as usually they spot a problem that they did and someone helped them out.   I'l add that if you look through the scratch logs (the real dark side of modeling) you'll see the same conversations that start with something like... "Is that part right... I'm doing the same model and...."

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the pictures.  Your hull looks great. The masting and rigging can be challenging, but it can be a very enjoyable part of the overall build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Michael, that's a very creditable model. Nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about there. You should start a build log, even if she is part way through. A lot of help and advice available that way.

I do have a question - I looked up USS Albatross on Wikipedia and there were two of them mentioned, but neither looks like yours. Is there another USS Albatross as well?

Louie - honestly never thought about it. I knew it was like the first build of its name, so I knew I wouldn't recognize it from its more recent build, but the only ships that look like mine, are other models. I am now very curious. It is supposedly a historic ship. I'm going to have to do more research now. 

Thanks for pointing it out...I think. This may cause me more consternation than the rigging. 🤔

Michael

Hi Michael,

It seems you have an OcCre kit of the 1899 Dutch built schooner ALBATROS. I haven't done any further digging but here is a summary:

https://www.castyouranchorhobby.com/Item/OC50500

It should make a nice looking model, it certainly has some history.

HTH

Bruce

EDIT: see this as well ...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/the-albatros-sold-and-staying-in-wells-1-6599080

... but tread carefully. Even though it says this schooner was made in Holland in 1899 the aft deck and cabin just don't match, maybe some digging?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Well, Bruce's post seems to clear everything up. Slight difference in spelling and not "USS".

Your model looks just like the OcCre kit. I don't think the one in Bruce's second link can have anything to do with yours - the only thing they have in common is both being two-masted schooners. Just looking at her, I would have dated her considerably earlier than 1899 - the beakhead, hull shape, gunports and guns make me think of a ship of the 1840's or 1850's at the latest. 

What the OcCre kit is based on is anybody's guess, but, seriously, who cares? It's a good looking model and you're doing a good job on it. Many kits out there are based more on imagination than anything else. It doesn't stop them being good kits, or resulting in good models.

Certainly if you want to follow up further to see if you can find the actual original this model is based on, go right ahead. But even if it's not based on a real ship it doesn't detract from the model itself. When complete it will be something you can be proud of.

Keep up the good work!