Odysseus homeric ship (penteconter) by MESSIS - FINISHED - kit-bashed from Dusek bireme

Λίκνον is ancient greek but strictly speaking  not a homeric word. It is not contained  either in Iliad nor Odyssey. It is mentioned though  in the Homeric hymns* (I am sure its mentioned in the hymn to Hermes). 

It means the "baby cot" and wider means there where something was created. Is very oft used in the phrase "Ελλάδα το λίκνον του πολιτισμού"...  

*the Homeric hymns are anonymus. They are called homeric because  the same epic meter is used as Iliad and Odyssey. They also use the same dialect.

Translation of Homer can be very tricky as @Danstream above  translates "winnowing fan", it can not be certain if that is a correct translation. Some translations even use the sound similar word to liknon, the word liknistiri. It means pitchfork... which again makes sense, but can not taken as certain.

The word used actualy by Homer  is αθηρολοιγόν!  Atheroma is or can be a plate or a slab. Why can not an oar blade  be that? I dont know. Kazantzakis (I believe the authority in Homeric  translation) translates to greek using  the word δίκρανο. Meaning again something like pitchfork or rake (I dont know if my weak knowledge in english translates ok).

Dear all,

the discussion is very interesting. Just a clarification for Messis: clearly I did not translate the text above, I just downloaded the translation from internet once the episode of Tiresias popped up in my memory. I studied ancient Greek in my Gymnasium school in Italy, but it was 45-50 years ago and I completely lost my skills for translation.

However, after the last posts, I went back to my books and indeed, the term used in my text of the Odissea was αθηρολοιγόν. Now my Greek-Italian vocabulary translate it as 'ventilabro', which, as it was indicated also by Louie above, was an old tool used in agriculture to launch the grain in the air and is similar to a shovel. Looking into the pictures of the 'museo della agricoltura', in Italy (agriculture tradition museum) , I found, among others, this suggestive picture:

_0006734.jpg.3e3e975a1de2ab0e21535bc4c55ace9e.jpg

Well, I think that having a oar that shaped is not an unrealistic assumption. Note that in some translations which are more oriented to a wide audience, in English, the object the oar is mistaken with is translated as 'shovel'.

Sorry for my long digression, I hope you find it interesting,

Best regards,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

@Danstream what you just posted sounds very rellistic and I believe that could also be a translation very possibly correct. Actualy the object on the pic you posted  is called δικρανο in greek and this is how Kazantzakis has also translated. And the same surely was done by@Louie da flywho is very familiar with the ancient naval history and has very good knowledge of  the corresponding greek language.

Sorry about saying it was your traslation, I meant the translation you posted.

The issue is that any translation has a risk because its not known what exactly is the translation of the homeric word αθηρολοιγόν. 

This is what is oft happenning with the homeric texts. Thats why I mentioned  previously  the "homeric fog" and the linguistic codes of Homer.... unlocking them isnt easy.

You are right the discuttion is very interesting.Thank you for contributting to that. I really enjoy it.

Fascinating stuff. This "winnowing shovel" looks a lot more like an oar than a winnowing fan does.

Just reinforces the fact that translations can give a wrong impression, just as in the "red-cheeked" vessels we discussed earlier. It's very difficult if not impossible to give an exact translation from one language to another and retain the full sense of the original.

On the other hand, I've learnt something from all this - I didn't know there was an implement like that shovel thing - very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very good @MESSIS. I like the way you tied up the oars better than the way showed in the picture of the real replica, where the thrust of the oars is transmitted to the ship via the ropes. In your way, the oars push directly on the stanchions during the active part of their stroke (but perhaps there might be an issue of deterioration of the area of contact?). Very good job in carving fifty identical oars.

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

@Danstream Dan, believe it or not, you just made my day! I was dissapointed with my oar's work.  I though they were not good enough reproduced... I thought that was the black ship of this project. But you just made me think better.

Thank you for your nice words, I did looked the model again and .... at least you are most persuasive!

Vielen dank

Christos

Ps. For the arrangement of the oars though I had found evidence on vessels showing this , I mostly did so, because as an engineer this is the correct  thinking (as you  just mentioned above)

They look good to me, Christos. I found I had the same problem when I made my oars - I concentrated too hard on the (tiny) faults in each individual oar. But when the oars are seen all together, those things become almost invisible. What you are aware of is the overall picture - a whole lot of oars all together. And if there are individual differences between the oars you really don't see them.

Dan, both methods of fixing the oars to the pivots are and have been used, but one is certainly better than the other. Why doesn't everybody use the more efficient method? "Because we've always done it that way, and what was good enough for grandad is good enough for me . . ."

@Louie da fly thank you Steven, it seemsyou are right, the thing is "dont concetrade on those small faults, look the whole". Ofcourse youknow that we, the modellers, is part of our masochism to concentrate exactly on our faults even if they are tinny and of no importance. 

18 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

Ofcourse youknow that we, the modellers, is part of our masochism to concentrate exactly on our faults even if they are tinny and of no importance. 

Oh yes. I certainly know that feeling.

Looking very good, Christos! She's almost ready to go.

I thought you might like a few contemporary representations of vessels with dropped masts, showing the ιστοδόκη on each.

istodoki 3rd century galley mosaic, Themetra, Tunisia.JPG

3rd century galley mosaic, Themetra, Tunisia

istodoki dropped mast - see Pryor.JPG

istodoki Gallaey Themetra baths Tunisia lowered mast.jpg

Themetra baths Tunisia

istodoki galley themetra Tunisia lowered mast.jpg

Themetra baths Tunisia

istodoki Hellenic ship, mosaic (ca 1st century BCE-CE).jpg

Hellenic ship, mosaic (ca 1st century BCE-CE). This one doesn't show the ιστοδόκη, but it looks like they're dropping the mast. 

istodoki Trajan's column c. 114 C.E. yard supports 3.JPG

Trajan's column c. 114 C.E.

istodoki Trajan's column c. 114 C.E. yard supports.JPG

Trajan's column c. 114 C.E.

9 hours ago, MESSIS said:

Odysseous is traveling back to Ithaka.

He probably thinks it'll only take a week or so . . . :D

Beautiful work, Christos. A model to be proud of.

Beautiful, Christos.   If it takes longer than a week to get back to Ithaka, order the rowers to row faster.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just discovered another rendition of an  ιστοδόκη. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a source for it (I got it off Pinterest), but I believe it to be Roman.

853575024_Romanshipdroppedmast.jpg.aa63d3bda5b68087e169f25bdd7257e9.jpg