Hello from Massachusetts

Hi, my name is Lyle and I found your great site while researching expanding my hobby. I'm a truck driver and a lot of my weekends are spent at truckstops. I've been thinking of ways to spend this time creating something. I have been building plastic kits for many years, but didn't want those paints or glues in the cab. I knew I wanted to work in wood, as most materials are water-based. In my mind model ships always seemed a daunting task, what with all those sails and rigging. Browsing the internet I discovered there were companies that offered beginner level kits that were much less complex than what I picture when thinking model ships. Then finding MSW I knew I could try one of these kits. I decided on the OcCre Polaris based on them having video tutorials for me to learn from. After all, a hobby is about learning new techniques and this is certainly new to me. I ordered the kit from Ages of Sail as I saw they are a sponsor of MSW. The shipped the next day, but getting the kit was a challenge as I had to time getting home on the same day the kit arrived. Got it! I can see ordering things I need will be part of the challenge of this build, as my local hobby shop is strictly trains. I will be starting a log as well, as I'm sure I will value the input.

Current Build- OcCre Polaris

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello from Idaho:

I've never driven truck but I did spend a few years living on the road, going from project to project.  Lap-size, portable projects kept me centered and out of the bars!  I'm glad to see you are interested in keeping your mind occupied - there is no end to modeling.  Welcome to this site.  

Welcome Lyle!

Make sure you start a  build log so we on MSW get the benefit of your build. It's also a very good way to get help, enouragement and advice.There are very many new people on MSW making a ship model for the first time.

Don't be afraid of making mistakes - even the best modellers make them, (though their mistakes are much more interesting than those of us mere mortals). And one of the good things about wooden models is that wood is very forgiving - there is almost no mistake that can't be remedied.

Looking forward to seeing you journey into ship modelling. But a warning -  don't be surprised if you get addicted :P

Welcome to MSW, Lyle.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi, welcome to the group. Glad you found us.  

Check out Lauck Street Shipyards Here for practicums on ship building and Vanguard Models Here for well designed kits with high quality and detailed instructions and plans.  

As others mentioned, consider starting a build log. That way you’re connect to a worldwide source of friendly people willing to support and help you along the way.  

Have fun, it won’t all go perfect, but adapt, improvise, and overcoming obstacles is half the fun.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose