Hello from Malta

Thanks for accepting me in this forum. I'm a fairly good craftsman ( attached some of my works) but I never worked on any model ships. I wish to assamble one for my living room. The HMY Royal Caroline 1749 Scale 1/50 or the Mercury 1820 Russian are the most beautiful ones in my eyes. Will it be too complicated for a beginner?

Thanks

20200719_154522.jpg

20200716_211854.jpg

Welcome! 

When I returned to the hobby after many years absence I first build a smaller, not too expensive, model just to see whether I still liked it (and whether old age had not deteriorated my skills 😉). The advantage is that you go in a relatively short time through all the stages (hull, decorations, rigging). It will give you a good idea about your strong and weak points. That also helps selecting the next model.

As an example, I built the Sultan Dhow from Artesania Latina but there are obviously many options, depending on your liking.

Bounty - Billing Boats

Le Mirage - Corel

Sultan Arab Dhow - Artesania Latina

Royal Caroline - Panart (in progress)

Yacht Admiralty Amsterdam - Scratch build (design completed, sourcing materials)

Welcome to the forum! That room looks really nice. Still trying to figure out what that second picture is. Definitely starting a smaller less advanced project is always a good idea to see if you enjoy shipbuilding. Royal Caroline and the Mercury are wonderful ships however some people may find them a little bit much as their first project. Although I have been exceptional craftsmen who can easily accomplish such a complex project on the first try

Welcome to MSW. I would also recommend that start with something a little easier. 

I noted that you mentioned the 1/50 Royal Caroline. I'm not a 100% sure but I think that kit comes from one of our banned manufacturers here. 

Please read this thread for more information: 

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Yes definitely read about the banned kit manufacturers.  

For the Royal Caroline there is a Mantua-Panart kit at 1:47 scale although that is a very hefty investment for a first build

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello David, welcome to this great forum.  I can see that you have already been given some sound advise.  Yes, keep away from banned manufacturers, you will not find any builds in this forum relating to these manufacturers.  The first thing I realised I needed when I started this hobby was a head magnifier to be able to handle the tiny parts, without them I am lost.  I started this hobby about ten years ago and I am currently building the HMS Victory from Caldercraft.  But before I started on this ambitious build I tried my hands on a much smaller boat, 'Bluenose II' by Artesania Latina, which is a much more basic build but I must admit, from it  I gained a lot of experience regarding hull and deck planking, plank bending and rigging.  I think Meddo's advise above is a good one.  

Regards

Robert 

Hi, David,
welcome, we are quite "close" considering the fact that here you will find many fans and friends from all over the world.

with regard

black Wolf

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

Hi David and welcome to MSW. Some suggestions for a first build that will introduce you to the techniques but won'toverwhelm with complexity (and time to complete!) is at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18657-new-to-ship-modelling-but-what-do-you-build-first/?tab=comments#comment-573653 These are all tried and true kits with clear instructions that won't tie you up in knots.

I've always wanted to visit Malta. It has an amazing history - and of course those castles! 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, Bertu said:

Hello David, welcome to this great forum.  I can see that you have already been given some sound advise.  Yes, keep away from banned manufacturers, you will not find any builds in this forum relating to these manufacturers.  The first thing I realised I needed when I started this hobby was a head magnifier to be able to handle the tiny parts, without them I am lost.  I started this hobby about ten years ago and I am currently building the HMS Victory from Caldercraft.  But before I started on this ambitious build I tried my hands on a much smaller boat, 'Bluenose II' by Artesania Latina, which is a much more basic build but I must admit, from it  I gained a lot of experience regarding hull and deck planking, plank bending and rigging.  I think Meddo's advise above is a good one.  

Regards

Robert 

Thanks Bert. I was also intrested in the "Xabec". It looks more suitable for beginners and I like the fact it was used in the Mediterranean. 

12 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi David and welcome to MSW. Some suggestions for a first build that will introduce you to the techniques but won'toverwhelm with complexity (and time to complete!) is at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18657-new-to-ship-modelling-but-what-do-you-build-first/?tab=comments#comment-573653 These are all tried and true kits with clear instructions that won't tie you up in knots.

I've always wanted to visit Malta. It has an amazing history - and of course those castles! 

Many thanks. This will be of great help for me.

Welcome aboard David. This is a great forum with a wide range of talent and projects. Your past work looks superb...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways