HM Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by Rik Thistle - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Master Shipwright Edition

Tom,

Thanks for the nice words.

I'm quite happy with the way the cannons eventually turned out, although if I had to do them again (and with the knowledge I've gained) I think I could make them look a little neater. But 20:20 hindsight is a great thing 😉

Tom, YOU may be looking forward to the mast rigging etc but I know someone who isn't! Another steep learning curve ahead for me. I'm sure I can find numerous other things to do on Flirt to delay the start of the rigging....I'm an expert at delaying.

Cycling is a wonderful activity. Fortunately I live in a small town surrounded by lovely countryside and great cycle runs. I used to do a lot of mountain biking but my left knee can no longer handle that. One day I'll be getting an eBike but hopefully that's a good few years off.

All the best,

Richard

28 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

I'm sure I can find numerous other things to do on Flirt to delay the start of the rigging....I'm an expert at delaying.

Everything is looking great so far! One suggestion (to take or leave) is to start considering rigging prep now for things like stropping blocks. Rigging to me was a slow repetitive process (relaxing at times and maddeningly frustrating at others). My process for prepping blocks is slow and in the future I think I would make a few as I go so I'm a little less idle during the rigging process. 

start considering rigging prep now

Good idea. Rather than tackling all the rigging in one large push, it might be useful to nibble away at it whilst doing  other bits, gradually building up the nibble sizes as I go.

Richard

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 11:41 AM, Rik Thistle said:

Yup, Spring, gardening, cycling, visiting friends (now that Lockdown has been lifted, for the moment), some good health news and goodness knows what else are incoming distractions to model building.

Oh, I know this pattern all too well. I'm an avid cyclist but, unfortunately, I just had my first ever hard, road bike crash 2 weeks ago. I hit some uneven pavement at high speed going downhill and the front tire pinch flatted instantly and down I went. Man, the pavement is unforgiving! My left knee, hip pointer, wrist, elbow and shoulder plus road rash have all healed up but my left rib cage is still very sore. My head actually bounced on the pavement. Thank God for a good helmet! It's driving me crazy being off my bike this long but I have lots of time now to watch Le Tour de France everyday! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Man, the pavement is unforgiving! My left knee, hip pointer, wrist, elbow and shoulder plus road rash have all healed up but my left rib cage is still very sore. My head actually bounced on the pavement.

Ouch! I hope the rib cage eases up soon.  It's probably bruised cartilage between the ribs, not that I'm an MD.

I find it shocking that a lot of cyclists don't wear safety helmets ... a typical excuse is... "it messes up my hair".  I have a (gory) response to that which makes them reconsider their position.

My mountain biking days are behind me now, but I still try to get out on the country roads as often as the Scottish weather will allow.

Richard

19 hours ago, ah100m said:

OK, yeah, but how's the bike!

The bike made it out ok except for some minor scrapes which actually do bother me. It's my dream bike which I got 2 years ago: a Project OneTrek Émonda SLR 9 with the SRAM AXS groupset. I love this bike so much!  

11 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

Ouch! I hope the rib cage eases up soon.  It's probably bruised cartilage between the ribs, not that I'm an MD.

I've cracked ribs and injured cartilage several times before in mountain bike crashes years ago so, unfortunately, I know the drill. It takes a long time for these kind of injuries to heal. My brother-in-law is a retired physician and he gave me the go ahead to start riding moderately even though it's uncomfortable as long as the pain doesn't increase a lot. I've been going stir crazy so I feel like I just got bailed out of jail!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

11 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

My mountain biking days are behind me now, but I still try to get out on the country roads as often as the Scottish weather will allow.

That's wonderful! The scenery on those roads must be magnificent. I'd love to ride in Scotland someday.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I'd love to ride in Scotland someday.

I'd love to ride California one day 😉 .

I've always bought Trek or Marin bikes so Marin County is also on the list, but I think my travelling days are over.

One of my favourite Scottish road + scenery circuits was to set off from Aberfoyle with a group of friends and do a circuit around Loch Katrine. It's Rob Roy country so very picturesque with quiet, small roads, tiny villages and hamlets with mountains on one side and Loch Katrine (with the Sir Walter Scott steamship) on the other side.

Having been to quite a few countries on business and holiday I think I'd probably pick Lake Louise are a choice cycling destination. Skiied there but never cycled.

Anyway, take it easy with the cycling for now and just enjoy the fresh air.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

25 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

I'd love to ride California one day 😉 .

Let me know if you ever make to northern California. It's a great place but climate change is wreaking havoc on all of the beautiful, western USA. It's terribly sad. 😪

33 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

I've always bought Trek or Marin bikes so Marin County is also on the list, but I think my travelling days are over.

Don't give up on it if at all possible. The older I get, the more precious each moment seems!

29 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

I think I'd probably pick Lake Louise are a choice cycling destination.

The Canadian Rockies are stunning. I've only hiked in the Lake Louise area and it was fantastic although hiking in grizzly bear country was a bit unsettling! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 1 month later...

I guess my post today on your Dallas build is a model you finished long ago, I didn’t notice the date…oops.  Your Flirt is common along well. Nice work!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I think I've now got most of the workforce back in the shipyard, after them disappearing off to enjoy the Summer.

So just a short post to get the ball rolling, again.

I had previously done some initial work on the masts eg turning diameters etc in my little lathe. So I will continue with the two masts.

Below - I glued the Bolsters to the 'trees'.

103040198_masts1(Copy).thumb.jpg.ace64b651831e5c68a6fd9a76d181014.jpg

Then I sat and stared at the Mast Drawing plan (Sheet 5) for quite a while, and realised that there is a lot going on with these two similar masts. So proper parts organisation seems a good idea, as did much more staring at Sheet 5.

1930957783_masts2(Copy).thumb.jpg.6dc639cfb4d854eb91d13595802588ff.jpg

Below - the two Topmasts had the 4mm square (Edit: My mistake, should be 3mm square, darn...so sanding down to 3mm) section milled on the end. This turned out fine - the starting size was a 6mm diameter, so I tentatively took a 1mm deep cut, gently holding the protruding section in the Proxxon vice. I thought it might start to flex as I got to the 4th side but by going slowly all was fine. I have a dividing head, but instead used a set square resting on the bed and the freshly cut side to ensure 90 deg rotation - that worked OK.

1926640922_masts3(Copy).thumb.jpg.6db0ed55b3f5c124a73f5c9557f1171c.jpg

As I mentioned, there is a lot of detail on Sheet 5 that I need to reassimilate. It wasn't a good idea to leave Flirt for months...I should have tried to do a little each week. Ah well, live and learn.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I have a bit of uncertainty regarding the number, type and attachment point of the Topmast Crosstrees' blocks.

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

On the image below (from pg 52 of the Manual) it shows the larger Main Topmast Crosstree (left) and the smaller Fore Topmast Crosstree (right)

1642861472_TopmastcrosstreesfromManual1.thumb.jpg.f90488df3e563252c69c615549dae796.jpg

On the left side of the pic above I see 4x 'J' blocks  - the uppermost two blocks I can see are attached to the middle legs of the Crosstree (as the drawing below shows) , but the bottom two blocks seem to be attached to something near the mast itself? 

Q1- where/how are the bottom two blocks attached.

.... and on the right side I see 4x 'J' blocks - two are attached to the middle legs of the Crosstree, and the other two as per on the left side?

Q2 - See Q1.... (Note: I also see a fifth block but I believe that is attached to the 3mm square section of the mast?)

Below is a crop from Plan Sheet 5 (Fore and Main mast).  This time, the left side shows the Fore mast and the right side shows the Main mast.

446290508_Topmastcrosstrees1.thumb.jpg.513a4835363eefa6c802ccc6a1b8127f.jpg

From above ... on the left side of the crop ....ah, as I write this I may see part of the answer....there are a pair of 'J' blocks hanging from each of the middle legs of the Crosstree.

Q3 - are the J blocks suspended in pairs?

On the right side above, I see a block suspended at a different height (in the view where it mentions 'Paint black').

Q4 - why would the block (and it's partner on the far side?) be at a different height?

I've been staring at this block arrangement for about two weeks on and off and getting nowhere, so hopefully someone here can put me out of my mysery 😉  I'm sure the answer will be straightforward, like a crossword puzzle I've been looking at  too long.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Hi all,

A small update on where I am, mostly regarding the Main and Fore masts.

Below, gluing together the 7mm and 6mm closed hearts for the topmast stays.

501096400_1closedheartblocks1.thumb.JPG.4b8f428999e74a8781dfc9256453f6e8.JPG

Below, The two masts were gingerly held in a lightweight vice acting as a 3rd hand.

1749075837_1cblocksbeingfittedtoLowerTop1.thumb.jpg.7a3fd203703deea875f5ac1bcba28cb4.jpg

Below, preparing the rope lengths for the some of the single  J blocks (item F10). Somehow the double L blocks (F12) sneaked in to the picture.

39808729_5blocksbeingfittedtoLowerTop1a.thumb.jpg.924208a6ce761305a6002e65041bc408.jpg

OK, that is the J blocks now attached to their ropes and lined up ready to be attached to the Main Top and Fore Top. The double L blocks had already been fitted.  Some black paint had already been applied to ease the final painting with masking tape.

816060374_5cJblockswithrope..thumb.jpg.7202cd950ac8341d6024c475ad86971b.jpg

The Main Top with most of it's blocks etc attached.

7.thumb.JPG.ccf5aa5b6b080ac0f2f8dac0b1eb0f5f.JPG

Both masts testing their new home. There is still a heck of a lot to do to get the masts completely finished, but now that we are in the middle of (a mild, so far) winter here in Scotland I hope to devote more time to Flirt.

1835055756_8fshipwithmasts6.thumb.jpg.e652b52d347f3c695ed600f43292f211.jpg

All for now.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

12 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

staring at this block arrangement

James should be able to give you an answer. My guess is as the are lift or jeer blocks they would be seized around the mast long enough to then down through the slot where you see them. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

through the slot

Yes, it could be that; I'm just not 100% sure. 

I'm beginning to kinda convince myself that the J blocks are attached as pairs.  Your comment made me look through the Plan Sheets 7, 8 & 9 (rigging etc) and that implies they are in pairs supsended from the two middle crosstree arms.

But my ...  Q4 - why would the block (and it's partner on the far side?) be at a different height? .... from Post #81 still stands  I can't figure out why the blocks are shown at different heights.

Regards,

Richard

Rik,

What is shown on the yard that these jeers connect to?  Presumably, the matching blocks are shown there.

John

Edited by bartley

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

15 hours ago, Rik Thistle said:

the J blocks are attached as pairs. 

Yes the would be pairs if as I was thinking. Again, I’m guessing. I suggest DMing James. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 1 year later...