Permission to come aboard...

Dougal Mack

Hi there

My first venture into the world of wooden models and ships.

I'm 57 and from Skipton in North Yorkshire and have been building plastic kit models forever!

The last few years I've built 4 Tamiya 1:14 RC trucks with trailers and a 1:16 Sherman tank.

Much as I enjoy these kits, they are expensive and dare I say, too simple!

So here I am wanting something more of a challenge and wooden ships I think will give me this!

I looked on this forum for ideas and it seemed the best option was to start with something "easier", so I bought the Artesinia Latina kit of "Endeavour's Longboat".

Even this looks to be quite challenging but I'm enjoying it so far - I've just started the planking and been getting some tips from a couple of build posts (thanks to "AndrewW" and "Levie"

I would like to ask a question to begin with:

What clamps do you recommend?  I have various Wolfcraft clamps and the smaller ones are fine but the bigger clamps with a longer reach have very strong springs that are likely to crush the hull!  I need long reach clamps but with a soft spring.

Thanks and regards to all

Hello Dougal, and a warm welcome to MSW from misty Sussex.

You will find all the support you can hope for here, and I will give you the easiest answer of all:

You can never have enough clamps!

I suggest you also study the build logs here for boats similar to yours to see the variety of ways people find to do the same tasks on different boats. Which technique seems to feel 'right' for you will probably emerge.

can we look forward to a build log?

Regards,

Bruce

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

you might find what your looking for here, everyone has there own lists of tools to start with

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/18-modeling-tools-and-workshop-equipment/

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Long clamps with soft springs?

If you have some spring loaded  wooden clothes pins, take the spring off and try making a longer version of clothes pin from scrap wood!

Hope to see your log soon.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Welcome to MSW,  Dougal,

I'll add another link.... https://thenrg.org/articles/basic-tools  There's also more articles in this database as well as the links mentioned.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Dougal and welcome to Model Ship World.  Your trucks are very realistic as well as excellent photographic skills.  I do hope you start a build log on your Endeavour Longboat as we would like to follow your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat