Hello from the Mitten from moltinmark

Moltinmark

Wow what a fantastic Forum !!! I have seen some great builds looking through some of the logs. I built my first ship when Michigan went on lockdown in April and May.  After a couple of weeks staring at the walls thinking I will go mad if I don't find something to do and had always wanted to do a wooden ship and built the Le Renard Artesian Latina. I wish I had known about this sight after seeing all the different modifications and work arounds I read in the build logs. I completed it with a lighted case in just over 2 months. I am currently working on a plastic model of the Sea Witch by Lindberg I found on sale for 40 USD at Ollies surplus store. Its a different animal with detailed painting of small plastic parts

20200718_204940_HDR.jpg

Moltinmark 

Welcome to Model Ship World, fellow Michigander!  Your Le Renard looks great.  This is a fantastic site.  I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I have.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Warm welcome  to the family,   Wow that looks gorgeous  its our loss not seeing you build it,  but your here now 🙂   so no time like the present  jump in and start a build log.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

19 minutes ago, Moltinmark said:

Old Collingwood, I switched phones over the summer but have photos on that phone that I might if allowed, do a build log on. I am going to guess that your Canadian and live northeast of me on Georgian bay. I used to camp at the pinery 

That should be fine,   I am in the UK.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I would very much like to review my build and how I went through it and maybe learn what I did right and wrong. Fell in love with wooden ship building how I did things, mostly per the instructions, excepting paint schemes, whether the pros and cons of what I did? Again mostly per instructions, to improve techniques and get what tools are needed for my next wooden ship. Told ya I'm hooked!!

I'm not sure whether this goes here or goes to the Finished gallery ? here's as good as any place 

20201203_210419_HDR.jpg

Moltinmark 

After reading thru the forums I realized that I rushed through this as I had planned to do this in what at the time I thought a two or three month shut down  for the pandemic. this whole model was done hand made with basically just exacto knives and paintbrushes all hand painted and followed the directions as closely as I could understand them. Even making my own stain with paint thinner and asphalt that was suggested in the instructions.

16070541715537192613880531187217.jpg

Moltinmark 

Here on the Hull I use the stain and the brass nails that came with the kit. This was a single plank on bulkhead Construction. I bent the boards in hot water in a pan on the stove and then clamp them to the inside of the gunwhales 4 boards at a time fairing them as I went. Glued and nailed at each bulkhead. I didn't painted the recommended white as I didn't want to cover up all my hard work. I was actually thinking and wondering whether they really painted the Hull in them days.

20201203_203759.jpg

Moltinmark 

The deck was plywood with a thin plank layer on top. Used a golf pencil for the nails and the board edges. Topped with shellack. This pic also shows the deck furniture as i think their referred. I stained the top of the hold and the deck edge molding here. Every thing else was acrylic paint I got with brushes at Target art kit

20201203_203357.jpg

Moltinmark 

Those wires were a bugger I tried to stain the wire holders. I love the Precision laser cuts and etchings of the kit I also stained the toolkit in front of the house Shack. The one thing I wish the instructions would have used the proper names of all these parts instead of referring to the part number all the time. Still I learned a lot about the age of sail

20201203_203344.jpg

Moltinmark 

I did make a jig to get the correct 10mm spacing for the dead eyes. I learned on this site that maybe I should have probably greened those brass parts to make it look a little older. After tying off at the top and pulling down tight threaded each one of these by hand tightening them down as they would in reality to the top of the two 5mm board jig. They recommended painting all rigging lines and threads with a glue water mixture after final positioning

20201203_203253.jpg

Moltinmark 

July 2nd finished. I've gotta dig up my last phone to confirm the start date but I think it was around the 20th of April. I think I'll name her "Corona Bound" as this was the cause of my building my first wooden model ship and finding a new hobbie for my golden years. Any suggestions on what my next waning years of the age of sail project vessel should be would be appreciated. A US ship or a more ornate all wood type combining different woods and brass. Thanks for looking and any critiques that will make me better. One day I think I will build this one again and take more time lol and more historically correct. By the way how long should this have normally taken if I was working full time and like being outdoors golfing, hunting ect like pre pandemic, you know live normal

20200702_150749.jpg

Moltinmark 

Nice work and welcome to MSW.

For the gallery, just photos of the finished build.   As for everything else you're showing, those should go into a build log in the kit section as this area is really only for introductions.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done, and welcome on-board.  I think you did great work in a remarkably short time period!  I move at glacial speeds comparatively speaking it appears.....=(.  Keep up the good work, and I'll be eager to see your builds in the future!

• 4 weeks later...