Yoda's Ark by mtdoramike - mainly because I like the word Ark

A fellow model building sophisticate Pat Tritle developed this build years ago and since he is a model building hero of mine, I thought I might give the Yoda's Ark a go. But I have a few other things in the works at the moment, I hope to start on it soon. The model is based on an artists rendering of a 1930's Great Gatsby era line of an excursion boat. Another modelling sophisticate of mine also built this model and gave me the plans and building templates from his Yoda build.    

DSC01161.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

DSC01164.JPG

DSC01164.JPG

Well, that's different. Looks so cool I can see the attraction. Keep us posted?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I think I may do some modifications on it, by shortening the cabin structure and enclosing it a bit with glass and put in a door to the rear of the cabin, which would give enough room to mount a couple of swivel post fishing seats. But all is up to speculation at this point.  

The plans show to make the keel and bulkheads out of 1/8" balsa. Well, that ain't going to work for me, I'm going to use 1/8" light plywood for both. I have learned from building R/C boats that building light only means you will have to use more dead weight as ballast. I would rather use stronger building materials than add useless dead weight. Also, anything protruding above deck level means more ballast weight to compensate. 

I have all the pieces cut out, keel and bulkheads or frames. It took me a while because I use a coping saw. I'm not good with a scroll saw and find I have more control going the old fashioned route with the coping saw. It takes more time and a bit more effort, but I get a better result.  

you should start a build log for this!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

4 hours ago, AON said:

you should start a build log for this!

If you don't want to start a new log, I can move this topic to appropriate area in the Scratch area since it appears to be a scratch build. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Done and retitled.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I will also beef up the edges of the frames to give the planking more of a platform to attach to and give more of a structural support. I usually do this for all plank on frame models I build because most frames are not thick enough. I have built both R/C planes and boats and although planes need to be built lite to make them more air worthy, boats are totally different in that aspect. I would rather build the boat stronger and heavier rather than having to add dead weight to balance it and keep it from being top heavy. The deck cabins and super structures can use the trimming of weight.   

I also have another Chris Craft 1930 mahogany runabout that was an orphaned kit that I was offered that I will be starting on shortly. I usually don't like building the same thing twice (I built this same boat last year) but I hated to see it get kicked from pillar to post so I accepted it.  This will be the name of the 1930 Chris Craft when finished. It will be affixed to the stern of the boat. 

s-l500.jpg

Edited by mtdoramike

• 3 months later...

Wouldn't you know. The best two days to lay fiberglass was yesterday and today, the only two days in the past week and a half that I have other pressing things to do.

Humidity is below 50%. I don't like to fiberglass when humidity is above 60 and living in central Florida this time of year is rare.

I hope this isn't too resque for the forums, if so let me know and I'll delete it hahahaha.

I deleted the pic of the art work that is going on the transom of the Ark because on another forum my post got flagged for showing nudity, so as not to offend anyone's sense of morality I will delete it and make sure and not post pictures of that area of the boat when finished. But it is my creative freedom to build what I want and finish it the way I want, it's not my right to offend others whether or not it offends me. I choose not to put the mods in this position, so I decided to edit this post.    

Edited by mtdoramike

very nice looking model....really nice progress :)   the hull kinda reminds me of the Billing's kit Boulogne Etaples.......I cloned the hull a couple of times.  one of them became the Andrea Gail after a bit of modification.  really like how this one is coming out.   how long is the hull?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi popeye, it's close to 27" long, which is a perfect size for R/C, display, transport and to ship. I was a bit skeptical when I first started the build of whether or not I would like it. But less than halfway into the build and I really started liking it. It is such a nice design and a very easy build for those trying to transition to scratch building. This is one of my top 5 favorite models and after over 75 models, that is a prestigeous honor hahahaha. I had to order the portholes from a company in England because unfortunately I couldn't find any in the States. It took 3 weeks to get them and about $20.00 shipped for the ten portholes, but I think it was well worth the effort.