HMS Victory by Roberts Orca - Corel - 1:98

26 minutes ago, Roberts Orca said:

I have 1 deck board in place. I'm trying to find out how many beams ran under this deck. I would like to apply the boards similarly to the way they actually were on the real ship. Any advice is welcome,  thanks.20210110_095448.thumb.jpg.9e8cf6d7548356982fdc6d6180c581ba.jpg

I just ordered "Anatomy of the ship victory"  I believe it will prove helpful. I've played around with some finishing techniques for the deck boards. I'm going to lightly sand each plank prior to gluing in place. I'm also going to darken the edges with charcoal to simulate the caulking. Then after all the boards are installed, I'm going to go over the entire deck with a wash coat of antique white stain. This will give the deck a sun bleached look. Then after the antique white stain has dried overnight,  I'm going back over all of it again with a walnut wash. This won't darken the deck. What it will do is deposit dark color in every nook and cranny. I tested this on some sample pieces.  I really liked what I saw. Soon as I can figure out the deck layout, I'll send pictures. 

Have a great day. 🙂

While I'm waiting on a book in the mail, I decided to work on some custom hull planking clamps. Because of the thinness of the bulkheads, I don't want to push a bunch of pins or nails into it. And I don't want to split any of the planks.

So I came up with this idea.

It's made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood that are glued to a piece of Alder. Glued to the inside walls are 80 grit sandpaper, which will help hold it secure when the spring clamp is applied. At the end of the Alder I threaded it to accept a 4/40 size machine screw. So the important measurement here is the width of the Alder. First I glued the sandpaper to the plywood. Then place them on both sides of a bulkhead. Then I carefully measure the gap in between the two and add about a half millimeter. This gives me the thickness of the Alder. CA glued it all together and it simply slides over any bulkhead. Apply a small spring clamp and it's good and snug. Now when I glue one plank to another one, I can slide this clamp right up against the strip I'm trying to glue. Apply the spring clamp and then with a screwdriver I can gently apply enough pressure to hold the strip firmly to the bulkheads. I'll probably insert a small felt pad between the screw and the strip so as not to leave an indentation. 

20210111_112037.jpg

20210111_112043.jpg

20210111_112057.jpg

20210111_111939.jpg

20210111_111902.jpg

Now I'm going to make about 22 of them. An important note. The screw always applies pressure in the center of the bulkhead. So even at the bow or stern areas where the bulkheads have a steep slope, it will push the plank flat against the angle set. And I'll probably round off the screws and use the felt pads every time. 

I used a wash of this "Unbleached"

Varathane stain. I like the looks of that. Then I used an awl to put the look of tree nails. After that a wash of dark walnut stain. Really brought out the details. I like the rugged look, but if I had to do it over, I think I would have stopped with the sun bleached stain. It's just a little bit darker than I wanted it.

20210116_130736.jpg

20210116_130802.jpg

20210116_135316.jpg

20210116_135334.jpg

20210116_135404.jpg

34 minutes ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Robert it looks really great. Excellent work!!! 

Thanks Eugenio. I really appreciate the compliment. I'm actually thinking of trying to lighten it up, and make the nail spots less noticeable. I might sand on it to brighten it up. Not a whole lot of this deck actually shows, so I'm glad I'm figuring things out here.

So after much deliberation I decided that I needed to redo my first deck.

The tree nail attempt just didn't do it for me. I learned from my experience with oil painting that "less is more". In other words,  just because you know something is there, doesn't mean you have to put it there. 

Here's some pictures of my redo. 

Thanks for stopping by.      Robert 

20210117_144156.jpg

20210117_144212.jpg

20210117_144244.jpg

Half way there. 

I'm curious what other builders are using to seal their decks with. 

I'm considering using tung oil. If rubbed out properly, it leaves the surface matte to satin. Brings out the beauty of the wood. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for stopping by.      Robert.

20210118_071102.jpg

20210118_071124.jpg

1 hour ago, Roberts Orca said:

Stern filler blocks will get glued in next. Then more shaping. She's starting to take shape. 

Robert:

Take special care with the stern fillers.

Corel’s plans show you must sand out half of them. I did it that way and as you noticed in my blog, that turned out into an incorrect shape of the hull on the stern side (they needed much more sanding). Check how much you need to sand out in order to get a more gentle curvature specially on the lower part closer to the keel. 

Keep up the good work !!!

14 hours ago, Eugenio Treviño said:

Robert:

Take special care with the stern fillers.

Corel’s plans show you must sand out half of them. I did it that way and as you noticed in my blog, that turned out into an incorrect shape of the hull on the stern side (they needed much more sanding). Check how much you need to sand out in order to get a more gentle curvature specially on the lower part closer to the keel. 

Keep up the good work !!!

Thank you so much Eugenio for the heads up. When taking a real close look at the proper form of the hull, especially at the stern, there really isn't much room for the filler blocks they provided. I'll have to work this area quite a bit. Thank you again. 

Best regards,    Robert.

Looks good Robert! The deck staining turned out very well. As you get into planking, you may want to consider sanding down the forward and rear facing corners of your forward and aft bulkheads, respectively. This provides more bulkhead surface for your planks to adhere to rather than just the bulkhead edge. This is especially truce in the more forward and aft bulkheads. 

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Looks good Robert! The deck staining turned out very well. As you get into planking, you may want to consider sanding down the forward and rear facing corners of your forward and aft bulkheads, respectively. This provides more bulkhead surface for your planks to adhere to rather than just the bulkhead edge. This is especially truce in the more forward and aft bulkheads. 

Thanks so much Rob. You're so right about changing the angle of the bulkheads. I'm discovering that the fairing in process is a slow journey. 

I am looking forward to the planking. I'm getting excited to see the hull take shape. Thank you for your input. Best regards,   Robert. 

The stern filler blocks have been shaped to the hull. So glad my wife bought me that dremel tool 🙂

Before I can do any hull planking, I need to get the next deck in place. And before I can do that, I need to put the other companion way ladder and grate in. So I built and installed the tiny ladder. Put in the grating and trim. Put a little tung oil on it, I think I'm ready to put in the deck beams.

Here's some photos. 

Best regards,    Robert 

20210131_154138.jpg

20210131_154210.jpg

20210131_154229.jpg

20210131_154238.jpg

20210131_181307.jpg

20210131_181319.jpg

20210131_181347.jpg