HIJMS MIKASA 1902 by Jeff59 - HobbyBoss - 1/200 - PLASTIC

• 3 weeks later...

Evening guys, been held up by lack of enthusiasm and other jobs but have kicked myself back into action 🙄   Shall start with a small update on the little I have achieved.  With the spars fitted to the main mast the next issue is keeping them there as the slightest touch dislodges them as I can testify, bet everyone is the same at this stage of the build, can’t wait to see it in a protective display case, ie stop breaking it and stop having to dust it. 😂 Anyway, fitted the tiny eyelets to spars, min glue is the secret here because you don’t want to block the even tinnier holes for the rigging, and yes, they are needed.😂 I had to doctor some of the etch for my own ends, the actual etch rigging for the spars had to remove apart from a tiny part, this I used for glueing my Lycra rigging to. Also had to add additional wire and etch for walking ropes underneath the spars whatever the terminology is for this, but it’s all fiddly. Shall put some photos up shortly, got to go for my tea. 😂

Next goal was to mask of for painting, and paint. Then it was assembly top mast and do some rigging then fit etch ladders. Next stage is to fit more etch and more rigging and start working on the jib, but feeling when I get this mast fitted onto model I will have turned the last big corner. 🤞Take some photos and post, next time the mast shall be on ship and rigged. 😊 Then I’ll be a happy bunny. 🤛

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff59

Short post just to highlight a point in the mast build, have decided to fit photo etch rigging two pieces at a time this time as painting all six fitted at once was a nightmare to hand paint, honestly I was like Clarence the cross-eyed lion from the series Daktari for those old enough to remember this. 😂

70BD8729-2E1E-4D82-A135-37D22DAB5EF7.jpeg

A77EA2B3-80DD-4719-B40D-F028C79231B4.jpeg

A85C63A3-58A7-4C65-81C4-83374026F94F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Started on fitting the jib to this mast had to make some minor alterations because of gun tub position, the wire etch running down to jib support had to be rethought and reworked ie passing through the gun tub. My answer is total speculation as there’s no information as to where the cables run to, Pontos just stop the etch at the jib support to the mast, they must have gave up as well, I would have thought the winches on main deck were for the jib, but can’t even remotely see how it might work, plus no winches on forward mast so I’m just burying my head in sand on this one. 😂 also  altered some of etch from pulleys on mast as deemed them a little heavy, so cut of and replaced with 0.2 wire, did this on fore mast as well, much cussing and swearing trying to get this all to work, have came to the conclusion that metal etch rigging can be a bitch. 😳

4963255C-2828-4340-BFA4-5317622047DF.jpeg

F560F559-73D2-458F-8A4A-73F55EC56D10.jpeg

FB0C95E9-9742-4D61-97B2-EEB8CB0E29B2.jpeg

937158BC-B9D2-4580-B881-D1191424E06E.jpeg

Edited by Jeff59

Hi guys still trying to get to end of build, fitted the main mast, almost managed to get it right with the gorilla glue, just slightly out of being vertically true by a couple of millimetres, just have to live with it you ain’t moving this mast now 🙄 certainly a challenge when your trying to get it level in two planes, spars ninety degrees across deck and jib at a certain angle across to boat deck, in ten seconds 😂 Sod’s law when I tried cold fit I managed to locate mast in hole in deck almost right away, but not when I had applied the glue, must have taken about three precious seconds, could feel the panic rising 😂 but just managed or at least I thought I had, a well I’ll live with it. That’s some glue 10 seconds and solid. Tied in a few bits of rigging. My next goal is work on those lovely boats from Micro Master and continue with rigging as in fore mast. Does look more like a Mikasa now though. 👍 Put a few pictures up to show progress 🤛

F6C72A0B-9D60-4C11-AE46-2EBCB33987CF.jpeg

843287B8-9B4A-4992-B7E3-D52DD1CAA00B.jpeg

FDEE6A77-93C1-4151-964D-F8A3FED15737.jpeg

C2F7BDBC-4462-4BA4-B504-BF304A240EB3.jpeg

6F4687A4-7C79-4955-920E-69E624F66ADE.jpeg

F08B6F0C-4EFB-4419-A5C5-C6F11948CB51.jpeg

Edited by Jeff59

It’s hello again from Jeff, some acrylic paints and brushes arrived today for me to experiment painting some detailing on ships boats so fortunately I have some extra boats for practice work, so going to dive in the deep end and see if I can swim. 🤪 took some more photos in a better light as my camera skills are zero. Still trying to tweak the masts slightly, might just manage to steal a little bit I hope, no pain no gain as they say. 🤞

473DF225-0726-479D-8BB6-B3906908CDB4.jpeg

5D56A4B8-1B71-4BCE-8AF8-53A2E85EA867.jpeg

25198C70-465B-4948-868A-8C9727278B7D.jpeg

EA340719-FE9E-44FF-B58E-DAFCC74E5774.jpeg

1D70BA4D-0432-4D8D-A58E-55F2F5782033.jpeg

5905246D-C0ED-4F18-9DD8-43934DE8CBAB.jpeg

CCDEB3D9-9241-4D95-BFE6-49F2A65B3BA5.jpeg

Edited by Jeff59

Thanks Yves, it’s been quite a journey to get here, but have to say this part of the build is the most pleasurable, just seeing it coming together, never thought I could achieve this, think Jacqueline is surprised as well, especially if I finish it 😂 a wee bit to go yet though but it will all add up in the end. 🤛 thanks again 👍It will feel strange to actually start on the Bismarck when the time comes, but I do feel it shall be a less stressful build, fingers 🤞

Edited by Jeff59

18 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Jeff,

It is funny you mentioned the Bismarck waiting in the queue.... I do have the Mikasa, Bismarck and now Yamato in my queue. I think I need a couple more lives to finish them all.

YVes

My queue is longer and my time shorter 😂 give you a laugh I have Bismarck, Titanic, Hornet, Hood, Iowa and an Arizona not started, considering buying Yamato Scharnhorst and Rodney and this is just in 1/200 scale and I kid you not there are hundreds of other models some of them serious, even want to buy the x wingnut wings 1/32 Lancaster, have been building Mikasa for two years past, what do you think my chances are, and don’t say asylum 😂

I came to this build log late, but will now definitely stick around. She's beautiful. Those ships' boats are small models all themselves.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Glad to have you on board and thanks for the compliment 🤛 Regarding the ships boats from Micro Master they are bit expensive but trust me if you like quality and detail well worth it, they are very very delicate though, better to buy extra so you learn what not to do 😂 Another learning curve I’d say. They do have these boats in a range of scales including 1/700  I’m totally sold on them, by the way you ought to see some of the weapons armaments, superb. 👍

Edited by Jeff59

• 1 month later...

Sorry for long delay in posting, took quite a while painting ships boats, trying to get best out of them then when I did try to post nothing worked on the eye pad was like it had froze. So this is new iPad , obviously working now👍 shall do a little more painting today and make a post up showing progress soon as. This is aimed at the modellers still alive following this build log. 😂

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. This is going to be stressful, trying to work with this new iPad, frustrating is the word. Spent quite a lot of time painting and trying to add some extra details to 50ft steam pinnace, using the etched boat wheel, brass portholes and anchor from Pontos along with some boat hooks fitted onto cabin sides, the rest was down to painting, some spraying but mainly small paint brush picking out details, also used Micro Kristal clear to get glazed effect on portholes and cabin windows, also did this on port side of the ship itself, think it works okay. 👍 painting the open boats much the same procedure in trying to highlight details of these little gems, the one downside is the plastic these boats are made from is extremely brittle, so advice here is buy extra. As usual with my build I have to work outwards and upwards, so had to do a little tricky rigging on mainmast from small yard arms with pulleys on upper searchlight platform, fitting some fine Lycra around pulleys and tying of on bridge structure hand rails, on starboard side on this rigging there seams to be a green ball like item, can only guess it’s something to do with navigation for port and starboard sides ? Anyway made this from plastic spruce for kit parts just filling and scraping till I ended up with a ball, drilled this with a 0.3 drill before cutting from spruce, a tiny spot of thin glue pinned ‘‘this in place, then painted. This worked a treat, more effective than I thought it would be, lucky white heather 👌 I will try and put some pictures up now, your bound to be getting fed up reading this 😂 here goes.

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

Edited by Jeff59

Sorry about that last post guys, have to get used to this iPad, did it the usual way but for some reason photos turned upside down, maybe had the iPad upside down when using camera, see if I can improve my zero skills in computing.  Was at my local modeling club a few nights ago, speaking to a gentleman who used to be in navy and retired, asked him about the green ball on the rigging, he recons it was a signal that the ship is at anchor.  On the rigging side of things, it’s down to looking at as many photos as you can of MIKASA and similar class battleships and making your best judgment. Managing to get a resemblance I hope.