Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/48 scale - POB

Elia:

Thanks. It was a good deal of work, but I am happy with the finished product.

Russ

Wow, Russ..  

Thinking how did I miss this beauty. She looks great and that deck, amazing work done!

Keep it up please.

Bugra. 

There is nothing that a little sanding can't solve.. Bugra.

Current Builds : 

H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Bugra - 1/48

Turkish Traditional Ship - Surmene Takasi by Bugra - 1:35

Bugra:

Thanks for your very kind words. I appreciate it.

Russ

John:

Thanks.

Getting the fit on the very outer planks was not the easiest. In the center and about 5-6 strakes out, it was just about simple cuts and making a nice subtle curve. Those last two strakes were tough. Although I have seen evidence of nibbing on some schooners down here, the little contemporary photographic evidence I have seen shows none. That makes it tough to get those outer planks to fit with such a long subtle curve to cut.

I wear head band magnifiers so that if the joints look good under magnification, they will look good when viewed with the naked eye. :)

Russ

Very nice decking - looks nice and tight and clean.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam:

Thanks for dropping by and for the kind words.

Russ

Not really much to add.  It looks terrific!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie:

Thanks. I am glad the mistakes do not show up that much. :)

Russ

More progress tonight. Now that the deck is planked, the next thing will be the deadeyes and chainplates. My first pass at these was ... bad. Really bad. So, I decided to reengineer the chainplates a bit. Hopefully, this attempt will be better.

The important issue is scale. The lower deadeyes and chainplates will all be painted white, but they need to appear in scale. That means everything has to be smaller than what I am used to working with. The chainplate is a simple strap with a loop soldered into its top end. However, there needs to be at least two fastenings for the strap into the hull. At this size and scale, that is a problem. The brass nails I have in stock are too large. So, I have made the strap with its loop and then drilled two holes in the strap into which two pieces of brass wire were soldered. The outer edges of each wire was trimmed and left just proud of the strap to appear like bolt heads. The wires go into the holes in the side of the hull. I will probably add a dab of CA to secure them. Even without glue, they are snug in their holes, but the CA should give some strength as well. 

Here are some pics. I still need to clean up the shape of the strap, but it should look okay once the hull is painted. There will be a wooden cap over the edge of the rail hiding that tear out along the edge of the rail. The strap is about 1/32" wide and the holes for the wires are .018" diameter.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

post-164-0-71707600-1392532776_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-68717200-1392532791_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully it will look okay after it is under a coat of paint. :)

Russ

Alfons:

Thanks. It is good to be able to get some time in the shop. I am sure you will get yours soon as well. :)

Russ

That second version looks pretty good Russ; a case of practice makes perfect :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat and John:

Thanks. I have since got the deadeye and strap on that chainplate and it does not look that bad.

Russ

Dave:

Thanks. I enjoy making small details, but having said that, I think my next schooner model is going to be a larger scale. :)

Thanks to everyone who clicked "like". :)

Russ

Beautiful Rus I like the way you spiled in the planks.

Just about all ships have fascinating curves,only one other shape beats it. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed planking this hull. Once you plank a hull with properly spiled and tapered planks. it beats doing it any other way.

Russ

Russ,

Rather than marring the rails, you might try cutting a slot (though yours may be a bit small). I borrowed from a tool used to cut hinge slots in RC airplanes. The tool had two blades, one was sharpened to a point and the second had a sharpened vee notch. The point makes the slot and the vee cleans the slot. I made my tool using the same strap as the chain plates .063 x .014 inch. Teh vee notch is just visible at the top end. Your strip may be too small make a practical tool.

Dave B

post-993-0-35832800-1392612815_thumb.jpg

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Dave:

Thanks very much for the suggestion, but mine have to be cut in from outside of the railing and then have the cap placed over the edge of the railing. That is a well known local method that shows in many old photos. I just need to be more careful in my use of the file. :)

Nice work on your model, by the by. :)

Russ

Here is a photograph from the 1920s showing one type of chainplate arrangement for a local schooner. Note the cap over the edge of the rail.

My deadeye strap will be greatly simplified for the current model, but in the future I plan to build a plank on frame version at 1/24 scale which will incorporate this kind of deadeye strap.

Russ

post-164-0-00698100-1392618854_thumb.jpg

My plan is to build the large scale model fully framed. I have the drawings nearly completed, but I still need to add a lot of details. I also need to get more done in the shop before I can begin the larger model.

Russ

Elia:

Thanks. I am not entirely happy with them, but I think they will work once the hull is painted and everything is in place. :)

Russ

Russ, it's been a pleasure catching up on your latest work--all very nicely done!  Wow, the size of those chain plates you made--1/32" makes my eyes hurt (thank goodness for our magnification visors--I often think that's the best tool I have in my box!)--and really liked how you made the pins for them--well done!    

Glad you're getting some time in the shop, and I'll look forward to your 1/24 build when you start her:  fully framed will be a beauty to see!

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build: