HMS Bounty by AdamA - 1:48

The starboard hawse frames are mostly finished. The port side is just starting to come together. I used a Microlux table saw with the blade at the proper angle to cut four parallel slots into the block that will eventually be sanded down to the first cant frames. Its not pretty at the beginning but it guarantees a proper fit in those joints.

20220112_141538.jpg

Just a thought when assembling the futtocks and floor and such....  When I print out the individual frames, I print one on label paper which will be cut into pieces and stuck on the pre-thicknessed pieces of wood and a second print out on plain paper.  When assembling and gluing, it is done on top of the plain paper copy so I know that they are perfectly aligned.    

Allan

1470593808_Billetwithfuttocksreadytocutout.thumb.jpg.6231b20fa39b391212412619ee66a740.jpg

919306504_Frameondrawing2.thumb.jpg.4e220d3b6b51457ffe1b0caf9faec171.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

21 hours ago, allanyed said:

Just a thought when assembling the futtocks and floor and such....  When I print out the individual frames, I print one on label paper which will be cut into pieces and stuck on the pre-thicknessed pieces of wood and a second print out on plain paper.  When assembling and gluing, it is done on top of the plain paper copy so I know that they are perfectly aligned.    

Allan

1470593808_Billetwithfuttocksreadytocutout.thumb.jpg.6231b20fa39b391212412619ee66a740.jpg

919306504_Frameondrawing2.thumb.jpg.4e220d3b6b51457ffe1b0caf9faec171.jpg

Funny you should mention it because the frame I made in the picture above came out all wrong lol. It had too much curve somehow. I straightened it overnight in a vice. I'm going to use your method on the next one.

Edited by AdamA

Please post your results and let us know how it goes.  I am adding another photo we show in the Euryalus book and is a step I still often use.    The blocks are scrap steel cutoffs that I got from a local machine shop for free many years ago and are still quite useful.  There are pieces of scrap wood that you can see in the photo so the steel blocks stay flat on the futtocks.

Allan

2096002405_Weightedframeassembly1.thumb.jpg.9802c5e33cf5a2666964b63e4d1786fb.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I'm using the faired sacrificial first set of frames to give me the correct shape for the new frames. Since I'm doing this all with pencil and paper, instead of with computer aided design, most of my original frames had the chocks and scarfs either off centered or faired away altogether. This time they should all end up pretty close to perfectly centered. Also, all the joint lines will flow down the hull correctly from frame to frame this time. I might have to start using a computer for my next ship.

20220114_140945.jpg

Edited by AdamA

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Please post your results and let us know how it goes.  I am adding another photo we show in the Euryalus book and is step I still often use.    The blocks are scrap steel cutoffs that I got from a local machine shop for free many years ago and are still quite useful.  There are pieces of scrap wood that you can see in the photo so the steel blocks stay flat on the futtocks.

Allan

2096002405_Weightedframeassembly1.thumb.jpg.9802c5e33cf5a2666964b63e4d1786fb.jpg

You can see the port side frame that i had to clamp overnight glued onto the aft side of those unsanded hawse frames I posted.

These look good.   They are obviously overly heavy regarding the moulded dimension, as they should be, to allow fairing, but you might want to reduce the moulded dimension a little more before erecting the frames.  The fairing can be done either way, but as the top timber moulded dimension is probably in the neighborhood of 4" at the top,  maybe get it down to something a little closer before setting them in place.   Whatever works best for you is the way to go, but I have done it both ways and find the less fairing needed the more I like it.

Continuing to enjoy your log, thanks for sharing.

Allan